Sam: I'm close to first signing

Guest smoggeordie

£45m sounds like a lot of money but we have a lot of positions to fill and cover. I would rather have a good squad than a decent squad with a couple of excellent players. We are still far far away from being able to turn our noses up at the likes of Ben Haim on a free. I also think Viduka would be too good to miss out on if we have the chance to bring him in, he is experienced, has the quality and would work well with any of our strikers.

In a perfect world I would like to see us bring in about 8 or 9 players, for £45m (if we actually have that amount) we aren't going to get 8 or 9 top class players.

Anyone think we can get better then Ben Haim?

Don't get me wrong, he's pretty decent but for 45 millions we can get better players i will be happy if Big Sam gets him here but won't be too gutted if we miss out on him..

The money we may or may not have doesn't come into it. If free transfers are good enough for Chelsea they're good enough for us. Ben Haim is better than what we already have. Get him in. Who knows if we'll be able to buy a better defender. They may not be available.

Aye, thats the problem, he's free and signing him won't cost us much  + it will bring a decent defender in, but if we can get better then why not get them..

We can either play it safe and take Ben Haim, who is far better then what we used to have, or take a gamble..and try to bring in players who are even better then him..but thats being too optimstic because i don't think better players will want to come here in the first place.

I rather this season we build a squad. When we finally have a squad where we've got more than one man to choose from on each position. Then next season we can start looking for talents and gambles.

Guest pont-toon

I'm conficent Viduka will sign this week.

And I've been told that Joey Barton is on Sams list.

reliable source ?

Be interesting to see how many assists Barton has compared to Emre/Parker.

Last season

Barton 4

Milner 7

N'Zogbia 3

Emre 2

Butt 2

Duff 2

Dyer 2

Parker 1

So more than all our central midfielders pllaying in a s*** team

FM gone mad,assists tell us very little,like trying to pick a team on opta stats.does a player get marked with an assist even if he had a shot going 10yds wide but is headed in by a team mate...yes.pointless stats are beginning to take over this forum.

Barton. Decent player with the potential to be a very good and effective attacking midfielder.

Really would like to see him relish under some good man-management.

At the right price, i'd definitely take a gamble on him.

I'm conficent Viduka will sign this week.

And I've been told that Joey Barton is on Sams list.

reliable source ?

Crumpy has said stuff like this in the past which have turned out to be pretty accurate...

Sam Allardyce is set to make the Ghana international Derek Boateng his first signing at Newcastle United. The expected arrival of the 24-year-old is a clear sign that the new manager wants to overhaul his midfield as well as defence with the injury-prone and high-earning Kieron Dyer, who has interested Tottenham Hotspur, unlikely to figure in Allardyce's plans.

Newcastle are also aware of West Ham United's strong interest in buying Scott Parker, who has failed to settle in the north-east and, according to sources, the club is prepared to let their captain go if they receive an acceptable bid. Newcastle want at least £7m for Parker.

Boateng, a striker who has been converted into an attacking midfielder, plays for the Israeli club Beitar Jerusalem. Allardyce has been tracking him for some time and had earmarked him as a recruit for Bolton.

Although the transfer fee is thought to be less than £1m, Boateng has had an outstanding season at Beitar, having moved there last summer when he signed a three-year contract. He had previously played in Greece and Sweden and represented Ghana in last summer's World Cup.

Boateng has yet to fulfil his potential although he has thrived in Israel. Four years ago Middlesbrough attempted to sign him but the bid failed because he could not secure a work permit. Since then he has become a regular international and now partners Michael Essien in the heart of midfield for his country.

Boateng may not be a high-profile signing but he is the kind of imaginative arrival that was the hallmark of Allardyce's time at Bolton. Having missed out on Steve Sidwell, who has moved to Chelsea from Reading after initially indicating he would move to St James' Park, he also represents the attacking threat that Allardyce feels Newcastle lack from the centre of midfield.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2591539.ece

Hearts risk losing Kingston

HEARTS have until June 6 to finalise the permanent transfer of Larry Kingston from Terek Grozny or risk losing him to another club.

The Evening News has learned that Hearts' first-option clause on the Ghanaian must be activated within the next 13 days, as stipulated in the loan agreement brokered with Terek in January.

English clubs are monitoring the situation but Vladimir Romanov has first refusal on Kingston for a previously agreed fee in the region of £500,000.

But he must complete the deal by June 6 or the player will become available to the highest bidder.

Kingston has been alerted to the interest from England but has already publicly declared his desire to remain at Tynecastle.

He is currently on a two-week break in Ghana whilst awaiting clarification on his future. The 26-year-old signed a three-and-a-half-year contract with Hearts worth £15,000 a week upon his arrival from Terek in January, which will continue from the summer if his move is made permanent.

Kingston's agent, Alexander Fedoseev, said today: "I think we need one week for a final answer. We are negotiating with Hearts but the contract states they have the first option. We are awaiting a reply from them. Larry is enjoying his vacation but before June 6 we will know everything.

"One agent from England called me and said that a team there wanted to sign Larry, but I said that until Hearts refuse him we can do nothing. I can't discuss any other options with teams until Hearts say no.

"I want Larry to stay in Edinburgh."

Kingston, 26, saw a potential move to Bolton Wanderers fall through in January before Romanov took him to Hearts on a six-month loan from Terek. Sam Allardyce has since left the Reebok Stadium to manage Newcastle United, but he still rates the player highly and may try to tempt him to St James Park.

Sammy Lee, Allardyce's replacement at Bolton, is also understood to retain an interest in Kingston.

I now who Boateng is=)

He has played in Sweden, Allsvenskan. Moore I don´t want to say!

Think Kingston would be a better signing. But Boateng can be decent to. TBH he´s not a starplayer

Haha it's funny how Big Sam and Little Sam are always going for the same players now supposedly. I guess Big Sam is trying to get some of his transfer-targets from Bolton into Newcastle.

it shows how much work and planning he had in place in relation to targets he wanted. 

Roeder would probably think about sending out his scout in the next week or so.

I will feel a lot better when I know Sam's behind his desk sorting out future signings, rather than on the end of a phone on holiday with "I thought we were going swiming, I thought you were going to take the kids snorkling" in his ear from the missus. :)

10 million :idiot2:

That's what i'd expect to pay for champions league quality not a injury prone championship defender, he's hardly set the world alight either.

WBA believing all the hype tbh, not a chance, i think he'd be a good addition alongside Taylor but not at that price.

Would rather of spent £7.5m on Woody, a bigger risk in terms of injury but it would of been better spent.

There's a number of players who Roeder was linked with - Davies, Crouch, Viduka - who are now being linked with Big Sam. It just strikes me as lazy journalism.

Bingo, and we are going to be linked with every fucker under the sun if the takeover goes through.  :buck2: