St James' Park

Delima

For those who don't think it's a big deal...why do you support Newcastle United and not some other team? Genuine question.

Because if tradition and soul aren't important to you then what is it that makes you support NUFC? Or any club for that matter? You could support any team if it's not important. Tradition and soul are what it's all about. We're born into supporting a team or chose to support a team because of everything the club is/has stood for and has been (those who choose and stick to it no matter what).

Yes we can admire the current players, even admire the owners if that's your bag. But they aren't Newcastle United or what personifies Newcastle United. They are the current employees who are trying to propel the 'Club' forward as everyone before and everyone after will. They'll all be gone in a few years or so. It's not what supporting any specific club is about. That's admiration of someone...it's different.

It's the collective fight and allegiance for the whole history and future. It's to be a part of something bigger than just the now.

I'm not disrespecting anyone who thinks selling off the name of the ground is fine. I'm just struggling to work out why some people pick a certain club to support if tradition and history aren't important.

:thup: :clap:

Guest Roger Kint

It's now increased to over 130 years of history ?

No why?

According to Catherine McKinnell it appears to have :lol:

Maybe she knew that it existed before NUFC was formed?

Guest Roger Kint

Maybe she knew that it existed before NUFC was formed?

I'd vote for an MP with those kind of superpowers.

Well as it has been used for football since 1880 and its easily googled i think she may just know what she is talking about. Imagine being schooled at football by a woman ;D

I get so pissed off with all this self-righteous hysteria.

The part of our heritage that I really want to ditch is the last 40+ years of failure. If this helps, then I'm fine about it. It would be nice to keep the name, but it's a sacrifice that I'd be prepared to make.

In what world do you live where a stadium name change correlates to the success of a football club?

You already know the answer to that, don't you? If the club increases its income and it spends the money wisely, you increase the chances of success on the field.

I worry about how naive you'd have to be to think this will increase our income by a single penny.

earth shudderingly stupid

Guest Haris Vuckic

I get so p*ssed off with all this self-righteous hysteria.

The part of our heritage that I really want to ditch is the last 40+ years of failure. If this helps, then I'm fine about it. It would be nice to keep the name, but it's a sacrifice that I'd be prepared to make.

In what world do you live where a stadium name change correlates to the success of a football club?

You already know the answer to that, don't you? If the club increases its income and it spends the money wisely, you increase the chances of success on the field.

I worry about how naive you'd have to be to think this will increase our income by a single penny.

earth shudderingly stupid

WEAPONS grade stupidity

Telefónica SA swung to its first loss in almost a decade in the third quarter as the cost of mass layoffs and severe economic woes in Spain dealt a heavy financial blow.

Madrid-based Telefónica—Europe's second-largest telecommunications company by market value after U.K.-based Vodafone Group PLC—-posted a €429 million net loss for the quarter compared with a €5.1 billion net profit in the same period last year, as personnel costs more than doubled due to a €2.7 billion charge to cover layoffs. As many as 6,500, or close to 20% of staff in its Spanish business, will be made redundant by 2013.

Telefonica own O2.  I'd be surprised if they were in the mood to start a big sponsorship deal considering today's news.

Guest WashyGeordie

That fact is no company will be looking to sponsor any football team to the sum of 10 Million  per season in the current climate

That'll be their plan. No one will come in, they'll say "hey we tried!" and SD will take over the role for the name of the Stadium (just like it is) and probably the shirt sponsor, which will make us worse off with no Northern Rock money.

This still hurts.

Was walking passed the ground today and i got quite angry.

It'll hit everyone at the Chelsea game imo

they took the SJP down yet like?

No.

Just seenig all the SD signs everywhere and thinking to myself St Jmaes' Park doesn't exist anymore hit me canny hard though :(

That fact is no company will be looking to sponsor any football team to the sum of 10 Million  per season in the current climate

That'll be their plan. No one will come in, they'll say "hey we tried!" and SD will take over the role for the name of the Stadium (just like it is) and probably the shirt sponsor, which will make us worse off with no Northern Rock money.

Yep.

So the whole we'll get 8 million a year, it's not all bad argument goes straight out the window.

They do this trick every transfer window man. Remember the N'Zogbia 'bid'?

For those who don't think it's a big deal...why do you support Newcastle United and not some other team? Genuine question.

Because if tradition and soul aren't important to you then what is it that makes you support NUFC? Or any club for that matter? You could support any team if it's not important. Tradition and soul are what it's all about. We're born into supporting a team or chose to support a team because of everything the club is/has stood for and has been (those who choose and stick to it no matter what).

Yes we can admire the current players, even admire the owners if that's your bag. But they aren't Newcastle United or what personifies Newcastle United. They are the current employees who are trying to propel the 'Club' forward as everyone before and everyone after will. They'll all be gone in a few years or so. It's not what supporting any specific club is about. That's admiration of someone...it's different.

It's the collective fight and allegiance for the whole history and future. It's to be a part of something bigger than just the now.

I'm not disrespecting anyone who thinks selling off the name of the ground is fine. I'm just struggling to work out why some people pick a certain club to support if tradition and history aren't important.

:clap:

I think this is a totally daft fucking post, to be honest.

The name of the stadium has fuck all to do with why I support Newcastle. And when I first went to a game, at the age of 11, many years before most of the people on this forum were even born, before a single brick of the current St James' Park was in place, more than 20 years before the club acquired the crest it currently uses, tradition was the last thing on my young mind.