Sam: I'm close to first signing

Guest smoggeordie

They mentioned Boateng on the Tyne Tees news (not exactly the best source but...) and they also mentioned Ben Haim and Curtis Davies who WB value at £10m.

If we have the dosh, get em in

No way Sam blows £10 million on Davies. This has to be a left over rumours from the Glenn Roeder days.

The reaction to Kingston and Boateng makes me giggle though. Is it such a surprise that good players can be found in not so obvious places? Just look at Drogba you want to talk about a late developer? He was playing in the second division at the age of 22!

Even Ben Haim, you know, the guy we are all hoping signs ... I wonder what the rection would have been if we were signing him from Israel like Sam did while he was at Bolton. I mean we are talking about an Israeli player from Israel here. People would have been going mental!

Sam's got skills. I'm not necessarily saying that these guys will be world beaters, but I can guarantee you they will not be crap, and there is a chance, in my opinion, that they will be very good. They will make a contribution to our team. 

I am really excited that Sam appears to be sticking to his formula and not deviating from it just because there might be a rich new owner.

The reaction to Kingston and Boateng makes me giggle though. Is it such a surprise that good players can be found in not so obvious places? Just look at Drogba you want to talk about a late developer? He was playing in the second division at the age of 22!

There's a load of good african players out there in strange places - alot of them take the first offer abroad which is why they end up if places like Israel, Russia and Turkey not to mention agents arent the most model of business men in africa.

No way Sam blows £10 million on Davies. This has to be a left over rumours from the Glenn Roeder days.

Even Ben Haim, you know, the guy we are all hoping signs ... I wonder what the rection would have been if we were signing him from Israel like Sam did while he was at Bolton. I mean we are talking about an Israeli player from Israel here. People would have been going mental!

Sam's got skills. I'm not necessarily saying that these guys will be world beaters, but I can guarantee you they will not be crap, and there is a chance, in my opinion, that they will be very good. They will make a contribution to our team. 

I am really excited that Sam appears to be sticking to his formula and not deviating from it just because there might be a rich new owner.

Agreed, dunno why Sam would want Davies when we have Taylor, is there any point at all? All we need is experience beside Taylor which we can get dirt cheap seemingly. Which is nice.

Agreed, dunno why Sam would want Davies when we have Taylor, is there any point at all? All we need is experience beside Taylor which we can get dirt cheap seemingly. Which is nice.

Squad depth. Plus despite what he may have looked like in a U21 game or the odd appearance someone may have caught of West Brom he is actually a very good young player.

They're not crap by any stretch of the imagination. I'm going with Sam's judgement on these two, Kingston especially from what I've heard 2nd hand is a bit tasty.

Squad depth. Plus despite what he may have looked like in a U21 game or the odd appearance someone may have caught of West Brom he is actually a very good young player.

He certainly is, but for £10 million you want someone who is going to come in and lead your defence. Not a youngster for squad depth. West Brom are really messing the boy up with their outrageous valuation of him.

They're not crap by any stretch of the imagination. I'm going with Sam's judgement on these two, Kingston especially from what I've heard 2nd hand is a bit tasty.

Parky I was wondering though ... do you think Boateng is being monitored as an alternative to Kingston or do you think Sam wants both?

I cannot believe Hearts have an agreement to take up the option on Kingston for £500,00 and they haven't done so. Just over a week to go and we will have a chance at him.

Guest Invicta_Toon

he's not a top 6 Premiership player, you can have that from me first hand for free

Guest Invicta_Toon

He certainly is, but for £10 million you want someone who is going to come in and lead your defence. Not a youngster for squad depth. West Brom are really messing the boy up with their outrageous valuation of him.

Jon is class like, £10m for squad building, but we absolutely must have the Fat Aussie leading the line because he's free

He definitely isn't worth £10m at the moment but I wouldn't be disappointed if we overpaid for him a little as long as we sort out the rest of the squad aswell.

Jon is class like, £10m for squad building, but we absolutely must have the Fat Aussie leading the line because he's free

Anyone who wears their mothers coat shouldn't be allowed an opinion on football tbh.

he's not a top 6 Premiership player, you can have that from me first hand for free

For my money he's better than Sissoko. I think it's too early to tell. He has the tools to do it and I wouldn't want to say categorically he can't. Take your point though fella as always.

Parky I was wondering though ... do you think Boateng is being monitored as an alternative to Kingston or do you think Sam wants both?

I cannot believe Hearts have an agreement to take up the option on Kingston for £500,00 and they haven't done so. Just over a week to go and we will have a chance at him.

No idea unfortunately. I have a feeling we would have signed sounded out  ;) Kingston untill the Ashley thing changed the whole ball game.

No idea unfortunately. I have a feeling we would have signed sounded out  ;) Kingston untill the Ashley thing changed the whole ball game.

A new Alan Oliver in training :D

;)

What? I was really looking forward to some classic Sam signings. players who would definitely be taking a steop up by coming here, and hopefully doing very well. I had high hopes for Kingston.

That really sucks! I hope your not saying Sam's got 'stars' in his eyes. Is he now after bigger names, or has the Ashley thing just slowed everything down.

What? I was really looking forward to some classic Sam signings. players who would definitely be taking a steop up by coming here, and hopefully doing very well. I had high hopes for Kingston.

That really sucks! I hope your not saying Sam's got 'stars' in his eyes. Is he now after bigger names, or has the Ashley thing just slowed everything down.

The media are fanning up a whole host of flames reg Beckham (cobblers) Crouch (not even leaving Liverpool by all accounts) and even Reo-Cocker who is clearly going to Arsenal, because there is still a lag in the system and they haven't come to terms with Sam/Newcastle and the fact he is very diligent regarding researching players. Hence Kingston and Boateng aren't names the red tops want to attach to us. Although regarding Kingston ( I mentioned him to a few on here two weeks ago iirc) began to appear as a definite possibility ( and I think he still is) as someone who Sam has been tracking from his Bolton days.

Sam will sign one or two hard working and high tempo African players and he also likes a bargain, these two fit the frame. I know very little about them, but you can bet Sam knows as much as he needs to know. On the last point he probably is looking for a big marquee player as the whole ballgame has changed over the last week, but that doesn't mean he will turn down Sammy style bargains.

A new Alan Oliver in training :D

;)

You love me.

Reckon we are going to need at least 10-15 players coming in.  We were about 4 players short last year and 6 have gone already and if others leave, it could be even more.  If we get some "name" signings, there will be have to be a few bargains just to bolster the squad.