St James' Park

Delima

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

Having listened to Eales on the radio on Thursday, and watched the first episode of the Amazon documentary, I'm fairly sure that they have no plans to relocate away from the current area of the city centre. Eales was waxing lyrical about the cathedral on the hill, and I think they do truly place a lot of significance on that prime location, so I think they will try everything they can to get 65k out of the current footprint. If that's not possible then they may have a Leazes Park contingency plan. I just don't see the Arena site happening, and I'm less sure that I'd want it anymore tbh.

Could dump 500ft of rubble on the site then build the stadium on top.

Might need some large escalators though...

It be good if they could lower the roof on the new stadium so if it was lower attended game  it would still keep the atmosphere decent. So in effect changing the capacity to suite.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Not sure 65k is enough, you could fill that just with new ST holders. 

We currently have around 30k season ticket holders. You really think we'd easily sell another 35k after the inevitable price hike next year?

No chance IMO. 65k would be absolutely fine going forward. Another 13k STs sold through the increase and the rest going to general/members sale. Any more than that and it will be to the detriment of the atmosphere and leave the ground looking silly for things like League Cup ties.

It's very difficult to judge crowd sizes in the future, 20/30yrs from now we will be under new owners who maybe another Ashley or the present young ones such as the just stop oil pillocks and the equivalent who will be in power then may well reduce stadium attendances or prevent people from moving from one area to another.

3 minutes ago, TBG said:

Will they still do Carling, like

Tell you what mind, Hope they've employed someone who can pull the pint for a starter[emoji38]

I know they're youngins and students, but fuck me it was like pulling teeth trying to get served.

Does the 52 whatever thousand include those in corporate, or does it just include seats in the ground? I'm sure there'll be health and safety limiting the amount, and it's not the solution to expanding the ground, but could/does new/upgraded boxes increase the ground capacity?

Rooftops seems like a pretty cool "private" event venue within the stadium for after hours or on random days where they don't have matches for people to have parties, business related events etc. Seems a bit too high-end for you everyday match-goer. 

9 minutes ago, midds said:

Honestly don't think I'd like to watch the match in that environment 

Aren’t the actual seats just outside though? 

Where @NE27 used to sit?

So, you’re paying the premium for the before and after, rather than what you get for when the match is actually on?

Just now, Kanji said:

Rooftops seems like a pretty cool "private" event venue within the stadium for after hours or on random days where they don't have matches for people to have parties, business related events etc. Seems a bit too high-end for you everyday match-goer. 

That's what I'm getting at. I was lucky enough to get into a box for a fixture and really enjoyed it but I'm not sure I'd like to be there for a full season. Quite like being in the cheap seats, I don't think I move in those circles tbh. I certainly wouldn't fit in

2 hours ago, NE27 said:

Tell you what mind, Hope they've employed someone who can pull the pint for a starter[emoji38]

I know they're youngins and students, but fuck me it was like pulling teeth trying to get served.

Had a pint at pre season in the east and the young lad who pulled it must have worked in an ice cream shop through the week.