Scott Parker signs for West Ham - £6.5m (+£500k) fee confirmed

Dokko

Good price, but I don't fancy replacing Parker with Barton, if that's the plan. Parker can still come good, imo, and I'd be more than glad to get shot of Emre before him, tbh, so let's not shoot ourselves in the foot. Fair enough if he wants to leave.

Give it to Taylor. It would mean the world to him and you just know that he would not let anyone down.

Experience and a fighting spirit should be the ingrediants of a captain.  Sadly Taylor lacks the experience.  Can you see older heads listening to Taylor on the pitch? - Butt's won stuff with Man Utd, he's played in the biggest competitions, just seems to me to be the right man out of what we currently have.

Do understand the shouts for Given to be captain, but I've always felt its best to have your captain in the middle of the park.

Don't want to see Parker go - especially if he is to be replaced by Barton.  We have been slowly getting rid of all the "bad" character players such as Bowyer and Bellamy so don't want another who takes assaulting team mates and supporters to a new level.  How would he cope with the "goldfish bowl"?

However if Parker is to leave, think we should take the Spurs route and try and get as much money as possible for players we don't need to lose and not accept the first offer that comes along.  West Ham have already shown they are ready to pay silly money and over the top wages to get players. (Reckon they are the only ones who could afford Dyer's wages).

Do we need to sell before we can buy or is there plenty of money for Sam?  The prospective take over has muddied things somewhat.

I would honestly have been expecting to make a loss on the lad given his 'form' this season. For some thick twat to offer £2m clear of what we paid for him is beyond belief. However, if West Ham have made their opening bid £8.5m, then I'd like to see us reject it and settle for about £9.5m.  :coolsmiley:

I'd rather see Parker here but to be honest I wouldn't be devasted if he left. Last season he seemed quite limited despite his efforts and has been one of the most committed players I've seen. He just creates very little, has a weak shot and scores very few...

I'm confident we can replace him and if that has to be Barton, thats fine with me. £8.5m will be very useful indeed.

I'd still try and squeeze more money out of them, but if they won't budge then I wouldn't hesitate at taking £8.5M for a player who'd probably want to go anyway.

I'd be sad to see Parker go. He had potential but like most players he dipped in confidence. And on that note a major reason many on here are celebrating his impending departure is due to the fact that he was made captain. As all of our managers have pointed out (including Big Sam) very few players can play at SJP and even fewer can wear the armband. Wearing the armband is the equivilent of being Jon Dahl Tomasson having a start every day - you make a mistake and the crowd will get on your back in a heartbeat. Like JDT I think Parker will go onto be a great player... just not here. The legacy of Shearer is a f*cking huge one and he is one of the few people that could take the heat and get plenty of forgiveness from the fans (the obvious Shearer haters are obviously exempt) - We are not going to sign another Shearer and we certainly are not going to have one as Captain.

That said making Butt captain would be a huge f*cking mistake. He is about as talkative as Given and when his play (and the team's) goes bad he becomes even more reclusive/introverted which would only compound matters. He is a confidence player as well and his confidence would suffer immensely if handed the armband, the crowd would get on his back, his form would get worse, repeat cycle until transferred.

The only options we have as Captain are Solano and Given - because both know the SJP crowd and are by and large well liked by the supporters. Because pressures are so huge (and Shearer's shadow lingers) I would not even bother assigning a single "captain" right now but would probably have Solano & Given as co-captains until our team becomes more solid and time moves on.

Really, like Parker and will be disappointed to see him go....

But, I think that the club can do better. At this point, I don't know that we'd be any worse off if we'd had Butt and Emre instead of Parker and Emre.

And £8.5m is good business. I'm pretty confident that Allardyce will spend that money  wisely.

Guest Invicta_Toon

If he wnated to stay and I thought his heart was in it I would be happy to see him stay here but we need players who want to be here and I get the feeling he wants out!

of all signings over the last 2 years he is probably the one who wanted to be here the most

that should tell you something tbh

Welcome to my world. Wullie will sort it for you.

£8.5 million for a very average player who I'd expect  to be easily replaced - first season he was committed and looked passable captain material. I don't know whether it's the glandular fever or whether Roeder pissed him off but he was only half the player in his second season here. But please, not Joey Barton.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Welcome to my world. Wullie will sort it for you.

£8.5 million for a very average player who I'd expect  to be easily replaced - first season he was committed and looked passable captain material. I don't know whether it's the glandular fever or whether Roeder pissed him off but he was only half the player in his second season here. But please, not Joey Barton.

Duff? he'll be next tbh, oh right, just got it :lol:

Lynchpin of my Proevo team gone now.

And I'll have to change my username.

Bullocks.

That is all

"Joey Barton's fist of fury"

You can have that.

'Smokin' Joey Barton

"Joey Barton's side parting"

Except he doesnt have one.