Will Michael Owen...

Baggio
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bobby Charlton  49

Gary Lineker  48

Jimmy Greaves  44

Michael Owen  36

Tom Finney  30

Nat Lofthouse  30

Alan Shearer  30

Vivian Woodward  29 

Stephen Bloomer  28

David Platt  27

Bobby Charlton  49

Gary Lineker  48

Jimmy Greaves  44

Michael Owen  36

Tom Finney  30

Nat Lofthouse  30

Alan Shearer  30

Vivian Woodward  29 

Stephen Bloomer  28

David Platt  27

I didn't realise it was that tight, actually. Still, i think it'll be difficult for him.

Yes he will

He is 27 and can play another 5-6 years and its obvious that he will be picked everytime in the England squad so i cant see what will stoped him from becoming England's ever top scorer

It's very likely, I suppose, as there don't seem to be any immediate challengers to his starting position for the national side at the moment. I can see Owen playing through another World Cup (if we qualify), as it's only just over 3 years away now and the bloke is only 27 (he'll be 30 during WC2010). Even after this injury I don't see the fundamental aspects of his game changing and I think he'll still be fully capable of scoring practically a goal every other game for the national side, especially considering some of the teams he'll come up against in friendlies and qualifiers between now and then.

It comes down to his fitness again, more than anything. But 30 games between now and the end of his career for England isn't that outlandish a possibility.

• 4 months later...

Up to 37 for England now.

Bobby Charlton  49

Gary Lineker  48

Jimmy Greaves  44

Michael Owen  37

Tom Finney  30

Nat Lofthouse  30

Alan Shearer  30

Vivian Woodward  29 

Stephen Bloomer  28

David Platt  27

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Go on to become England's all time top goalscorer?

Bobby Charlton got 50 didn't he? Owen is on 38 and he's only 27, so yeah I think he can.

Obviously depends on injuries...if he could actually stay injury free for the next 3 seasons, then undoubtedly 'Yes', but as he wont, it will be tight.

I can see him doing a Shearer, and retiring from International footy after the next world cup, he'll be 30, wont have the pace everyone remembers him for, and has had a history of serious injuries.