Sam: I'm close to first signing

Guest smoggeordie

Probably going to get a bit of stick for this but why on earth do we only get linked with Premiership-based players, particularily those with issues (out of contract (Ben Haim)/wants out (Viduka)/aging (Hyppia/Campbell)/no future (Barton) etc)?

We've got money - regardless of the takeover - and I don't understand why people/the papers/the club (?) seem to have such a problem looking into Europe or the lower leagues for new players. Of all the players we've been linked with this window I can count about 3 who aren't playing in England.

Hopefully it's just a case of waiting for the Europeans league to end and for the club's staff and infrastructure to be sorted.

I wouldn't call being out of contract an 'issue'. Nothing wrong with getting good players without having to pay a transfer fee. Anyway, Allardyce has already said he would be looking at bringing in some non-big name players from around Europe.

He is a good player Barton but he's the type who'll split fans like Parker and Emre because like those two, he's decent enough but nowt special. Hopefully we'll stay clear of the cockend and aim for an all-round better player.

He is an all round better player than the two you mention.

Maybe so, but unfortunately he's a complete and utter twat and that alone puts me right off him.

Probably going to get a bit of stick for this but why on earth do we only get linked with Premiership-based players, particularily those with issues (out of contract (Ben Haim)/wants out (Viduka)/aging (Hyppia/Campbell)/no future (Barton) etc)?

We've got money - regardless of the takeover - and I don't understand why people/the papers/the club (?) seem to have such a problem looking into Europe or the lower leagues for new players. Of all the players we've been linked with this window I can count about 3 who aren't playing in England.

Big Sam said very early doors he'd be looking European if necessary, I certainly don't think there's any danger of us simply signing proven Premiership players - it's not his way and never has been (never had the chance with Bolton?). Nothing's signed, sealed or delivered on these rumours yet - but surely we couldn't complain with Ben Haim and Viduka on free transfers? I agree that the other domestic links have been numerous AND tenuous and most will probably be utter bollocks/smokescreens sent out by the club/agents/players and won't come to anything.

I wouldn't worry too much 'chronic, let's see who he actually brings through the door. I see what you're getting at though, but like I've said already I'd be fairly chuffed with two free transfers of that calibre. Less so on Barton, but he's better than anything we've got in the centre currently.

Guest Knightrider

We'll start looking at Europe when Sam has his staff in place to investigate such players with the diligence he requires in order to ascertain whether they are worth the risk. He knows Ben Haim inside out, Viudka's record is transparent and so too is Barton's - in short he knows all about them and while Barton carries a lot of baggage, he'll be confident he'll keep him on the straight and narrow.

In his press conference Sam spoke quite clearly about buying players here and abroad. I'm sure once his backroom team or parts of it are in place we'll widen our search.

Anyway, he'll be looking for proven players in his first season anyway, which for him, especially so now, is an important one. Do well this season and he'll be allowed to make one or two mistakes in the transfer market. Now if he spunks a lot of money away on unheard of foreigners or the equivalent of your Luques, and we don't have such a good season, he'll be under real pressure. I trust Sam, he knows best and this method of buying in good proven players first clearly shows he's thinking ahead all the time.

Stop worrying man ;)

Is it not a working day for people in England today? Heard something about it being a sunday today from a friend who lives in London..

It's a bank holiday today, the vast majority of the country has the day off.

Ah ok. Cheers....I had no idea about that. She usually talks so much s*** so i thought  that she just wanted to make up an excuse for getting drunk and going out to party..

Is the meeting going to be tomorrow for sure? I have read about it being early in this week but not any day confirmed.

But i guess that they want to do this as wuick as possible (the meeting that is) i just hope that it will ease off from there so i can call work and say im sick and have a cold BIG BEER and just enjoy the moment =)

Be interesting to see how many assists Barton has compared to Emre/Parker.

Last season

Barton 4

Milner 7

N'Zogbia 3

Emre 2

Butt 2

Duff 2

Dyer 2

Parker 1

Hopefully it's just a case of waiting for the Europeans league to end and for the club's staff and infrastructure to be sorted.

I wouldn't call being out of contract an 'issue'. Nothing wrong with getting good players without having to pay a transfer fee. Anyway, Allardyce has already said he would be looking at bringing in some non-big name players from around Europe.

When I say "issue" I don't automatically mean it as a bad thing. And no, there's nothing with getting good players on a free, or sourcing them out from a limited perspective. Obviously. I'd happily have Viduka, Ben Haim, Campbell etc here...

But I'd also hope we make the effort and look around Europe and the lower leagues during this window, like the likes of Spurs and Liverpool are doing.

Should add that if it was still Roeder and Shepherd then I wouldn't expect anything other than a summer of mostly domestic incomings, but with Allardyce and potentially Ashley I have a bit more faith in things. Saying that, we can only sign who'll come and who's available and you shouldn't forget that club-wise, we haven't had a scouting network worth shite for years now. Hopefully Allardyce has brought all his gen from Bolton with him... he undoubtedly will have his own targets who he's watched for a good while. Whether they'll suit us is another matter of course.

Exciting times, as people keep saying. Can't quite believe it myself.

Guest Knightrider

He is a good player Barton but he's the type who'll split fans like Parker and Emre because like those two, he's decent enough but nowt special. Hopefully we'll stay clear of the cockend and aim for an all-round better player.

Well I disagree, I think in an attacking sense he has more drive and a better shot on him, but even then his end product is questionable and while he's certainly a talented passer of the ball, he does like to overplay it when a much more simple pass would be more effective, at times anyway. I'm also unsure as to what degree he could improve as a player. To make the gamble less of a risk, I'd be looking to see some real potential in him and I don't see it.

Well I disagree, I think in an attacking sense he has more drive and a better shot on him, but even then his end product is questionable and while he's certainly a talented passer of the ball, he does like to overplay it when a much more simple pass would be more effective, at times anyway. I'm also unsure as to what degree he could improve as a player. To make the gamble less of a risk, I'd be looking to see some real potential in him and I don't see it.

His attitude aside, from what I've seen of him he does look a fucking player and a half. He's a winner as well by the looks of him... how many of those have we had at the club in recent years? Of course it's a gamble, but he's light-years ahead of Parker, Butt and Emre at the current time and playing in an absolutely pitiful Manchester City team, an' all... they finished below us, for fuck's sake.

Kevin Nolan anyone?

No thanks imo. Is going to cost quite much, and i dont think he's that good, I would rather like us to look at other options than him..

Anyone think we can get better then Ben Haim?

Don't get me wrong, he's pretty decent but for 45 millions we can get better players i will be happy if Big Sam gets him here but won't be too gutted if we miss out on him..

On a free transfer and probably not commanding gigantic wages despite what he would supposedly get at Chelsea I think he's a big, big step-up from Moore, Onyewu and Bramble. Obviously not world-class, but certainly worth being pleased about. He's a bit on the dinky side, mind. Barely 6-foot, is he?

Don't forget the £45M thing may be fiction, Ashley may not get control and the Ben Haim deal might never happen as well. It definitely makes sense to me, though, it's like Mourinho did with Chelsea when he brought Ferreira and Carvalho with him and later Maniche - makes sense for Allardyce to bring in people he can trust and who he believes in - and vice-versa, by all accounts.

4. Against Boro(h), Fulham(h), Boro(a) and Fulham(a)  :laugh:

More than Emre and Parker put together!!

Parker in his Charlton form is a vastly superior player than Barton has ever shown.

Whether or not Allardyce can get it out of him, or whether indeed Parker is capable of reproducing it is another matter, however. 

Don't get me wrong, he's pretty decent but for 45 millions we can get better players i will be happy if Big Sam gets him here but won't be too gutted if we miss out on him..

The money we may or may not have doesn't come into it. If free transfers are good enough for Chelsea they're good enough for us. Ben Haim is better than what we already have. Get him in. Who knows if we'll be able to buy a better defender. They may not be available.

Last season

Barton 4

Milner 7

N'Zogbia 3

Emre 2

Butt 2

Duff 2

Dyer 2

Parker 1

So more than all our central midfielders pllaying in a shit team

Its just the beginning of the spending I think. We had a thin squad all of last season and now with those 5 players released, we're down to barely nothing. I see this as the start of much bigger buys but the 2-3 players mentioned already I see as ready-made quick buys that can play straight into the team. In the future, as said, we'll have our structure sorted, money at the ready and more time to cherry pick the future stars from Europe.

Guest Knightrider

Parker in his Charlton form is a vastly superior player than Barton has ever shown.

Whether or not Allardyce can get it out of him, or whether indeed Parker is capable of reproducing it is another matter, however. 

I'd have to agree there, in his final season at Charlton Parker was immense.

People turning there noses up at proven Premiership quality players man, at this moment in time due to the fragile nature the squad is in we cannot afford to take a gamble. Get in the players we know can do a job until we have the infrastructure there to try and take a gamble on some unknown quantities, yet again our fans seem to be aiming to high again and are thinking above their stations due to the new circumstances surrounding the club.

Howay man a bit of patience please, think were we finished last season and how far back we have gone in the last few seasons. We cannot afford to rub our noses up at players like Viduka, especially on a free transfer. You can't aim to build a mansion without solid foundations laid down, am I correct?

People turning there noses up at proven Premiership quality players man, at this moment in time due to the fragile nature the squad is in we cannot afford to take a gamble. Get in the players we know can do a job until we have the infrastructure there to try and take a gamble on some unknown quantities, yet again our fans seem to be aiming to high again and are thinking above their stations due to the new circumstances surrounding the club.

Howay man a bit of patience please, think were we finished last season and how far back we have gone in the last few seasons. We cannot afford to rub our noses up at players like Viduka, especially on a free transfer. You can't aim to build a mansion without solid foundations laid down, am I correct?

Fucking spot on that man.

The money we may or may not have doesn't come into it. If free transfers are good enough for Chelsea they're good enough for us. Ben Haim is better than what we already have. Get him in. Who knows if we'll be able to buy a better defender. They may not be available.

Aye, thats the problem, he's free and signing him won't cost us much  + it will bring a decent defender in, but if we can get better then why not get them..

We can either play it safe and take Ben Haim, who is far better then what we used to have, or take a gamble..and try to bring in players who are even better then him..but thats being too optimstic because i don't think better players will want to come here in the first place.