Joey Barton completes move for £5.8m - Man City

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't know why people are bothering to think of a future with emre. He's one of our most inconsistent players weve got (in both seasons, unlike parker) and i think he's one who we definitely should and most likely will, get rid of

You are blind...Sorry mate...

Emre has talent and can create something out of nothing...He didn't have a consistent last season but that's due to many reasons, one of them having Roeder, long spells on the treatment bench and the racisim accusation against him...Under Sam Allardyce I am hoping that things will improve with less injuries and players wanting to play for a manager who knows what he wants from his players...I think we should give Emre the chance to shine because deep inside there is a lot of talent there than can unlock enemy defences...

Guest Ridzuan

I think the people who will be most worried about this news is our other players.They know what Barton can do to them and they shall not mess about with him.On a serious note,I think this is a good move and I really hope that Barton will change his character soon.

Got to trust the boss on this really.

Ive liked him as a player for a few years now. Poor mans Gerrard but has potential. For the money we are paying for him and what we are getting for Parker, a no brainer for me.

Better player than Reo Coker or Nolan, we could buy boetang and still have several million in our pockets.

More similar to Bowyer than Bellamy IMO, more of a loner than someone to lord it up at quayside.

I don't know why people are bothering to think of a future with emre. He's one of our most inconsistent players weve got (in both seasons, unlike parker) and i think he's one who we definitely should and most likely will, get rid of

Emre has talent and can create something out of nothing...He didn't have a consistent last season but that's due to many reasons, one of them having Roeder, long spells on the treatment bench and the racisim accusation against him...Under Sam Allardyce I am hoping that things will improve with less injuries and players wanting to play for a manager who knows what he wants from his players...I think we should give Emre the chance to shine because deep inside there is a lot of talent there than can unlock enemy defences...

agreed

never thought I would say this, but Emre is the best candidate for captaincy

agreed

never thought I would say this, but Emre is the best candidate for captaincy

A bit too far.  I'd pick Butt, Taylor, Solano, Given, Owen for starters ahead of Emre. 

Guest Guinness

Just seen the SSN paper round up and one (think it was the Mirror) say that he's in talks with West Ham as well as ourselves.

Just seen the SSN paper round up and one (think it was the Mirror) say that he's in talks with West Ham as well as ourselves.

That's most likely why we are keeping hold of Parker until Barton signs. So that they don't end up with both Parker and Barton.

Guest teepee

one can only hope ;-)

we have cash, and i'd rather see us make a bid for appiah - better player, less of a psycho

Eh...If Pennant went to Jail, Barton could go to Jail. Maybe no for long, but could happen...

A month in jail might do him a bit of good. So far, he doesn't really seem to have paid any kind of price for his actions.

So Barton is a bit of a t*** off the field. A lot of a t***, in fact. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Roy Keane regularly get this kind of press, and didn't he also get involved in some nastiness involving him twatting a bird whilst out on the piss?

What a lucky escape. I'm so glad he didn't devote the best part of his career to my club ....

Hell of a difference though in the abilities of Roy Keane and Joey Barton.

Indeed, but the people slagging him off for his (admittedly somewhat mardy-arsed) temperament might want to reflect on what they prefer, a team of losing nice guys, or a team with a few nasty c***s which wins things.

At the end of the day, Fat Sam wanted him, you've got to put trust in his judgement.

This is the one reason why I would be prepared to back Sam's judgement on this one. The Keane/Cantona mentality tore the Championship from our hands because we had players who bottled it when it counted under Keegan. Allardyce is right, it takes a certain type of character to play for a big club. Would think a move here would lessen chances of a spell inside for Barton as well. It shouldn't make any difference, but that's not how things always work.

What did Pennant do again?

Drink-driving.

Wasn't it Ashley Cole's Benz that he crashed?

No, Anthony Gardner's.  He weren't too impressed as he didn't know Pennant had it but never complained, those 2 are best mates! :rolleyes:

Guest johnson293

Last night Sky were claiming Parker had agreed personal terms, after the clubs had agreed the undisclosed fee.

Today there are reports coming form a source close to Parker, saying he wants to stay and is being forced out.

If the new reports are true, then why not say that as soon as it appears that you are being sold? Why wait until you have agreed terms at a new club?

Obviously once Parker signs, we will make the bid for Barton, as the club clearly dont want/can't afford to have both of them.

I dont believe the Parker story today, but maybe West ham wnat them both themsleves???

That's the SSN story out the window then, as i'm fairly certain Dick would have slipped them the story about him coming to NUFC.

Aye. The Hammers are being right idiots in the transfer market. Just hope Joey makes the right decision ;)

That's the SSN story out the window then, as i'm fairly certain Dick would have slipped them the story about him coming to NUFC.

Aye. The Hammers are being right idiots in the transfer market. Just hope Joey makes the right decision ;)

I don't think the SSN story is out of the window. It said in the Times this morning that West Ham registered an interest in Barton as a fall back option. This will still be the case in my opinion. I don't think they'll go for both.

FROM THE TIMES:

"Sam Allardyce did not shy away from recruiting players with questionable reputations during his time in charge of Bolton Wanderers and evidently he will not be afraid to do the same at Newcastle United, having lined up Joey Barton as his first signing since taking charge at St James’ Park three weeks ago.

A formal bid to Manchester City is expected today, with the likelihood that the controversial midfield player will jump at the opportunity to fill the void left by Scott Parker’s £8.5 million transfer to West Ham United.

West Ham registered an interest in Barton over the weekend as a fall-back option in case the Parker deal did not go through, but the Newcastle player is understood to have agreed personal terms last night, with a medical examination scheduled today.

Newcastle are expected to make City a formal offer in the region of £5 million for Barton today, but no obstacles are foreseen, with the midfield player eager to move to Tyneside after an unhappy and controversial end to his career at the City of Manchester Stadium"

Sounds a bit better to me! Can't see the 'Ammers needing both.  :thup:

Blind?  Realistic. 

Of course he has talent, but he's been very inconsistent both seasons, not just last year.  He's injury prone, and quite often in a game you can pin-point the moment when he thinks "I can't be arsed with this"

Guest BooBoo

Emre has done next to nothing in his Newcastle career to suggest he's worth keeping. Goals? Nope. Assists? Nope. Dead ball delivery?  :lol:

If we can make a profit on him, i'd ship him out.