Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

Spurs' ground being referred to as "THE LANE".

It's a fair cop, I do this a lot :lol:. I try to avoid it on here though - it's really for Spurs-Spurs conversation only. Sort of like "Stevie G" or "Giggsy", should never, ever be uttered on someone else's board/by a commentator.

You must be one of those cultural people! BORN 'IM!

What you mean by that?

I say, SIFU seems to appreciate why the Premier League (and by association it's football clubs), which is admired and watched around the world , might want to maximise it's advertising revenue by allowing foreign languages to appear in adverts. He must be a person of intellectual disposition. Someone please restrain him before he spreads this cultural awareness, and burn him at the stake.

Globally though the language with the most football (Premiership) watchers is English. Taking Japanese for an example, how many people who speak Japanese who watch the Premiership is there compared to how many who can speak English and watch the Premiership? Also take note that many people who's native language maybe say Japanese, or Chinese and watch the Premiership will also likely be able to speak English as a 2nd language.

In all honesty I'd say advertisers are cutting off their noses to spite their faces with it. Having their advertising in English would undoubtedly hit a larger target market than limiting to one language that is spoken primarily in one or a few countries compared to a language that is spoken worldwide. 

Not very likely. Chinese people's English (written and spoken) is atrocious, the only way you'll draw their attention to the PL is Chinese writing. The Far East is a very lucrative market so I can understand why they would have some form of advertising aimed at them.

Way to generalise Sifu. ;)

Clearly a new one, but come on!

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1740588.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/%C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3%20A%20Chelsea's%20fan%20holds%20a%20message%20in%20support%20of%20Frank%20Lampard-1740588.png

That's probably one of the first "keep calm" things that has actually made me laugh/not want to be sick.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Think i've said it before but commentators / pundits using "worldy".

:anguish:

Who used this?  :lol:

Guest neesy111

Think i've said it before but commentators / pundits using "worldy".

:anguish:

Who used this?  :lol:

Jonathan Pearce did on MOTD2 last night.

I think I've said before but when players don't give defenders options, and in turn, when defenders don't bring it out of defence and thus has to play an utterly pointless sideways pass to another defender.

On a related note, when a team starts a counter and somehow, thirty seconds later one of its defenders is giving a backpass to the keeper.

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1740588.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/%C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3%20A%20Chelsea's%20fan%20holds%20a%20message%20in%20support%20of%20Frank%20Lampard-1740588.png

A new one? There are so many possible pet hates in that picture :lol:.

Ah, I was so taken aback by the iPad wanker, I missed the cockney geezer flatcap, or the tourists taking photos, or the fact that its Chelsea. This picture is the devil.

Honestly, if I started listing all the things I hate about that picture, I'd still be going come Friday morning.

judging by some comments on facebook and twitter, some Newcastle fans seem more excited by Man Utd vs. Real Madrid tonight than they probably are for our game on Thursday.

Grim, imo and thus a new pet hate.

A little. Though I think people are looking forward to a good champions league game and hopefully seeing Man U get stung, whereas we have a game in the middle of Russia on ITV. Looking forward to hopefully catching both ???

People who have no idea about football forcing football conversations. Fucking painful. Flanked by Leeds 'fan' and a West Ham 'fan', neither really are football fans. That moment when you know what's coming, and you just think 'please don't'. The best line in the who exchange about Man Utd last night was 'Alex Ferguson must be getting on, now. I think he'll be wanting to get to 20 Champions League titles before he retires'.

Honestly, just don't fucking do it. Just stick to talking about cars.

The assumption that a referee should not make a decision that will "change the game".  Blah, Blah...referee should not have sent off Nani because it changed the game...blah blah.  You can argue that it didn;t deserve a Red card based on the actual challenge.....but expecting that the the player NOT be sent off because it would change the game is rediculous.

Commentators that say "This referee has clearly never played the game at this level, but I have.....blah blah blah".    Quite probably correct.....also probably correct is that the commentator has never refereed at this level, so actually you are only qualified to talk about playing the game, and not refereeing the game.

Guest Roger Kint

judging by some comments on facebook and twitter, some Newcastle fans seem more excited by Man Utd vs. Real Madrid tonight than they probably are for our game on Thursday.

Totally agree on that, know a lad who has agreed to do overtime 'for a free pizza' rather than watch us. He declined their offer on Tuesday though.

On a similar theme, few mackems were saying that we should all have got behind Man Utd as they were English. When asked about tonight they said 'fuck off' to supporting us :lol:

The assumption that a referee should not make a decision that will "change the game".  Blah, Blah...referee should not have sent off Nani because it changed the game...blah blah.  You can argue that it didn;t deserve a Red card based on the actual challenge.....but expecting that the the player NOT be sent off because it would change the game is rediculous.

They were saying the red changed the game obviously, but were they using that as a reason not to give it? Seems strange.

Totally agree on that, know a lad who has agreed to do overtime 'for a free pizza' rather than watch us. He declined their offer on Tuesday though.

On a similar theme, few mackems were saying that we should all have got behind Man Utd as they were English. When asked about tonight they said 'fuck off' to supporting us :lol:

I never do this, I couldn't care less if Man Utd get knocked out of Europe. Or any other English club except Newcastle.

Guest neesy111

I never do this, I couldn't care less if Man Utd get knocked out of Europe. Or any other English club except Newcastle.

This.