St James' Park

Delima

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Leazes Park has just lost its green flag status due to it’s disgusting state beyond repair according to ‘friends of Leazes Park’ in the ronnie gill.

Time to strike with a grandiose plan to exchange land and free up Leazes Terrace with millions of investment.

This is from NE1;

Leazes Park was not entered for Green Flag Award judging this year as Urban Green Newcastle is continuing discussions to build strong local relationships through the development of the park management plans.

I have absolutely no idea what that means, sounds a bit like "Well we didn't want Green Flag status anyway..."

1 minute ago, Keegans Export said:

This is from NE1;

I have absolutely no idea what that means, sounds a bit like "Well we didn't want Green Flag status anyway..."

Urban Green were awarded running of city parks but seem to be failing miserably.

12 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Leazes Park has just lost its green flag status due to it’s disgusting state beyond repair according to ‘friends of Leazes Park’ in the ronnie gill.

Time to strike with a grandiose plan to exchange land and free up Leazes Terrace with millions of investment.

It’s still a listed park. The only way we could land swap is if we swap SJP with Castle Leazes, and this is the only way we’d be able to create a significantly bigger stadium. The only other way we could do it is if Barrack Road Southbound was reduced to 1 lane, and we moved the footprint of SJP to the west a little, and South above the SJP Metro station.

11 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Urban Green were awarded running of city parks but seem to be failing miserably.

Iirc a decision Dim McGuinness had a hand in. 

I know one of Urban Green's staff and I think they're (UG) potless. 

Outsourcing then diminishing budgets tends to have a detrimental effect on services 

Just now, nufcnick said:

I think we will move to be honest, there isn’t much that can be done with SJP and what can be done will mean reduced capacity at some point, I can see us building a 65/70k seater stadium right behind SJP 

Moving is the right answer and can hopefully create a new generation of match going fans and innovate around the atmosphere, rather than persist with the Japanese Knotweed of grumbly gits across swathes of the ground in “their seats”.

15 minutes ago, madras said:

Conspiracy time. So, this is coming  out just after the major cheer leaders for staying at SJP have left ?

Yup. We always had to leave, now the folks that bought into the nostalgia have gone the hard nosed decision will be made.

Edited by OverThere

In 99.9% of all scenarios where the fairly obvious answer has been to "move forward" and ignore the complaints of those refusing to let go of the past to allow for forward progress, I would have been on the side of those in favor of leaving the past behind. But I fucking hate the typical design of a new football stadium, as well as us having one of the most unique stadiums in the world both with regards to design and location. This is the 0.1% scenario where I struggle to not be on the side of the people stuck in the past, choosing to hold on to "history" instead of welcoming future progress.

If the Saudis succeed with their ambitions to grow us into a successful club with a global fanbase, we will need a bigger stadium. Even without success we've been filling one of the biggest stadiums in England - week in, week out. 

But St. James' Park is so fucking special, man :( Given our owners, there is no doubt that we'll end up with a state-of the art stadium, but it'll "just" be another modern football stadium with no history or soul. But you got to make sacrifices to get where you want to go, and sadly saying goodbye to St. James' will most likely be one of those 😢

It just makes sense.. they can build one of the best stadiums in the world on new land for about the same cost as a limited upgrade at SJP would. A new stadium can be built with zero impact on ongoing fixtures, that has to be factored in too. Sharing a stadium would mean a loss of that revenue which would have the knock on effect to PSR.

It’s also about legacy. They’ll want to leave something great that reflects on the Kingdom.

Also the Reuben’s didn’t get involved just to turn up to a few games.. land development is their thing so if SJP were to be eventually knocked down.. they would have first option as bringing something totally new to that area.

SJP is special in so many ways. But to really become elite elite we need to get our revenue up. A new stadium goes a long way of doing this from what I’ve read. A new stadium doesn’t mean it’s gotta be soulless. It will become “home” within time too. Especially if it’s built in the right way, and location. 

Edited by Ikon

3 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I can see a the logic but also my heart will break not walking up that hill when going to a match. Don't care about the stadium itself, more the location.

Yep.  There’s nowt special about the ground - in fact, it is outmoded and lopsided.  It is the location that is special. 

4 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I can see a the logic but also my heart will break not walking up that hill when going to a match. Don't care about the stadium itself, more the location.

You will still be able to walk up the hill, it’s built on Leazes Park. Which is where I think it will be built 

5 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

You will still be able to walk up the hill, it’s built on Leazes Park. Which is where I think it will be built 

That would probably be least worst. I will still miss seeing it when I drive back into Newcastle. I get people wanting to strip out the emotion and focus on what's best for future success, but what is football if not emotive? It's certainly not rational.

2 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

That would probably be least worst. I will still miss seeing it when I drive back into Newcastle. I get people wanting to strip out the emotion and focus on what's best for future success, but what is football if not emotive? It's certainly not rational.

Can hardly see it now anyway due to the other buildings in the way. 

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I honestly believe that this is what tells us PIF’s intentions.  If a state of the art brand new ground is on the agenda, they’re serious about NUFC joining the elite ranks.  If it’s an extension to SJP, then they’re not.  Just my take, I’m sure plenty will disagree. 

I think that's fair. If it's 5-8k extra seats on the Gallowgate and tarting up the Hospitality areas then fair enough, getting more fans into the ground is great, but that isn't going to have a huge impact on our income. 

I don't think the timing of AS & MG leaving is linked at all. I'm sure they would have been in favour of staying but if the majority owners and executives think otherwise they would have been overruled anyway.