Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

listening to bbc radio 1. and they're discussing if Bale is the 3rd best player in the world, fucking ludicrous.  :lol:

Nope, he's THE World's Best Player. Stupid BBC.

It probably is if you're Italian, with an Italian accent and mannerisms.

Eh? But if that's how it is pronounced then surely the more annoying thing would be to pronounce it incorrectly?

Would you expect an Italian to pronounce your name in the same way you would? It just sounds weird when people break the natural barrier of their dialect to pronounce a foreign name.

Smoggies pronounce "A" as "air", Southerners pronounce "fast" as "farst", it's not exactly the same thing but it works the same way, the Italians just add a weird "A" sound to some things.

I don't think I would ever be annoyed at a foreigner pronouncing my name wrong, I would find it awkward if he was deliberately breaking the flow of his sentences to speak it in the correct manner though.

It probably is if you're Italian, with an Italian accent and mannerisms.

Eh? But if that's how it is pronounced then surely the more annoying thing would be to pronounce it incorrectly?

Would you expect an Italian to pronounce your name in the same way you would? It just sounds weird when people break the natural barrier of their dialect to pronounce a foreign name.

Smoggies pronounce "A" as "air", Southerners pronounce "fast" as "farst", it's not exactly the same thing but it works the same way, the Italians just add a weird "A" sound to some things.

I don't think I would ever be annoyed at a foreigner pronouncing my name wrong, I would find it awkward if he was deliberately breaking the flow of his sentences to speak it in the correct manner though.

I wouldn't expect them to, but I think I'd think it would be a nice try.

Guest Craig-NUFC

The flapping your arms about, almost crying and stopping teammates celebrating that players do when they score against former clubs.

The flapping your arms about, almost crying and stopping teammates celebrating that players do when they score against former clubs.

Yes, though the worst is the really forced ones where they clearly want to but think showing you're happy to score against some club whose supporters barely give a damn about you anymore, see Sturridge against Man City. I mean really. I can understand it perhaps if Raul scored against Real Madrid or something, but anything less...

Guest Craig-NUFC

Mandzukic against Wolfsburg?

Yep. He spent 2 year there and the way he acted was like he had played there from the age of 10.

I wouldn't have minded. I have nothing against Nolan, he did well for us and moved on quietly and has never said anything other than nice about us (iirc), I don't see why him celebrating would disrespect us. If he had run up to our fans and taunted of course, but you've scored a goal for your current team I don't see what's wrong with celebrating that. It seems to have become this thing that celebrating is disrespectful to the other team and while sure some are mostly no it's fine

What a bizarre thing to be annoyed about. :lol:

It's nice to see a player show respect in that situation.

What a bizarre thing to be annoyed about. :lol:

It's nice to see a player show respect in that situation.

I think this has kinda already been through the ringer but it all seems a bit fake to me, and I'm not much offended at the thought of players celebrating goals provided it's not a provocative celebration or they were so closely associated with that club that it's genuine.

Players being (in their opinion) fouled and grab the ball as they go down. I would book them every time, even if they do get the free kick.

Yes, every f***ing time. Barely can think of anyone getting booked for it either

Totally agree. So annoying

I know it's cliche as fuck but I would say Jonas is a plaery who falls rather than dives. Stevie G style.

I cannot imagine him being the kind of player who would full on Andy Carroll dive in the box, and I don't think his actions outside of the box would win him a penalty (if it was in the box of course).

I know it's cliche as fuck but I would say Jonas is a plaery who falls rather than dives. Stevie G style.

I cannot imagine him being the kind of player who would full on Andy Carroll dive in the box, and I don't think his actions outside of the box would win him a penalty (if it was in the box of course).

Aye, I feel like a hypocrite because I hate diving but he doesn't really dive (ie go down under no or very little contact) but when someone gives him any physicality he will drop.

Not one to roll around like they have been murdered either usually but he definitely could withstand a lot of these challenges and if I was an opposing fan I would be screaming for him to "Get up you fucking fanny!!!".

Aye, he's just a fairly clever player in that respect - the player's quite often all over him but he's drawn the foul with the way he shapes his body and buys the free kick.

Going back to Solano, he was one of the most intelligent players we've ever had playing for us.  Apologies for slagging off Obertan but he was the opposite to Obertan in that his football intelligence was off the scale, his reading of the game was fantastic.  Loved that spell when he was sort of on his way out and played right-back for us for about half a season, he had a brilliant tendency of committing a cynical foul when the opposition was on the break, making it look like an accident then backing off making that gesture of a ball shape with his hands. :lol: Totally knew what he was doing every time and alleviated the pressure expertly without picking up many bookings.