St James' Park

Delima

9 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I fully expected a calm, measured response from Twitter.

There’s actually been a lot of good and reasoned debate on there. The overwhelming majority I have read aren’t happy about the manner of the survey nor the view of what is to come

off the back of it

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

Mental isn't it. Bruce got near enough zero abuse, same with McClaren. Pardew hot the most yest he qas much better than either of those 2. Any anti Ashley sentiment inside the ground disappeared when he disbanded the singing corner.

Aside from that, thinking back to the 90s when a new stadium on Castle Leazes was being mooted, I'd say more fans were in support of it than against it. Certainly no major grumblings about it back then. Strange how supporters views on this have changed so much over the years.

I find myself identifying less with our fanbase each season tbh. Bring back the early 00's when everything was gravy :(

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

Mental isn't it. Bruce got near enough zero abuse, same with McClaren. Pardew hot the most yest he qas much better than either of those 2. Any anti Ashley sentiment inside the ground disappeared when he disbanded the singing corner.

Aside from that, thinking back to the 90s when a new stadium on Castle Leazes was being mooted, I'd say more fans were in support of it than against it. Certainly no major grumblings about it back then. Strange how supporters views on this have changed so much over the years.

Perhaps because it was before so many clubs changed their traditional homes to nee stadiums?

This was circa 96-97 I think?

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Option 3 for me.  SJP was always a pain in the arse to get to from most of the city’s watering holes - it’s not as ‘central’ as is often made out.  The Arena site makes access to Central Station easier, and is easier to get to and from most of the pubs.  And it would redevelop that entire area. 

Conversely SJP is much closer to Monument, Haymarket, SJP Metro and Haymarket bus station. It is definitely far more more central in my opinion and better served in terms of transport. 

On the other point, I'd agree. It would certainly develop that part of the city. While the site is already slated for residential/mixed development there's a reason it's taken years for anything to come forward. It's a money pit in terms of remediation work and a patchwork quilt of land ownership. I'm still not convinced it'll ever be properly delivered without central govt money. A Saudi backed football club consolidating the lot and throwing good money after bad on infrastructure is one of the few types of investor that could properly deliver it with north east land values. 

4 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Yep, we got over 100k signatures to move, while the ‘Friends of Leazes Park’ lot were in Sunderland collecting signatures.

Not sure when some of the patter about not being able to leave SJP started.  I wouldn’t ever want to see the club go to an out-of-city stadium, but I don’t remember many getting misty-eyed in 1996 about moving - it was exciting.  A new ground would help us smash FFP and would represent a bright new start.

I also don’t see the PIF getting the international money brigade in to watch matches at a refurbed SJP.  There’s only so much you can do there.  The ground doesn’t have the ability to cater to mass corporate ticketing.  We’ll move in the medium term, would be my bet. 

5 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Perhaps because it was before so many clubs changed their traditional homes to nee stadiums?

This was circa 96-97 I think?

Aye would have been around then. Remember people being pretty excited about tbe idea of a new stadium back then. Middlesbroughs new ground would have been just about built at the time and Sunderlands would have been under construction.

What’s happening on twitter?

My other half got the survey and I filled it out on her behalf. :lol:

I made it clear that a new stadium should be no more than 10 minutes walk from the existing site.

Thought the survey in general was fine. Are people really twisting about this?

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, we got over 100k signatures to move, while the ‘Friends of Leazes Park’ lot were in Sunderland collecting signatures.

Not sure when some of the patter about not being able to leave SJP started.  I wouldn’t ever want to see the club go to an out-of-city stadium, but I don’t remember many getting misty-eyed in 1996 about moving - it was exciting.  A new ground would help us smash FFP and would represent a bright new start.

I also don’t see the PIF getting the international money brigade in to watch matches at a refurbed SJP.  There’s only so much you can do there.  The ground doesn’t have the ability to cater to mass corporate ticketing.  We’ll move in the medium term, would be my bet. 

If I'm being totally honest I've never been a fan of SJP since the extension in 2000. I've been unlucky enough to be put up in Level 7 three times so far this season and it's horrible. You just feel so detached from it all and there's more atmosphere on the moon. At the Chelsea game a dad and lad next to us trying to identify various landmarks from over the East Stand roof instead of watching the game. Says it all really.

5 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

If I'm being totally honest I've never been a fan of SJP since the extension in 2000. I've been unlucky enough to be put up in Level 7 three times so far this season and it's horrible. You just feel so detached from it all and there's more atmosphere on the moon. At the Chelsea game a dad and lad next to us trying to identify various landmarks from over the East Stand roof instead of watching the game. Says it all really.

Agree with this

57 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Called it in the summer. Membership ticket prices are up 26%. ST holders will follow (3% increase this season).

This is just another case of “we’ve asked the supporters in a survey but have already made our minds up”.

Could have quoted about 20 posts here, but just a reminder to all that you have an incredibly important job as a consumer, and that's whenever any corporate entity asks you about pricing you must always tell them their prices are too high. Even if they're not.

They're asking permission to increase. Don't give it.

This survey hints at what I've always thought, that the owners have earmarked a new stadium. Main reasons for this (imo)

- cost of extension with limited seats

- the amount of people affected whilst extension is built

- large increased revenue/commercial opportunities with new stadium (main reason imo)

- no other temporary alternative for building new stadium at current location 

I've always been for a new stadium as long as it's built within the city limits. The length of contract for the new fan zone seems convenient (again imo) to run in conjunction of a new stadium being built. I'm expecting an announcement next year sometime stating that after full exploration into all options, the club will be moving to X location (wouldn't be surprised if it's already agreed) and building a new stadium due to x, y and z.

Edited by et tu brute

5 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I'm expecting an announcement next year sometime stating that after full exploration into all options, the club will be moving to X location (wouldn't be surprised if it's already agreed) and building a new stadium due to x, y and z.

I'd almost put money not this outcome. Fingers crossed it's Leazes.

For whoever wanted wor flags to make a statement...

Personally I wouldn't mind a new stadium. Just wouldn't want it to be in the middle of nowhere. Gotta keep it in the town somehow. Just keep thinking they'll put it near Gosforth Park or something mental

How corporate it's all getting is grim like. I don't give a fuck whether I can eat sushi in the ground.

My biggest fear is them wanting people on the stadium early, eating their overpriced food and shite beer. The best way to do that? Move away from the town. Would kill the club as we know it. Really hope that isn't the case.

Hopefully Stavely et al have a bit of nous about this. I don't want to leave SJP at all but I do feel like eventually, it may become inevitable. The arena site would the most ideal location.