St James' Park

Delima

Aha thanks.  Few things to note but I find it strange that he's outing Ashley as a Chelsea fan. :lol:

does it matter ? we know he wasn't an nufc fan originally. however if i bought burnley i'm damn sure i'd become a burnley fan.

Aha thanks.  Few things to note but I find it strange that he's outing Ashley as a Chelsea fan. :lol:

does it matter ? we know he wasn't an nufc fan originally. however if i bought burnley i'm damn sure i'd become a burnley fan.

Not saying it matters man anyway.  You're allowed to comment on stuff without there being deeper meaning.

“The naming rights is such a passionate thing. It’s not about being disrespectful or taking away the tradition or the history of the club - it’s about trying to get another Yohan Cabaye out there on the pitch. That’s how we see it.

"To optimise our commercial side, we needed to get that in there - other clubs do it.

Wonder how much we're getting from it then?

Haha, right in the middle of a big Llambias article is this:

Newcastle sources admit the best scenario may be for a business such as their existing shirt sponsors Virgin Money - who are based in the city - to buy the naming rights... and then rename the ground St James’ Park.

“What a PR coup that would be,” a club source said.

:lol:

Guest michaelfoster

Hearing the NUFC fans tried to rip down Sports Direct signs at SDA tonight, though they could only get up to 90% off

/gets coat

Strange to say that even him and Mike still call it SJP. Surely he's just down-playing the importance of the naming rights to any potential buyer.

"Hey, come and call our stadium after your brand, everyone will hate you and still use the old name anyway". Form an orderly queue sponsors.

Sadly, reserve games at SJP always seem to attract an annoying bunch of immature schoolkids who show very little interest in the game but seem intent on childish misbehaviour. Last night probably gave them something to hang their hats on.

It will be a shame if it leads to more reserve games behind closed doors as I know older people and people with young kids who have always enjoyed going along.

Sadly, reserve games at SJP always seem to attract an annoying bunch of immature schoolkids who show very little interest in the game but seem intent on childish misbehaviour. Last night probably gave them something to hang their hats on.

It will be a shame if it leads to more reserve games behind closed doors as I know older people and people with young kids who have always enjoyed going along.

Did cross my mind, seems inevitable.

Is it good business for Ashley to have sports direct assocciated with pissing its customers off to such an extent that thety start tearing the advertising down. Because thats the message thats getting out.

Strange to say that even him and Mike still call it SJP. Surely he's just down-playing the importance of the naming rights to any potential buyer.

"Hey, come and call our stadium after your brand, everyone will hate you and still use the old name anyway". Form an orderly queue sponsors.

If other clubs don't take notice of his comments about the availability of our players, would other businesses take notice of his comments about the sponsorship of the stadium?

If other clubs don't take notice of his comments about the availability of our players, would other businesses take notice of his comments about the sponsorship of the stadium?

Who said other clubs don't take notice of his comments about players? Don't think I did, if that's why you posted that.

Newcastle United Owner Mike Ashley "Still Calls The Stadium St James' Park"

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley still calls the club's ground St James' Park, rather than the Sports Direct Arena, managing director Derek Llambias has admitted.

Magpies owner Ashley caused fury on Tyneside when he decided to re-name the 52,000 capacity stadium after his clothing business in a bid to attract a commercial sponsor.

One supporter was arrested after daubing the old name back on a wall in paint after the St James' Park sign was removed several weeks ago, and fans at Thursday night's 3-3 reserve team draw with Sunderland pulled down Sports Direct signs inside the ground.

However, Llambias has revealed neither he nor the owner use the new name.

"Naming rights is such a passionate thing, but it's not about being disrespectful or taking away the tradition or history of the club, it's about trying to get another Yohan Cabaye out there on the pitch," he told The Times.

"Do you think me and Mike call it the Sports Direct Arena? We call it St James' Park, because it is St James' Park.

"But, to optimise our commercial side, we needed to get that in there. Other clubs do it.

"Mike is a Chelsea supporter. Everyone thinks he is a Tottenham supporter, by the way, and that upsets him.

"But if Stamford Bridge was changing names, he'd have a view. It will always be Stamford Bridge.

"The same goes for St James'. But we have to do our best for the club and for the people who turn up to see the games."

http://tyneandwear.sky.com/newcastleunited/article/14459