Wigan 1 - 0 Newcastle - Post match thread

Wullie

Europe is'nt out of reach, it's unlikely but it's certainly not out of reach. It's madness to make such wild claims.

It looks like we'll be 11th after today, we've got very little chance of Europe.

Hopefully you're wrong but I think you're right. 10 games to go and we need to go on a serious run of form which we've never looked like doing this season.

Guest killers_perm

Absolute effing disgrace !!

Roeder decides that its better to play 4 centre halves and push nobby further up the pitch - for WHAT ??

the man is completely clueless when he has more than 12 fit players to choose from - he always tries to play all his favourites

Taylor - v. good centre half who has over the past 4 games managed to forge a half decent partnership with Bramble

Nobby - even GR himself was giving the guy rave reviews for his displays at Right Back

Butt - plays best when he is in charge of the midfield and can run the show, Add parker and they just compete to occupy the same space

Duff - wtf, but without a left footed full back to push hil up he drops back into midfield and gets lost

It was only once Milner & Zog came on that we had any sort of idea about going forwards

Fraid to say that having a fully fit squad isn't going to make any difference until GR learns how to play the best team and not try to fit all his faves into the starting 11 

Clueless crap.

Shameful

Any other side (including the abysmal West Ham) would have turned over such a crap side as Wigan.

Disgraceful performance.

And I agree wholeheartedly about Roeder "fitting in his faves" :tickedoff:

This was one of the days.......................................but man I am pissed we had the chances but it was always the last kick that failed.

A wise man once said that what defines good team from average  team is the last pass and that made it case today. 

And I think that is your problem we just don’t have the players to push higher up the table so 8-12 I going to be your place.

But I though that bramble, gooch ,martins first half , did okay today but duff and solano and butt did have to many bad passes.

Now we just need to hope that we win boro!!!!!!!!!! 

Guest s0ftcore

I thought our midfield today looked clueless. We hardly won the 2nd ball and that cost us dearly.

Bramble: solid  defensively but ffs, stop kicking the ball like its a fucking bomb or something. Everytime he gets it he hoofs it. Even when hes not under pressure. Pisses me off

Abit unhappy with Roeder playing Sibs upfront. Martins is quite a static striker imo, who only moves when the ball comes to him. We had been playing well because Dyer would drop and 'connect' Martins with the midfield. With Sibs, its 2 static strikers and it just spells long ball making our gameplay predictable. At least if you have Dyer dropping and you give a long ball you catch the defence off guard. So what was Roeder thinking? I don't know. And it makes me sad that he's even renewed Sibs contract based on what he's done so far (which I can't take away from him) but surely he should have waited till end of season where there might have been options like Ashton if West Ham went down? Makes me concerned about next season -.-

Frustrating.

Guest s0ftcore

Fraid to say that having a fully fit squad isn't going to make any difference until GR learns how to play the best team and not try to fit all his faves into the starting 11 

Aye. Imagine when Carr's back :(

Can't say i am suprised

A really poor seconed half,with the only upside is Carroll putting in a decent peformence

My Ratings

Given 8 - My MOTM,fantastic saves all day and kept us in it

Taylor 6- Wasn't at his best,NOT a right back

Gooch 6-good in the air,poor everywhere else

Bramble 6-looked decent,nothing special.

Huntington 5- Poor,just kept giving the ball away to Wigan

Parker 6- Still not back to his last season's peformence

Butt 5-Hardly saw him playing today,him and parker shouldnt be in the same line-up

Solano 5- Missed a penalty,wasn't at his best

Duff 5- started well,but then did f*** all for the rest of the game,poor

Martins 7-just kept on running,seemed to be our only good outfield player

Sibreski 5- Actually forgot about him,very poor peformence despite winning a penalty

Subs:

Milner 6 - was a handfull,much better then nobby as our RW,poor cross in the last mins though

N'Zogbia 6- was far better then Duff as a LW,good to see him back

Carroll 6 - came late,decent peformence,nice shot and just needs to increase his strength because we don't want him to be the next Peter Crouch

Overall 6- Poor,average,predictable peformence,lets forget it and move on,but i blame Roeders line-up for this defeat

Well, at least we're taking from the rich and giving to the poor.

We'll put up a good fight against Manure or 'Pool, but we're too darn good-hearted to take points off relegation zone teams.

That's right, we're NUFC, the Robin Hood of the Premiership!  :buck2:

At least it fuks West Ham over.

About the only positive from that result.

GR needs a shake, as do the team, and certainly the board for spending fuk all.

LOL

Thanks Roeder,I want to listen to his excuse again.

"We were poor today and there is no excuse, I could turn round to you and blame it on the absence of key players like Emre and Dyer but I won't do that..."

Honestly, I thought we performed very well in parts of that game. Things going against us, various sucker punches [missing the pen, their goal, minor ref decisions] really riled us though. We stopped playing possession football, and all of a sudden everyone was trying Stevie Gerrard Hollywood balls from all over the pitch. We lost our patience, and they kept the ball, and we invited pressure on ourselves. Customarily, we all know what happens when we invite pressure on ourselves... we get battered.

I thought our defence was quite decent though. Onyewu did poorly, mind you. He showed his lack of experience on a big[ger] stage. He didn't play intelligently, and the Wigan players knew that the ref would discriminate against his huge frame if he was even mildly reckless [which he was] - awarding freekicks and such.  He has much to learn.

The midfield was poor too, and though Duff started brightly, his fitness is still unacceptable. Disappointing, but I hope there's a silver lining, and Roeder[/players] have learnt from this.

Well, at least we're taking from the rich and giving to the poor.

We'll put up a good fight against Manure or 'Pool, but we're too darn good-hearted to take points off relegation zone teams.

That's right, we're NUFC, the Robin Hood of the Premiership!  :buck2:

At least it fuks West Ham over.

About the only positive from that result.

GR needs a shake, as do the team, and certainly the board for spending fuk all.

LOL

:rolleyes:

Watched the game live over here (sweden) on Canal+ so....

FIRST HALF

We dominated, at times it looked like a stroll in the park, loads of space in midfield, Oba looked hot, him n Sib were making a lot of chances. Definately a pen for me, good save by Filan to be fair, and he also made a couple of other good saves in the half. Guess youve got to question Given on the goal, think he was stood out of position.

SECOND HALF

Terrible, considering we are supposed to be fighting for a european spot, there was no determination at all, and we didnt get the ball in the half, and Filan had nothing to do. Carroll was the only bright spark in the half, why give him 5mins? Sib was appalling in that 2nd half (as were the rest), might as well have stuck Carroll on at the same time as Zog n Milner.

RATINGS

Given 7

Taylor 7

Gooch 8

Bramble 7

Hunty 7

Solano 6

Parker 6

Butt 6

Duff 6

Martins 7

Sibierski 6

Zoggy 6

Milner 6

Carroll 7

That performance (like the fulham away game) show why we will not finish in the Euro spots.

Other point - when Sib won the pen, looked like Filan did a 'garlic breath' gesture when they were face to face - ie swotting his hand over his nose like there was a bad smell. Be interesting to see if theres anything mentioned about that, or was i reading the gesture wrongly?

Guest Hodgson09

It was over once we missed the penalty penalty misses always completely ruin any chance we have of winning, it seems to demoralise everyone on the pitch, Wigan also raised their game after the miss and scored a good goal. We were poor after the miss and just got worse throughout. It was a poor penalty from Solano you could see where he was going to stick the ball before he even ran up to it. Waste of 90 minutes plus stoppages for me.

Other point - when Sib won the pen, looked like Filan did a 'garlic breath' gesture when they were face to face - ie swotting his hand over his nose like there was a bad smell. Be interesting to see if theres anything mentioned about that, or was i reading the gesture wrongly?

Might have been suggesting he'd dived?

Worse than Emre tbh