St James' Park

Delima

I’d like to hold my judgement until I see a proposal for the arena site.

I think that a new 21st century MercedesBenz Arena on the banks of the Tyne could be mind blowing with the views across the Tyne and the bridges as backdrop. 

Edited by Exiled in Texas

51 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Sounds daft, but it’s the continuation of history. 

The East Stand is connected to the old Edwardian West Stand, as they were both in situ at the same time. And with the East Stand it has been developed to what we now know today. If the East Stand was knocked down, that connection would continue on to the new Leazes and Milburn. Sounds stupid, but there’s something in that continuation for me. It makes it real.

Moving just wouldn’t do it for me. Even if it guaranteed my ST back

I guess to me it feels like enough of that connection is still there by it being on the original ground but that's an interesting way of seeing it that I hadn't thought about.

It's pretty mad really how many different viewpoints can be taken over this one topic, in a positive way.

They should push plans as much as thru can then either be knocked back or the council allow for a major expansion. If knocked back the club can say to the fans it doesn't have a choice but to move, then build an ott 90k stadium for a £bn (which won't count as part of ffp) and sell the naming rights for £100m a year. It's one massive way to navigate around ffp, and the fans won't be precious about the renaming of SJP.

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

They should push plans as much as thru can then either be knocked back or the council allow for a major expansion. If knocked back the club can say to the fans it doesn't have a choice but to move, then build an ott 90k stadium for a £bn (which won't count as part of ffp) and sell the naming rights for £100m a year. It's one massive way to navigate around ffp, and the fans won't be precious about the renaming of SJP.

Stadium and infrastructure now counts towards FFP under UEFA rules, and the Premier League are set to follow.

6 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I don't want to move like. No way. 

It's the location, rather than the stadium itself for me.

5 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Sounds daft, but it’s the continuation of history. 

The East Stand is connected to the old Edwardian West Stand, as they were both in situ at the same time. And with the East Stand it has been developed to what we now know today. If the East Stand was knocked down, that connection would continue on to the new Leazes and Milburn. Sounds stupid, but there’s something in that continuation for me. It makes it real.

Moving just wouldn’t do it for me. Even if it guaranteed my ST back

Aye, has to stay there, for me. We might get a bigger stadium elsewhere but if I walk to that spot one day and it's not there I'll be devastated. Just feels so perfect. 

15 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Aye, has to stay there, for me. We might get a bigger stadium elsewhere but if I walk to that spot one day and it's not there I'll be devastated. Just feels so perfect. 

It can stay there. Training and development centre for sports excellence.

33 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Stadium and infrastructure now counts towards FFP under UEFA rules, and the Premier League are set to follow.

Find it hard for that to be the case as you’d be mixing capital and revenue expenditure. 

My personal options and choice from Day 1 after the takeover should we need to relocate.

1. The club/owners help upgrade Gateshead International Stadium up to a temporary Premier League/Champions League standards (since our kids played PSG there the other day too). We play there while SJP gets demolished and rebuilt on current site. When we move back in, bring down the capacity at Gateshead International but leave all the other stuff for them for their own future use (facilities wise).

2. Move up the road to Leazes Park and turn current stadium site into a modern green park. Castle Leazes would also be an option if not Leazes Park.

3. Move to the arena site if at all possible and build something quite spectacular there.

I would not consider any other options

Edited by nufcjb

3 hours ago, Stifler said:

I've read that, probably on here, but it surely cant be as it reads - nobody will ever be able to build a new stadium from this point forth and you'd be nuts with a stretched budged to expand too.

Its so ridiculously restrictive - you cant expand even though you can afford it, it makes perfect business sense, is good for the economy and the demand is there just because - that in football, with the utter fear of threats to the establishment, I can well imagine it.

Edited by Wolfcastle

I think it makes sense to stay at St James if they can do it. Im a bit of a romantic so will always veer towards maintaining the history and unique aspect of the cathedral on the hill. 

I think adding 13k of seats would allow a decent number of additional season tickets plus more match by match tickets. The atmosphere would be outrageous too. 

19 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think it makes sense to stay at St James if they can do it. Im a bit of a romantic so will always veer towards maintaining the history and unique aspect of the cathedral on the hill. 

I think adding 13k of seats would allow a decent number of additional season tickets plus more match by match tickets. The atmosphere would be outrageous too. 

Unfortunately the cost and actual process would also be outrageous. That's been be the biggest issue for a long time

Just now, Superior Acuña said:

It's behind a payall for me. Is it saying the East Stand expansion is somehow feasible? 

It's an article with no new information. Just says they'd like to bring the East Stand and Gallowgate up to the level of the Leazes/Milburn. 

As much as I hate to say it, I think we will leave SJP.

My preference would be to build new stadium in leazes Park, and then replace the lost parkland by making the old SJP site a park.

There are probably barriers regarding building on parkland, etc - but if it could be done then the ground would be within 200 yards of the old ground, so a lot of the matchday feel would be the same.

If above is not possible then the arena site would be good.

10 hours ago, Stifler said:

That was originally the idea but I think they scrapped it in the end didn't they? Now it's just wages, transfer fees and agent payments as a percentage of revenue.

10 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Sorry where does it say that?

Nowhere. It’s my own expertise talking. :)

Seriously though, I think they could do it with St James’ Terrace removed. There would need to be a lot of glass and clever light redirection technology, and you’d probably need to remove the grass from the front of Leazes Terrace, but it’s doable IMO. And the club must think so too if they are looking at expanding that area of the ground.

4 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

St James Terrace is Grade II listed anyway. It's not biting the dust 

Already been discussed in this thread but that isn’t the case. A grade 2 listed building could be removed, depending on the conditions. The guy who owns St James Terrace said so himself (and also hinted that he was open to selling it for that to happen).