Chelsea sign Ben Haim on 4 year deal - SSN

Dave

People talk about not taking the likes of Hyppia, as they are Liverpool rejects.

Mike Ashley claims he wants us to be a top 3 team again, within a few years?

How about as a statement of intent, we go in to one of the top 4 clubs, and bid for one of their top defenders?

The moves may not come to anything, but it may show that we want to be taken seriously, and are prepared to try and take players from the teams we want to see as our rivals again.

What about Gallas at Arsenal, or even something as bold as Carvalho at Chelsea, if they do get Ben Haim to go with Alex and John Terry?

If Mike Ashley honestly intends us to be challenging those clubs again, we need to be seen as bold enough to try and raid them for players as well... and not just their 'cast-offs'.

Anyone agree, or am I living in cloud cuckoo land????  :crazy2:

Our (soon to be) new regime, needs to start to show what they are made of.

Guest Toon83

If Ben-Haim goes to Chelsea it will be for the money and nothing else, Chelsea are getting Alex back from PSV, so that leaves them with Terry, Carvalho, Alex, Boulahrouz (sp) and now Ben Haim.

Surely he has to realise (like Sidwell) that he wont get a game, well maybe a handful a season, but if he comes to Newcastle under Allardyce coupled with our need for defenders he will be first choice and play every game.

If he does go to Chelsea this is another case of a player playing for nothing but money.  :rant:

Guest johnson293

If Ben-Haim goes to Chelsea it will be for the money and nothing else, Chelsea are getting Alex back from PSV, so that leaves them with Terry, Carvalho, Alex, Boulahrouz (sp) and now Ben Haim.

Surely he has to realise (like Sidwell) that he wont get a game, well maybe a handful a season, but if he comes to Newcastle under Allardyce coupled with our need for defenders he will be first choice and play every game.

If he does go to Chelsea this is another case of a player playing for nothing but money.  :rant:

Arguably, he will have a better chance of winning something quicker, if he goes there.

However, as I said ealrier, surely there isn't as much satisfaction in getting a medal as a substitute or squad member, as there is if you actually played a major part in helping the team achieve that prize?

If I was a player, I'm sure I would prefer to have one or two medals knowing that I actually played a big part in helping the team win, rather than a cabinet full of medals where I was simply part of the squad?

But, how many of todays footballers actually think like that?

Guest Toon83

I can see us going after Curtis Davies if this deal does not happen with Ben Haim, but are we willing to pay the £10m quoted?

I would go as far as £6-7m, bare in mind he is a championship player, maybe we could go £10m if they throw in Koumas aswell

Soon as he goes to Chelsea everyone on here will start saying how they're not bothered and he's s**** anyways.

If we start now in anticipation, we can have an ounce more credability perhaps.

He's crap.  A liability, hope we don't get him.

never wanted him in the first place

yah boo sucks

Guest elbee909

So Ben Haim chose Chelsea.

He is NO were near as good as Terry and Carvalho and then the possible arrival of Alex.

When did footballers stop caring about playing football??

When they listened to poor agents too much, who value their % commission over their client's job satisfaction.

Bhoularouz is leaving this summer.

Guest johnson293

So Ben Haim chose Chelsea.

He is NO were near as good as Terry and Carvalho and then the possible arrival of Alex.

When did footballers stop caring about playing football??

From a Guardian article quoted on NUFC.com....

Although Ben Haim's former manager at Bolton, Sam Allardyce, is planning a last-ditch effort to tempt him to Newcastle United, sources close to the player said yesterday that he had made up his mind. "Tal will sign at Chelsea, not because of the money but because of footballing reasons," one source said. "He wants to play in the Champions League. He is not afraid of competition and believes he can gain a place with the first team."

Sorry, but unless there are injuries to Terry and/or Carvalho, I just dont see him starting Champions League matches for Chelsea.