St James' Park

Delima

This club was well ran from the day Sir John Hall walked into the club 92 to the day we appointed Souness, 2005, that's when this club started to be ran badly. Not as badly as it was ran in Ashley's first 3 years or so though that brought about relegation.

tend to agree

This club was well ran from the day Sir John Hall walked into the club 92 to the day we appointed Souness, 2005, that's when this club started to be ran badly. Not as badly as it was ran in Ashley's first 3 years or so though that brought about relegation.

close, i see it as being well ran till till souness then a constant downward spiral till relegation. you can take away the names of who was in charge and it was almost seemless.

tend to agree

I date it to the introduction of transfer windows and Dougie Hall running his family's wider business into the ground. The Summer of Bowyer and Belgrade followed soon after. Suddenly the thick fuckers thought they could get away with not buying anyone by just lying (to Robson as well as us) and saying 'we're going to buy loads' up until and during an open window, knowing they'd be 'forced not to' at other times. The (absolutely major) issue of 'should we back or sack Bobby? I dunno, let's do neither' was also related.

And say what you like madras, but Freddie would not have presided over our slide following Keegan's appointment. He was/is a lot of things, but he would have made different and better decisions at the dozens of different times which could/would have prevented us going down (given the margin of it was so tiny even despite our complete shambles).

Incidentally, and this is largely just a faith-based view, I really believe Shepherd was going to try and run the club in a way hugely different to what had gone before, and I'm a bit sorry for him that he never got the chance to show whether that was true. I'm not saying he wouldn't have found a new way to fuck it up, but in the same way he'd always do the opposite of whatever hadn't worked before (dour frigid racist, languid cosmopolitan black man, native grandad, cocky bully), it seemed like he'd had a big change of perspective and was going to try and do things the right way (this being the opposite of the previous method - the wrong way). Less panicked and costly chops and changes, more 'legacy investments', value purchases and scientific project managers (headed up by Allardyce, please don't laugh).

Guest Howaythetoon

close, i see it as being well ran till till souness then a constant downward spiral till relegation. you can take away the names of who was in charge and it was almost seemless.

I think FS finally realised we had to reign in the spending if you like and that's why he appointed Big Sam, someone renowed for doing well enough on a small budget. Before that, FS was backing Roeder's plans for the acamdey and scouting too, and limited his spending. He basically knew we couldn't keep spnding daft money and that future stars would have to come from the academy as much as from cash.

I stronly believe that if Ashley hadn't of bought the club we wouldn't have been relegated and nor would we have went bust. We'd probably be in debt still with a high obverdfrat but NUFC has never owed so much to so few than we do now, namely Mike Ashley. Under FS and co our debt was managable. We owed the banks basically and maybe one or two football clubs. Now we owe one man over 200m quid. That's a worry, especially as we know how much of a cunt Ashley can be. FS was stupid, foolish and at times a dick, but he was a fan and would never have allowed the club to get to the point of relegation or even going bust.

What we have done since then is suffer relegation, the bastardization of our stadium and the denigration of arguably our two biggest modern day legends in KK and Shearer. We also sacked a good manager who had done good things for very very dubious reasons. The fact we are 6th at the moment and the books are looking OK will never be worth those very things in a trade off though.

Financially, we still owe one man over 200m, or rather than man, will look to recoup that money back one way or enother.

I think what Mike Ashley has done well and deserves some form of credit for is the way we now do busines, the way we now look at and buy players. We do not pay over the odds, we get great value for money and are no easy pushovers. To a large extent this is as much down to the people who do the scouting and negotiating rather than Mike himself though. His previous systems failed massively, i.e. KK and Wise.

Everything else though... he deserves nothing but hate for what he has done to our club, especially teh bastardisation of St. James' Park.

Guest Howaythetoon

I also think FS was handicapped by the Halls, the fact he reinvested his admittedly pretty large dividends into buying more shares could be viewed as him wanting to one day own or run the club fully. Sir Bobby believed it was the Halls in large who got him the sack and not FS who did claim he was only doing the work of the majority shareholders if you like. By the way, I fucking detested FS and believed him to be corrupt in many ways, I was and am not no fan and never will be, but compared to Ashley he is a saint and presided over a much healthier club in general, especially on the pitch which is where it matters most and always will do.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I once watched a film called Shaolin Soccer (?) it was mad a fuck.

Get on that if you're a bit out of it.

That film is quality.  :lol:

And say what you like madras, but Freddie would not have presided over our slide following Keegan's appointment. He was/is a lot of things, but he would have made different and better decisions at the dozens of different times which could/would have prevented us going down (given the margin of it was so tiny even despite our complete shambles).

Incidentally, and this is largely just a faith-based view, I really believe Shepherd was going to try and run the club in a way hugely different to what had gone before, and I'm a bit sorry for him that he never got the chance to show whether that was true. I'm not saying he wouldn't have found a new way to f*** it up, but in the same way he'd always do the opposite of whatever hadn't worked before (dour frigid racist, languid cosmopolitan black man, native grandad, cocky bully), it seemed like he'd had a big change of perspective and was going to try and do things the right way (this being the opposite of the previous method - the wrong way). Less panicked and costly chops and changes, more 'legacy investments', value purchases and scientific project managers (headed up by Allardyce, please don't laugh).

I'm convinced we'd have gone down under Shepherd, we didn't have a pot to piss in.

I once watched a film called Shaolin Soccer (?) it was mad a f***.

Get on that if you're a bit out of it.

That film is quality.  :lol:

One of those that are so shitty it's amazing.

Was Hong Kong comedy/Stephen Chow at its/his best. It was amazing film because it was amazing.

I think it's canny funny how people keep spraying St James' Park back on it. It's also canny pointless like, getting a criminal record for something tha has little effect. If everyone is so against it we should unite in a public act.

Something like this?

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7974/dirtyprotest.gif

Aye, exactly that. 51,999 fit women and me only though, thanks. :)

Aye, righto. Better that than picturing Teethgirl as the sandwich in the letter 'S' I suppose.

/it's in your head right now though. :azn:

From several inches two a few in 2 simple sentences.

When Shepherd left us in a mess we got much the same as the current political situation, a group concerned with a achieving yield whilst drastically cutting spending. One polar extreme to the other. You could argue its had a lot of benefit. You could argue it has made things worse with relgation in the short-term following the takeover and the lying cloak and dagger business approach. This decision is a step too far. Its not in the name of austerity and benefit to the club; rather the whim of an insensitive, calculating individual who at the end of the day owes us nothing.

When Shepherd left us in a mess we got much the same as the current political situation, a group concerned with a achieving yield whilst drastically cutting spending. One polar extreme to the other. You could argue its had a lot of benefit. You could argue it has made things worse with relgation in the short-term following the takeover and the lying cloak and dagger business approach. This decision is a step too far. Its not in the name of austerity and benefit to the club; rather the whim of an insensitive, calculating individual who at the end of the day owes us nothing.

Personally I think the bit in bold is a bit of a trap people fall into. He himself took the independent decision to go and buy NUFC. No-one put a gun to his head to do it, it was his choice. And billionaire or not, its not like he decided to one day go to town and buy a nice coat. Having done that, and having made that choice, he then automatically owe's the club to act with integrity, having bought history, heritage and an institution, and run it as professionally as possible while protecting such things as heritage.

Like when people say 'he put his hand in his pokcet for you when you got relegated'- I would expect him to correct his mistakes and take responsibility. He had acted disgracefully that year, so I wouldnt expect him to be an even bigger t*** by not at least attempting to put things right.

Okay, maybe the last sentence was clumsy but I guess I meant that Ashley feels he owes us nothing; 'A kind of how dare you call me FCB - I bailed you lot out kind of mentality.' I've been pleased in many ways and how aspects of transfer policy are being conducted (CB would've been most helpful, but I guess that's not massively relevant). I just don't see any logic behind this decision however; other than to wind us up.

This is why Ashley want to build his team like Arsenal pretty interesting stuff... Net spending 19 million in 10 years. Get use to it lads.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2012/02/23/tottenham-face-arsenal-seeking-capital-kings-status-for-first-time-since-1995-230201/

Well tbh he has changed the club he's modelling it on at least twice, i thought the most recent was Aston Villa

My English teacher is sure that the committee he's on (United 4 Newcastle?) are planning to walk past St James' at 1:45PM tomorrow with a coffin with RIP St. James' Park written in wreath over the top. :lol: Supposed to be placing it opposite Shearer's. He seemed pretty convinced that this was definitely happening.

Guest andyburn

My English teacher is sure that the committee he's on (United 4 Newcastle?) are planning to walk past St James' at 1:45PM tomorrow with a coffin with RIP St. James' Park written in wreath over the top. :lol: Supposed to be placing it opposite Shearer's. He seemed pretty convinced that this was definitely happening.

Nowt about this on their facebook

Nowt about this on their facebook

what, that one of them is barak's english teacher ?

:lol: Are they even around anymore since Colocho withdrew his PR might from the cause?