Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

I think I've said before but when players don't give defenders options, and in turn, when defenders don't bring it out of defence and thus has to play an utterly pointless sideways pass to another defender.

The handball rule really should be re-written. Today it was IMO a penalty as Fox had his hand so high and it denied a clear scoring opportunity. There's no clear ruling and it's all down to the current ref's opinion.

Massive pet hate is players claiming for a handball everytime the ball hits opposing player.

There is a clear rule though, it has to be deliberate. The problem is that somehow referees have started giving penalties under pressure for stuff that is clearly not deliberate.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

You must be one of those cultural people! BORN 'IM!

What you mean by that?

I say, SIFU seems to appreciate why the Premier League (and by association it's football clubs), which is admired and watched around the world , might want to maximise it's advertising revenue by allowing foreign languages to appear in adverts. He must be a person of intellectual disposition. Someone please restrain him before he spreads this cultural awareness, and burn him at the stake.

Adverts in Premiership grounds in foreign languages. For a while the FIFA 13 advert has been in Japanese writing, and now Spurs are showing an advert in Chinese.

Coming over here taking our advertising.

What you mean by that?

I say, SIFU seems to appreciate why the Premier League (and by association it's football clubs), which is admired and watched around the world , might want to maximise it's advertising revenue by allowing foreign languages to appear in adverts. He must be a person of intellectual disposition. Someone please restrain him before he spreads this cultural awareness, and burn him at the stake.

Globally though the language with the most football (Premiership) watchers is English. Taking Japanese for an example, how many people who speak Japanese who watch the Premiership is there compared to how many who can speak English and watch the Premiership? Also take note that many people who's native language maybe say Japanese, or Chinese and watch the Premiership will also likely be able to speak English as a 2nd language.

In all honesty I'd say advertisers are cutting off their noses to spite their faces with it. Having their advertising in English would undoubtedly hit a larger target market than limiting to one language that is spoken primarily in one or a few countries compared to a language that is spoken worldwide. 

Unless said company was specifically targeting that market and wanting to link their product with the Premier League brand in said market then it would make perfect sense.

Unless said company was specifically targeting that market and wanting to link their product with the Premier League brand in said market then it would make perfect sense.

Then you would have to ask another question to those adverting companies. If they are targeting a small area, one country or a small amount of countries then wouldn't it be more effective advertise locally/regionally instead of paying some of the highest rates of advertising in the Premiership?

The Premiership is a great opportunity if you are targeting a global audience but if your not then I would have thought that there would be more effective and more cost effective ways of advertising.

What you mean by that?

Globally though the language with the most football (Premiership) watchers is English. Taking Japanese for an example, how many people who speak Japanese who watch the Premiership is there compared to how many who can speak English and watch the Premiership? Also take note that many people who's native language maybe say Japanese, or Chinese and watch the Premiership will also likely be able to speak English as a 2nd language.

In all honesty I'd say advertisers are cutting off their noses to spite their faces with it. Having their advertising in English would undoubtedly hit a larger target market than limiting to one language that is spoken primarily in one or a few countries compared to a language that is spoken worldwide. 

Not very likely. Chinese people's English (written and spoken) is atrocious, the only way you'll draw their attention to the PL is Chinese writing. The Far East is a very lucrative market so I can understand why they would have some form of advertising aimed at them.