Mark Viduka signs for Newcastle - 2 years + 1 more optional

Guest SwissMagpie

Any of you lads/lasses heard of Alfonso Alves from Heerenveen?

Apparently scored 34 goals in 31 games or something ridiculous like that...sounds like a potential acquisition and I believe we would have a chance getting him.

I am aware but we have bought one season wonders at other clubs before & found them to be s**** when they join us. Fairplay if the fella does the biz next year.

Chelsea will not be selling Bridge.

3) There is a poster on the City forum I use who is a Heerenveen fan (Legacy of the Samaras transfer). Obviously he had an opinion on this story, and altho he thinks Alves is great he said he doesn't think he's cut out for the premiership. Never seen him myself so wouldn't know, but the same guy said Samaras wasn't ready so...I'm inclined to go with him.

Never mind that last one...I've just searched his posts, can't find anything negative. Must be thinking of someone else posts about him, or his posts about someone else.

PS:

Alves is absolutely magnificent. I have never seen such a good striker at our club' date=' and I've seen Tomasson, Nistelrooij, Allback, Huntelaar and Samaras... This guy is brilliant. He has pace, a devastating long shot and free kick, and is very strong... [/quote']

Doesn't sound bad.  :laugh:

Seems to think the going rate is £15m.

Guest SwissMagpie

By the way,where is Anal? he didn't write for the Chronicle since 19th of may.

Vacation? or he was sacked?

Afonso has been called up for the Brazil team.

Never seen him for Heerenveen, but he was way too good for the crap Swedish league. Hard to say how he'd do in any of the top leagues from what I've seen of him.

Guest Triglett

I remember an article where de Vissier (sp?), PSV/Chelski scout supremo, said Alves probably wouldn't make it in the Prem, or in fact any league where they can actually defend.

Had talks with Sam yesterday.

Make no mistake, i hope you're absolutely spot on, Crumpy. You've been right about similar things in the past if i recall correctly. He'll ask for a lot, but Viduka for Sibierski offers an infinitely better look to the attacking squad.

Guest eyeball_tickler

MARK VIDUKA has agreed to join Newcastle — but Scott Parker is set to leave in an £8.5million move to West Ham.

Aussie hitman Vid will be Sam Allardyce’s first high-profile signing since he took the Toon job at the end of the season.

Viduka, 31, was out of contract at Middlesbrough and rejected a new £40,000-a-week two-year deal to stay.

It is a huge blow to Boro boss Gareth Southgate as Viduka has proved a consistent goalscorer at the Riverside, as he was for his previous clubs Celtic and Leeds.

Viduka, who managed to bag 14 Premiership goals this term in an injury-hit season on Teesside, had also attracted strong interest from Portsmouth.

West Ham have tabled an £8.5m bid for Toon skipper Parker — who cost £6.5m from Chelsea two years ago.

The England midfielder, 26, used to play for Hammers boss Alan Curbishley at Charlton and fancies a return to London.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007250141,00.html

:thup: good start

The Smoggies shan't be chuffed.

The one that lives in my house will be fucking devastated. :lol:

I've told him that at least he'll still be able to use him on Pro Evo but it doesn't seem to help, funny that.

Good news if it's true, I hope this is a good sign of things to come. All we need now is for this fucking board to sell up and get the ball rolling in the transfer department.

Is Custis normally reliable? Can't remember.

Last sighting of him in Newcastle was getting out of the helicopter with Sam, when Sam flew into Newcastle to sign for us. I am sure  Shaun writes Big Sam's newspaper article, so I would imagine this is true. TheSun paper/online articles by Shaun or Neil Custis should be classed as reliable from now on,  A.Oliver will be sick.

Viduka & Owen could be some pairing. Both are prone to injury so we need Ameobi & Martins as back up & ideally add another striker; I'd love to see Eidur Gudjohnsen to add real competition & to allow for any rotation that may become required.

Guest teepee

i must say i'm a bit baffled by the joy of viduka signing, don't get me wrong he is a good player and i welcome him with open arms. but please remember that he is 31, tends to have injury problems and occasionally suffers loss of form.... good signing for now, but hardly the player to transform this newcastle side...

Viduka joining Toon Army

REPORTS are rife that Australia striker Mark Viduka is set to switch English Premier League clubs before the weekend, signing for Newcastle United from Middlesbrough.

The Socceroos World Cup star would join the Toon Army on a free transfer, since he is out of contract at Boro, and link up with respected coach Sam Allardyce, who recently joined the Magpies from Bolton Wanderers.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21826303-23215,00.html