St James' Park

Delima

Just now, Minhosa said:

Does anyone think that's been leaked to gauge reactions?

I wonder if it's been leaked to generate support for a new stadium as fans are already having the argument about '£xxxm Vs £xbn - let's just do it once and do it properly' sort of thing.

Think that's a fair assumption. There's a direct quote from a 'spokesperson' so clearly the piece has gone out with the club's blessing.

Alternatively could just be a bit of a can-kicker to fend off frustrations for a bit longer, rather than a water-tester. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

Think that's a fair assumption. There's a direct quote from a 'spokesperson' so clearly the piece has gone out with the club's blessing.

Alternatively could just be a bit of a can-kicker to fend off frustrations for a bit longer, rather than a water-tester. 

It's the fairly specific valuations that lead me to think the purpose of the article may have been to create a movement towards backing the new build option given relative value for money arguments.

Newcastle city Council need to be throwing everything they have at keeping the ground near or where it is. The income drop for businesses all through the city will be felt massively. Just got to see how much money was brought in by the rugby for one offs. Without the arena as well, there's a lot of income removed from the streets.

No doubt they couldn't give a fuck as one of them lives in eyesight of some grass and doesn't want to spoil their view. 

It does feel like there's a steady drip-feeding of information starting to come out now. Firstly it was the COO saying they "only want to write the cheque once", then the recent reports about the FAB meeting, now this article.

It all feels quite deliberate, although that could just be me reading too much into it. Suggesting it could cost £1bn to redevelop SJP, Everton's new stadium is going cost less than that I think?

Newcastle United St James' Park decision expected imminently with 'all options open'

PIF are fully behind a plan to increase capacity one way or another as fans wait nervously for the results of the feasibility report

Newcastle United are expected to share the results of the club's feasibility survey in due course after a near year-long examination of what happens next with St James' Park.

As reported on Chronicle Live last week, United chiefs will share the results first with the Fan Advisory Board before relaying the information to the wider fanbase. A club spokesman today insisted that all options are open for the Magpies and that no final decision had or would yet be made on whether a move was on the cards or simply redevelopment. 

The Daily Telegraph have reported today that a cost of £1billion would be coming Newcastle's way if they decide to stay at St James' and redevelop the existing set up. The publication quoted a spokesman who said: "It would be wrong to say a decision has been made. All options remain on the table."

One source has also told Chronicle Live that the preference from some inside the club is to remain at St James' Park and that redeveloping the East Stand and the Gallowgate End is deemed feasible but nothing has been confirmed yet.

The last public interview came from COO Brad Miller in August when he said: "With regard to the stadium, so coming back to the original question, genuinely, I'd love to be able to share more today. It wouldn't be appropriate. We're still just working through the last couple of questions we've got.

"Darren's gone on record previously to say look it's imminent, but it really truly is in terms of next steps, what direction we're going to be taking, etc. It'd be remiss of me to go early and cut across that.

"What I will say is the product you see today, the STACK, this is just an indication of the ambition and the commitment and the dedication that the ownership and everybody within the club has got, not just to Newcastle United, but to the region as well. We hope it's representative and a little bit of a hint to what we're hoping to achieve into the future.

"The stadium investment is genuinely a once-in-a-generation opportunity and we want to make sure that we get that right. And I think we're doing that against the backdrop of, in the UK, we haven't got a great track record of delivering really big projects and delivering on time and successfully and making sure they work right from the absolute outset.

"So there's a lot for us to think about and that's why we are, maybe frustratingly for people, taking our time to make sure that our next steps are going to be the right ones. Because whilst we've got the ability to invest and the commitment and the ambition to invest from the ownership, we only want to write that cheque once, so we want to make sure we get it absolutely right for everybody that's involved with the club."

Since then it has been announced the CEO Darren Eales will be stepping down for health reasons. Newcastle chiefs today insisted that "messaging" to supporters is still very much in the pipeline.

I know it's the Chronicle but looks like somebody in the club is starting to brief

Just now, Jack27 said:

One source has also told Chronicle Live that the preference from some inside the club is to remain at St James' Park and that redeveloping the East Stand and the Gallowgate End is deemed feasible but nothing has been confirmed yet.

this part though, not what we need to move into the elite

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'd love the opportunity to buy a season ticket again. I doubt I'd get one, but I know for a fact I won't get one at St James in the forseeable future.

That's fair enough and there's an argument that a bigger capacity trumps all. 

The capacity question isn't going anywhere either. I don't even think 60k is really enough.

We might be somewhat riding the crest of a wave now but the demand isnt going anywhere. Demographics have changed, going to the football is very much a family day out these days. More women go than ever, in particular men go with their partners - this was less the case even 15 years ago. The prestige of going to watch Newcastle and football in general plays a bigger role. All of these things, coupled with the fact we're an ambitious club means the demand for tickets is going to be way higher than even 60k for the foreseeable imo.

51 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I mean, part of me is obviously scared but I feel like they understand the importance of the club to the city and vice versa. I also think Newcastle is an affordable enough city to be able to acquire the land we need. 

City centre wise it’s a very compact centre compared to other larger cities in the UK, I can only see Castle Leazes/Leazes Park or the Arena site as the only viable alternatives to remain in Newcastle🤷🏼‍♂️

If a new build is twice the price, and so at least £800m more on those costings it is going to have to deliver a lot more revenue than the rebuild to make it worthwhile financially.

If they take a 30 year payback period a new build needs to bring in an extra £25m a year vs a rebuild. If a new build has an extra 10,000 seats, each seat has to delivery an extra £2,500 per year in profit. Don’t expect any cheap seats!

2 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

City centre wise it’s a very compact centre compared to other larger cities in the UK, I can only see Castle Leazes/Leazes Park or the Arena site as the only viable alternatives to remain in Newcastle🤷🏼‍♂️

That's two big possibilities though. Personally I think arena will be the one that gets the nod. 

10 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Hunters Moor is a potential alternative option, walkable from he city centre, the same planning designation as Castle Leazes (which allows for sports development) with more space and without the issue of the listed Leazes Park.

Edited by Jackie Broon

9 minutes ago, Nepharite said:

We need an 80K seat stadium with upgraded Corporate facilities, minimum. Anything other than a new stadium isn't going to deliver that.

That's the only way we can compete with the cartel clubs for stadium revenue as well. I don't see how it's possible with a revamp of St James.

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

That's two big possibilities though. Personally I think arena will be the one that gets the nod. 

Arena would be awesome. I haven’t been to Newcastle in twenty years but won’t you see this big beautiful new stadium on the train as you pull in to town? Could be quite the sight. 

1 minute ago, cubaricho said:

Arena would be awesome. I haven’t been to Newcastle in twenty years but won’t you see this big beautiful new stadium on the train as you pull in to town? Could be quite the sight. 

Plus the aerial shots of the stadium and the river/bridge before kick off.. it would make its own place in heritage of the city assuming the design isn’t a complete pig

5 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Several years ago I would have been chuffed with 60k. But FFP and PSR means we need to maximise the fuck out of every revenue stream. An 80k, 1.5bn super stadium on Leazes would be the dream.

Would be horrendous IMO

24 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

If a new build is twice the price, and so at least £800m more on those costings it is going to have to deliver a lot more revenue than the rebuild to make it worthwhile financially.

If they take a 30 year payback period a new build needs to bring in an extra £25m a year vs a rebuild. If a new build has an extra 10,000 seats, each seat has to delivery an extra £2,500 per year in profit. Don’t expect any cheap seats!

Everton's new stadium hasn't cost anywhere near £1.6bn and that involved having to build on a dock. Anyway, assuming it would be an extra £800m then you'd assume at least part of the £25m/year is coming from Stadium sponsorship and the remaining cost per seat would include a considerably larger share of income from corporate. Plus, at least part of the benefit in a shiny new super-stadium to the owners is that it increases the value of the football club in general.

Edited by Keegans Export

6 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Several years ago I would have been chuffed with 60k. But FFP and PSR means we need to maximise the fuck out of every revenue stream. An 80k, 1.5bn super stadium on Leazes would be the dream.

Yep. Exactly my thoughts. Let’s build whilst being able to maintaining 52k during the construction elsewhere .

What was the rebuild cost of Camp Nou, and the refurb cost of Bernabeu? Also how much have Liverpool spent on Anfield?

New stadium wise, what was the cost of Everton's and Spuds (though London prices) etc