St James' Park

Delima

Anybody else still get massively f***ed off when they remember what the ground is now officially called?

No man. :lol:

When I remember that Cantona goal in 1996, yes.

:huff:

I'm ashamed of you. But yes the Cantona goal too. Lucky cunt

Guest mimifrench

Will the current stadium have the sign "Sport Direct Arena" written in it (soon or maybe it's already the case??)?

http://www.wolves.co.uk/javaImages/db/b8/0,,10307~10533083,00.jpg

Well I meant not in the outside. I saw those signs during my trip a few weeks ago, just wanted to know if inside the stadium it was written...

I'm just so glad I took pictures of the "St James' Park" signs just a few days before they took them off... :smitten:

Will the current stadium have the sign "Sport Direct Arena" written in it (soon or maybe it's already the case??)?

http://www.wolves.co.uk/javaImages/db/b8/0,,10307~10533083,00.jpg

Well I meant not in the outside. I saw those signs during my trip a few weeks ago, just wanted to know if inside the stadium it was written...

I'm just so glad I took pictures of the "St James' Park" signs just a few days before they took them off... :smitten:

Sports Direct covers almost every inch of free space inside the stadium.

Nice :lol:

I like the photoshopped pic but is there a wizz kid who could replace the tacky Newcastle United sign with the proper Newcastle United sign?

Here is a photo I took from a couple of years ago, of course with all tacky signs removed.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/15x79lg.jpg

Quality picture :thup:

I'd love to see someone with proper Photoshop skills fire it together. Someone did it years ago and it looked incredible. I did a quick attempt but it doesn't really show much:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2rm1noz.jpg

:sweetjesus:

We find oil in Newcastle , everybody becomes rich and 85,000 is a reality.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting read behind the scenes here:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2012/04/03/newcastle-united-s-secret-bust-up-with-city-council-72703-30682202/

A SECRET war of words broke out between Newcastle United and the city council over renaming St James’ Park, the Chronicle can reveal today.

It blew up after members of the council passed a motion criticising club owner Mike Ashley’s decision to rebrand the stadium the Sports Direct Arena.

Council leader Nick Forbes and opposition leader David Faulkner wrote to the BBC, ITV and other broadcasters urging them not to use the new name.

And that prompted Derek Llambias, the club’s managing director, to write to Coun Forbes hinting at legal action.

In his letter, reproduced in full below, Mr Llambias accused Coun Forbes of a “cheap publicity stunt” and suggested court proceedings would follow if the club lost any money because of the council’s action.

The Chronicle obtained the correspondence using the Freedom of Information Act.

In his letter of January 25, Mr Llambias, wrote: “We feel that this issue is being used by the council as a cheap publicity stunt during these hard economic times.”

He went on: “As Councillor Forbes and Councillor Faulkner are no doubt aware Newcastle United Football Club have under the present ownership had to face up themselves to the era of austerity that affects all areas of life, of which professional football is no exception.

“Newcastle United also feel that it is only right to point out that several other professional football clubs around the country have re-named their stadiums in an effort to garner increased revenue.”

Mr Llambias goes on to say the club was heartened that the BBC, ITV and other broadcasters have been calling the stadium the Sports Direct Arena.

He leaves open the possibility United could sue the council or individuals such as Coun Forbes if the club loses income.

Coun Forbes replied two days later acknowledging the important role the club played in the community.

He went on: “All councillors are elected to reflect the views of their community, so given the groundswell of public opinion against a name change for the ground, it is perhaps not surprising that the council chose to debate this issue and pass a motion which reflected public sentiment at the time.

“That is democracy in action, and I am sure that similar debates occurred in Bolton, Stoke, Wigan and anywhere else that clubs have chosen to break with tradition and change the name of the ground.

“The outcry is lessened in the case of new build stadiums, as opposed to renaming a club’s traditional home.”

In his letter, Mr Llambias accused the council of double standards.

He wrote: “We were not aware of any such outcry when the Tyne Theatre and Opera House Theatre was renamed the ‘Mill Volvo Tyne Theatre’ (and before that the ‘Journal Tyne Theatre’ nor of any issues about a Grade 1 listed building having the corporate logo of ‘Volvo’ fixed to the front of the building.”

Today a council spokesman said: “The city council continues to work very closely with Newcastle United Football Club and enjoys a positive working relationship with the club on a number of projects, for example the Olympics and the Newcastle United Foundation, which are hugely beneficial to the city.

“The club, as a private business, have the right to sell sponsorship at the ground but they also have a responsibility towards the history and identity.

“There must be a common ground which allows the club to make money from sponsorship while maintaining the historic spirit of the name St James’ Park.

“There are no plans to rescind the motion that was agreed by council.

“To us, along with the vast majority of fans, the home of Newcastle United will always be called St James’ Park.”

Newcastle United refused to comment on the matter.

Letter from Llambias:

It is with surprise and disappointment that Newcastle United received a copy of your letter sent out to ITV and other media outlets in relation to the renaming of the old St James’ Park stadium to the Sports Direct Arena.

We note that a motion was passed by Newcastle City Council to contact the media and request that they use the name of St James’ Park and that the media were contacted and requested to use the name of "St James’ Park" and to refuse to use the correct name of "Sports Direct Arena".

Newcastle City Council will be aware of the prominent role that Newcastle United Football Club plays within the local community, and we feel that this issue is being used by the council as a cheap publicity stunt during these hard economic times.

Everyone within the local region is aware that Newcastle City Council has a "black hole" in the accounts which means that there will be further cuts in services and jobs by the Council this year.

Indeed in The Chronicle last October Councillor Forbes was quoted as saying "We are now having to pick up the pieces, and the issue for us is that this makes the savings we have to find next year even deeper.

They have ducked £8m worth of difficult decisions and instead left them for us to deal with."

As Councillor Forbes and Councillor Faulkner are no doubt aware, Newcastle United Football Club have, under the present ownership, had to face up themselves to the era of austerity that affects all areas of life of which professional football is of no exception. It has been well documented that the present owner of Newcastle United Football Club, Mike Ashley, has personally loaned the club over £100m and that a rationalisation of the whole operation of the football club has been undertaken.

Having gone through such hard exercises the club finds itself in an altogether more healthy and robust position than that which they were in upon Mike Ashley’s arrival.

Newcastle United also feel that it is only right to point out that several other professional football clubs around the country have renamed their stadiums in an effort to garner increased revenue for their clubs.

In the Premiership alone, Newcastle City Council must be aware that Arsenal Football Club now play at the Emirates Stadium, Manchester City now play at the Etihad Stadium, Stoke City play in the Britannia Stadium, Bolton Wanderers play at the Reebok Stadium, Wigan Athletic play at the DW Stadium and Swansea City play at the Liberty Stadium. There are, of course, many more professional football clubs in the football league that have renamed their stadium for precisely the same commercial reasons. We find

it difficult to understand Newcastle City Council’s intransigent approach to what is a basic economic factor of the modern era - namely maximising corporate revenue to ensure the survival of the football club. Again, the club finds such an approach by the council to be strange given that we were not aware of any such outcry when the Tyne Theatre and Opera House Theatre was renamed the ‘Mill Volvo Tyne Theatre" (and before that the "Journal Tyne Theatre") nor of any issues about a Grade 1 listed building having the corporate logo of "Volvo" fixed to the front of the building.

This would have nothing to do with the fact that Newcastle City Council purchased the theatre from Adderstone Properties and transferred the freehold ownership to the Tyne Theatre & Opera House Preservation Trust we are sure.

We also find it difficult to understand this antagonistic stance taken by the council given the high level of co-operation given by the club and council in the preparation of the successful bid to bring the 2012 Olympics to Newcastle with the club holding nine matches in the football competitions.

Newcastle City Council must be aware of the Newcastle United Foundation encompassing the widest ranging community football programme in the Premier League ranging from Disability Football Development Officers to Family Learning Co-ordinators through to Health & Wellbeing Co-ordinators reaching out and doing active work within the community.

Newcastle City Council will also be aware of the unprecedented steps taken by Newcastle United Football Club to reduce the costs of tickets for various members of the community such as young people aged between 18 and 21 and family ticket prices again showing the club’s awareness of the current economic situation that is faced by the area and the country as a whole. As we said at the start of this letter, we are surprised and disappointed at the approach taken by the council, but are heartened to note that the BBC, ITV and other media outlets have responded, quite properly, by confirming that they will refer to Newcastle United’s stadium as the "Sports Direct Arena" during the reporting of matters connected to the club as they do with other professional football clubs throughout England, Wales and Scotland.

If we suffer any financial loss as a result of Newcastle City Council’s actions we reserve the right to consider our legal position in respect of the actions of Newcastle City Council and/or actions of individual councillors for economic loss. It simply remains for us to ask Newcastle City Council to consider the role that Newcastle United Football Club plays within the community, the active steps that have been taken by the present ownership to strengthen the ties with the local community in real and p

ractical ways, and to review and rescind its motion and work together with Newcastle United Football Club in the future.

Yours faithfully

Derek Llambias,

Managing Director.

Response from Council:

Dear Mr Llambias

Thank you for your letter of the 25th January.

Local councillors are very aware of the important role which Newcastle United Football Club plays in the local community and the great emotional attachment many of the people we represent have towards the club.

All councillors are elected to reflect the views of their community, so given the groundswell of public opinion against a name change for the ground, it is perhaps not surprising that the Council chose to debate the issue and pass a motion which reflected public sentiment at the time. That is democracy in action, and I am sure that similar debates occurred in Bolton, Stoke, Wigan and anywhere else that clubs have chosen to break with tradition and change the name of their ground. The outcry is lessened in the case of new build stadiums, as opposed to renaming a club's traditional home.

That said, I do think it is important that we draw a distinction between the council fulfilling its democratic responsibility to reflect the views of local people, and our corporate role as a partner to local businesses. We do recognise and value the club's role in the community and share your concerns about the economic climate. It is important that the relationship between the Club and the Council remains strong. Your letter raises a number of points and concerns which I believe should be addressed constructively and in person, so I look forward to our meeting next month which I hope can be the beginning of more regular contact. Most importantly, I hope we can move towards a more positive dialogue about how we can work together in the best interest of the City and the Club.

Yours sincerely

Councillor Nick Forbes

Leader of Newcastle City Council.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Llambias talking about cheap publicity stunts ?! The Irony, looking at all the ugly adverts plastered around St James ' Park.

http://online.l.staticlocal.com/lcms/images/2012/03/27/16299/default/620/350/1332839405.jpg 

They can sue when they pay for their advertisements instead of depriving the club of commercial income 'in these harsh economic times'.

Exactly. Unless of course Sports Direct sue and not NUFC? Regardless, pleased to see the council is maintaining their stance, which proves it was not simply  a publicity stunt.

• 3 weeks later...

Nigel Adderley ‏ @nadderley  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open

To clarify, #uefa refuse to use sponsor's names when they refer to to stadia. It's 'Arsenal Stadium' etc. They will say St James Park #nufc

31m Nigel Adderley ‏ @nadderley  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open

Incentive for #nufc to reach Champions League : UEFA don't allowed sponsored stadia so home matches will be at St. James Park ! #bbcfootball

Guest Roger Kint

To clarify, #uefa refuse to use sponsor's names when they refer to to stadia. It's 'Arsenal Stadium' etc. They will say St James Park #nufc

Incentive for #nufc to reach Champions League : UEFA don't allowed sponsored stadia so home matches will be at St. James Park ! #bbcfootball

That explains the Fuzball Arena Munchen crap i read the other day, never knew that

UEFA :lol:

fighting the good fight against corporate tyranny :thup:

if only there were more UEFA's out there :(

I thought NUFC leased the ground from the council, if so, do they NUFC have to ask for planning permision for change of name or signs etc pretty sure that is the case.

That being the case they can't sue as they haven't the relevant permissions anyone put me straight on this.