St James' Park

Delima

6 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I didn’t mention shape of the stands [emoji38]

You can choose to believe whatever you like. SJP is a pain to put a gig on for various reasons which amount to further costs when compared to other similar venues, which is why it rarely happens.

You'll have to expand on that.

So anyway....it looks like with the link up with sela as an events organiser and the intention to create a fanzone within strawberry place could mean in the time frame that any potential expansion of SJP would have to wait till after 2028? 

16 minutes ago, Ben said:

Nee bother, in my informed opinion your full of shit.

That's a bit uncalled for, don't you think?

I'm glad you had a fantastic night. All of the production equipment that facilitated your lovely time had to be loaded in to the stadium. All of it arrives on articulated lorries which are cumbersome to get around city centres and difficult to find places to hold while they're being unloaded and to park over the weekend. The lorries are packed with large boxes, which hold the equipment, the boxes have wheels on them so they can be pushed to their final destination for setting up. The simplest version of this is that you park the trucks right next to where they're needed (stage, front of house desk, etc). Here I'm going to encourage you to think a little. You can't get a truck on to the SJP pitch, or anywhere near. How do you think those boxes got to where they need to be? Just take the equipment that was needed for the strawberry corner stage position. Where would you park the trucks to unload them and how far would you need to push the boxes? Where is there an access way big enough to load in really large items?

7 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I'm glad you had a fantastic night. All of the production equipment that facilitated your lovely time had to be loaded in to the stadium. All of it arrives on articulated lorries which are cumbersome to get around city centres and difficult to find places to hold while they're being unloaded and to park over the weekend. The lorries are packed with large boxes, which hold the equipment, the boxes have wheels on them so they can be pushed to their final destination for setting up. The simplest version of this is that you park the trucks right next to where they're needed (stage, front of house desk, etc). Here I'm going to encourage you to think a little. You can't get a truck on to the SJP pitch, or anywhere near. How do you think those boxes got to where they need to be? Just take the equipment that was needed for the strawberry corner stage position. Where would you park the trucks to unload them and how far would you need to push the boxes? Where is there an access way big enough to load in really large items?

Aye, your spot on with the logistics, that's probably why that Mackem flea pit gets chosen with so much space around the cunt. 

It also helps Beyonce get the fuck out there quickly, especially after being assaulted by swirling packets of monster much and used Tampax 

1 minute ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Aye, your spot on with the logistics, that's probably why that Mackem flea pit gets chosen with so much space around the cunt. 

It also helps Beyonce get the fuck out there quickly, especially after being assaulted by swirling packets of monster much and used Tampax 

It's difficult to name many venues in city centre locations which hold really large capacity shows which aren't permanently set up for them. They're all a little way out of the centre, where it's easier to do things. There is only one 'large' entryway on to the SJP pitch and it's situated underneath a structure with a height restriction.

I saw large trucks outside on friday night, are you saying somewhere like London is easier to negotiate for large vehicles? 

I just think it's a daft argument TBF. Modern logistics can get around any infrastructure issues and your insinuation that St James Park is crap for putting on big events because you need to push a box is just daft.

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

I saw large trucks outside on friday night, are you saying somewhere like London is easier to negotiate for large vehicles? 

I just think it's a daft argument TBF. Modern logistics can get around any infrastructure issues and your insinuation that St James Park is crap for putting on big events because you need to push a box is just daft.

alan-partridge-hate-public.gif

St James’ Park - a city centre stadium surrounded by Victorian/Georgian/medieval street structures and very little parking - being above-averagely difficult to host large concerts at doesn’t really seem like an argument worth getting upset about like [emoji38] 

Edited by Joseph

25 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Tbf it's a piece of piss to get to in a articulated lorry. Off the A1, over the Redheugh Bridge, along St James' Boulevard, left onto Barrack Road, then turn right into St James' Park where there's a large holding area which the Sky/BT lorries use and to make things even easier the huge access gate to get all their gear in is even in that corner (North West) of the stadium.

Was just going to say. St James' is actually very easy to get to in an artic for a city centre location. I drive past it every other week and I have delivered there in the past albeit in a smaller rigid vehicle. If Springsteen has any problems. Just giz a bell...

Eventhough it's classed as the city centre SJP isn't centre of the city centre is it. More on the outskirts. Could even go down the central motorway then down barrack road

Surely the 02 academy is more difficult for bigger trucks to navigate and get parked? Obviously it's a much smaller venue like

12 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Tbf it's a piece of piss to get to in an articulated lorry. Off the A1, over the Redheugh Bridge, along St James' Boulevard, left onto Barrack Road, then turn right into St James' Park where there's a large holding area which the Sky/BT lorries use and to make things even easier the huge access gate to get all their gear in is even in that corner (North West) of the stadium.

For what it’s worth, the approach to Redheugh bridge has a height limit, you have to come down the slip road, then back on again. You also can’t use the bridge on windy days.

In saying this, it’s just as easy to go up to either Scotswood Road, or Stamfordham Road and in.

36 minutes ago, Joseph said:

St James’ Park - a city centre stadium surrounded by Victorian/Georgian/medieval street structures and very little parking - being above-averagely difficult to host large concerts at doesn’t really seem like an argument worth getting upset about like [emoji38] 

Aye but London, modern logistics.

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

This is going to be controversial, but the thing is, Sunderland isn’t really, and should never have been classed as a city or large town that has it’s own council etc.

Sunderland in reality is the same to Durham as what South Shields is to Newcastle. A large town down stream from the river that makes up the conurbation area.

I don’t know where it went wrong and where it got separated, but Durham was the major and authoritative area of Wearside. It should have been Durham who had the professional football team, and Durham should have always maintained the authority of the area and the catchment area should have stayed as being centred around Durham.

Now you have a town sized area trying to make up its own population centre and being its own city etc. It’s a bit like if South Shields started taking the likes of Jarrow and Hebburn, and calling them South Shields suburbs.

This is why Sunderland struggles to keep a large attachments area. Places like Washington are equally as close to Tyneside as they are to Sunderland, Boldon etc are Tyneside but house Sunderland’s dog racing track, golfing range, and their BMW car shop.

You have places Spennymoor which they try to claim as their own, which is closer to Durham & Darlington. Rainton, which is Sunderland council controlled is pretty much a part of Chester-Le-Street, which is Durham, and that alongside places like Hetton and Houghton actually all have Durham postcodes.

Durham should have been the kept as the major city of Wearside, and if it was then maybe in every way possible, it would have been a big rival to Newcastle for being the dominant city and de facto capitol of the North East.

Durham is ancient and beautiful and was hopelessly situated to be an industrial centre following the industrial revolution.   Which is why it is still ancient and beautiful with the population to match.  

Sunderland, being where it was, was well placed as a coal port and of course as a place where ships could be built.

It still has a town rather than a city feel (as does Newcastle in many ways).  The big difference for me is that Newcastle clearly has heritage which pre-dates the industrial revolution.  And also isn’t a shithole populated by bitter, orc-like bastards :) 

Would I not make sense for the likes of Springsteen to come in via the Tyne on something like the bonga we saw come up the Tyne all them years ago? That way he could unload all his shit on the quayside? Do it at 3am as well 

32 minutes ago, Stifler said:

For what it’s worth, the approach to Redheugh bridge has a height limit, you have to come down the slip road, then back on again. You also can’t use the bridge on windy days.

In saying this, it’s just as easy to go up to either Scotswood Road, or Stamfordham Road and in.

Aye that's true but as you say plenty other options as well. Sky/Setanta/BT have been hauling trucks into SJP regularly for over 30 years now without incident.