Chelsea sign Ben Haim on 4 year deal - SSN

Dave

this news just shows that Ben-Haim is all about the money and nothing else, he worked with Big Sam for 3-4 years, and they knew each other inside out and we could guarentee first team football, now he has gone to Chelsea with next to no chance of first team football, well good luck to him.

Perhaps he doesn't like Allardyce.

Ive said before we never really knew the ins and outs to why he didnt sign a new agreement with Bolton possibly SA was one of the problems, still we dont want Bolton rejects to fill the squad with so SA will move on and hopefully go for better

Guest Triglett

this news just shows that Ben-Haim is all about the money and nothing else

Rubbish. It's not like money is all Chelsea have over us at the moment. CL football, a real chance to actually win something, an extraordinary manager, etc. He will have talked to Mourinho or other Chelsea representatives and obviously feels he will be involved in the first team sufficiently. I think this type of comment is very much sour grapes and well strange considering money is what we usually throw in our transfer targets' faces in abundance to compete with potentially more attractive clubs careerwise..

Yeah. And I think it's worth noting that Chelsea were following him for a while, which would certainly mean a lot to me anyway. Mourinho even fell out with RA because of him.

this news just shows that Ben-Haim is all about the money and nothing else, he worked with Big Sam for 3-4 years, and they knew each other inside out and we could guarentee first team football, now he has gone to Chelsea with next to no chance of first team football, well good luck to him.

Ive said before we never really knew the ins and outs to why he didnt sign a new agreement with Bolton possibly SA was one of the problems, still we dont want Bolton rejects to fill the squad with so SA will move on and hopefully go for better

Bolton reject? In what respect?

Rubbish. It's not like money is all Chelsea have over us at the moment. CL football, a real chance to actually win something, an extraordinary manager, etc. He will have talked to Mourinho or other Chelsea representatives and obviously feels he will be involved in the first team sufficiently. I think this type of comment is very much sour grapes and well strange considering money is what we usually throw in our transfer targets' faces in abundance to compete with potentially more attractive clubs careerwise..

Yeah. And I think it's worth noting that Chelsea were following him for a while, which would certainly mean a lot to me anyway. Mourinho even fell out with RA because of him.

Mate i just want to warn you, you've put a picture of Jermaine Jenas in your avatar.

Just in case you die of embarrassment or anything.

:thup:

soz Jon didnt mean that TBH was a reject i said "rejects" as we have been linked with nearly all of the backroom and playing staff in one way or another, I certainly feel TBH with his age and experience and the fact he worked with SA ooh and the fact we would be picking up another freebie would have been excellent. SA has had his fingers in so many pies (no puns intended) and I'm sure he is casting his eye further than down the road

Guest guinness_fiend

What makes everyone think that because a player signs for Chelsea he will always be solely about the money?  Granted, the wages offered at Stamford Bridge were probably huge, but any club signing someone on a free transfer can afford the extra outlay on wages. 

As it stands, Chelsea were one of the best clubs in the country last year and any player with *immediate* ambitions in regards to winning silver wear would more than likely snap up the opportunity to play with one of the top teams in the Premiership.  Players like Sidwell and Haim are not going to Chelsea just to be benchwarmers.  They are going because Chelsea are showing interest and, as such, they genuinely believe that they will be able to force their way into the starting eleven.  That they ever manage it is an entirely different matter, but no-one should be faulting a player for picking the, as much as it pains me to say it, better club (at the moment) in order to further their professional career.

At the moment, Chelsea appear to be on the slide.  They *only* finished second in the Premiership last season.  Worst comes to worst, they may slip another position during the course of this coming season.  Christ, life must be hard down south.  Newcastle, on the other hand, are an unknown quantity.  Having Big Sam here could be the solution to all of our problems.  Alternatively, everything could implode again.  Expecting a player of Ben Haim's quality (or others, before people start being pedantic)  to take a gamble on us is a big ask.  The people who are saying he could be ruining his career at Chelsea need to consider this: if he signed for us and Big Sam doesn't turn the club around like we all want him to - where would that leave him?  He would be known as another member of a cursed NUFC back four.

Like the rest of you, I *really* want to see us sign some class acts over the summer.  So much so it hurts.  However, if anything, players are more likely to come to us for 'the money' than due to their personal ambitions.  We are, at the moment, a mid-table club whose future is uncertain.  Hopefully, this time next year that will have changed.  In the meantime, we need Big Sam to sign some solid, dependable players, who can help consolidate our existing position and further it.  Our target for this coming season should be a UEFA cup spot and some evidence that a firm foundation is being built.  After that, and with a bit of Mr. Ashley's financial backing, then we can start being bitter about why a player who played for a team last season that finished light-years ahead of us is looking to sign for a better, rather than worse, club.

Apologies for the rant fellas.  I appreciate that a lot of you will take issue with what I've posted, but I think that we need to ground our ambitions and desire for a quick fix to our problems firmly in reality.  At least for the next season or two.  Give the big man time to work his magic and, whilst I cannot believe I am about to use this quote, like Mr. Costner once said, "If you build it, they will come".

What makes everyone think that because a player signs for Chelsea he will always be solely about the money?  Granted, the wages offered at Stamford Bridge were probably huge, but any club signing someone on a free transfer can afford the extra outlay on wages. 

As it stands, Chelsea were one of the best clubs in the country last year and any player with *immediate* ambitions in regards to winning silver wear would more than likely snap up the opportunity to play with one of the top teams in the Premiership.  Players like Sidwell and Haim are not going to Chelsea just to be benchwarmers.  They are going because Chelsea are showing interest and, as such, they genuinely believe that they will be able to force their way into the starting eleven.  That they ever manage it is an entirely different matter, but no-one should be faulting a player for picking the, as much as it pains me to say it, better club in order to further their professional career.

At the moment, Chelsea appear to be on the slide.  They *only* finished second in the Premiership last season.  Worst comes to worst, they may slip another position during the course of this coming season.  Newcastle, on the other hand, are an unknown quantity.  Having Big Sam here could be the solution to all of our problems.  Alternatively, everything could implode again.  Expecting a player of Ben Haim's quality to take a gamble on us is a big ask.  The people who are saying he could be ruining his career at Chelsea need to consider this: if he signed for us and Big Sam doesn't turn the club around like we all want him to - where would that leave him?  He would be known as another member of a cursed NUFC back four.

Like the rest of you, I *really* want to see us sign some class acts over the summer.  So much so it hurts.  However, if anything, players are more likely to come to us for 'the money' than due to their personal ambitions.  We are, at the moment, a mid-table club whose future is uncertain.  Hopefully, this time next year that will have changed.  In the meantime, we need Big Sam to sign some solid, dependable players, who can help consolidate our existing position and further it.  Our target for this coming seaon should be a UEFA cup spot and some evidence that a firm foundation is being built.  After that, and with a bit of Mr. Ashley's financial backing, then we can start being bitter about why a player who played for a team last season that finished light-years ahead of us is looking to sign for a better, rather than worse, club.

Apologies for the rant fellas.  I appreciate that a lot of you will take issue with what I've posted, but I think that we need to ground our ambitions and desire for a quick fix to our problems firmly in reality.  At least for the next season or two.  Give the big man time to work his magic and, whilst I cannot believe I am about to use this quote, like Mr. Costner once said, "If you build it, they will come".

Good post.

We look like bitter Spurs fans or the way Boro fans are going on about Viduka when our fans come out with stuff like this.

He's gone to Chelsea, good luck to him, let's move on.

Guest Triglett

Mate i just want to warn you, you've put a picture of Jermaine Jenas in your avatar.

Jermaine Jenas playing for England no less :angel:

As it stands, Chelsea were one of the best clubs in the country last year and any player with *immediate* ambitions in regards to winning silver wear would more than likely snap up the opportunity to play with one of the top teams in the Premiership.  Players like Sidwell and Haim are not going to Chelsea just to be benchwarmers.  They are going because Chelsea are showing interest and, as such, they genuinely believe that they will be able to force their way into the starting eleven.  That they ever manage it is an entirely different matter, but no-one should be faulting a player for picking the, as much as it pains me to say it, better club (at the moment) in order to further their professional career.

At the moment, Chelsea appear to be on the slide.  They *only* finished second in the Premiership last season.  Worst comes to worst, they may slip another position during the course of this coming season.  Christ, life must be hard down south.  Newcastle, on the other hand, are an unknown quantity.  Having Big Sam here could be the solution to all of our problems.  Alternatively, everything could implode again.  Expecting a player of Ben Haim's quality (or others, before people start being pedantic)  to take a gamble on us is a big ask.  The people who are saying he could be ruining his career at Chelsea need to consider this: if he signed for us and Big Sam doesn't turn the club around like we all want him to - where would that leave him?  He would be known as another member of a cursed NUFC back four.

Like the rest of you, I *really* want to see us sign some class acts over the summer.  So much so it hurts.  However, if anything, players are more likely to come to us for 'the money' than due to their personal ambitions.  We are, at the moment, a mid-table club whose future is uncertain.  Hopefully, this time next year that will have changed.  In the meantime, we need Big Sam to sign some solid, dependable players, who can help consolidate our existing position and further it.  Our target for this coming season should be a UEFA cup spot and some evidence that a firm foundation is being built.  After that, and with a bit of Mr. Ashley's financial backing, then we can start being bitter about why a player who played for a team last season that finished light-years ahead of us is looking to sign for a better, rather than worse, club.

I think most people see it like that, but are having a laugh about it tbh (most comments are tongue in cheek)

Like i said earlier in the thread, he's not worth £65k a week and that is the deciding factor in all this, we wern't ready to push towards that, and i'm glad we didn't, i'm glad SA has been responsible with our money.

Ben Haim won't get many chances at Chelsea, but will pick up the odd medal, Sidwell however will have a hard job getting into their reserve team ATM and is a complete sellout and has ruined his career.

Jermaine Jenas playing for England no less :angel:

There are so many scales of playing though.

I'm more thinking of walking about on some grass with an England top rather than playing.  :lol:

Who is the next target? Any ideas?

Is Ron Vlaar at the Euro U21's?

He is. But Van Marwijk is Feyenoords new coach so he wouldn't let him leave that easy. Not good enough anyway.

Who is the next target? Any ideas?

Is Ron Vlaar at the Euro U21's?

He is. But Van Marwijk is Feyenoords new coach so he wouldn't let him leave that easy. Not good enough anyway.

Look canny last time i saw him. Was for AZ IRRC.

He could be worth it but not for next seaon I think.

Anything else in the Dutch leagues worth a gander at?

I think we should do all our shopping this season in Germany (Especially for CB's) & Holland (possibly WB's certainly mids)

How many other players over the last few seasons have spoken to Mourinho ect and felt they would be involved in the first team sufficiently?  Only to end up a shadow of there former selves a few seasons later having played barely any Football...  Wether Ben Haim's carear goes the same way we'll have to wait and see, but if I had to guess I'd say it will..

He could be worth it but not for next seaon I think.

Anything else in the Dutch leagues worth a gander at?

I think we should do all our shopping this season in Germany (Especially for CB's) & Holland (possibly WB's certainly mids)

For defence? No, not really. Ryan Donk from AZ is a talented CB but he's only 21 years old and since AZ is rising I don't think we could sign him.

In Holland we don't have many quality WB's. If a team has them, they are shit. Emanuelson is good but he's more like a left winger.

But talking about Holland, Boulahrouz might be off and he would be good, can play as right back aswell.

I could cut and paste exactly what I wrote when Sidwell chose Chelsea. There are several very good reasons for signing for Chelsea. I don't blame him for choosing them but if he thinks he'll play in more than half of the games, he's deluded.

He'd have improved us but he's chosen them. Fair enough and lets find someone else.  :coolsmiley:

There's a nice bench at Chelsea..Go warm it ya greedy Israelie c***!

Essien probably played half a season at centreback for Chelsea.

We should move for Bouhlarouz to meet our annual Chelsea-reject quota, who is never a right back anyway.