Chelsea sign Ben Haim on 4 year deal - SSN

Dave

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/news/display.var.1463857.0.magpies_close_in_on_targets.php

Magpies close in on targets

SAM ALLARDYCE took a break from managerial duties over the weekend but has been informed that Newcastle United are closing in on two of their top defensive targets.

There are hopes on Tyneside that deals could be completed for centre-backs Tal Ben Haim and David Rozehnal by the end of the week.

Ben Haim, the Israeli international who is out of contract at Bolton, is mulling over his options and Newcastle have been encouraged by the indications coming from him.

After Chelsea pulled out of the race to sign him, the Magpies are confident of sealing the deal and it has emerged Paris St Germain are also expecting to see their man move to St James' Park.

Rozehnal, the Czech Republic defender, has been courted by Allardyce for a number of months and sources in the French capital claim PSG have accepted he will be moving on in a deal worth between £2-3m.

Borussia Dortmund had also been hoping to secure the services of a player named in the French League's team of the season, but Rozehnal is keen to test himself in the Premiership.

"To target some defenders is obviously key," Allardyce said recently. "We need to strengthen the back four for the start of the new season."

The Newcastle boss is also expected to cast an eye over the European Under 21 Championships in Holland, where he will monitor the performances of another target, Leighton Baines.

Nolberto Solano, meanwhile, could be heading for another club-versus-country row after the midfielder took a step nearer to ending a two-year exile from international football.

After making a plea to national team coach Julio Cesar Uribe last week, Solano looks destined to be handed the chance to return to the Peru squad after next month's Copa America.

But Allardyce will be all too aware of the extensive travelling involved in commuting to South America.

Uribe, though, is unconcerned. "I'm going to talk with him next week," he said. "It is the right moment to do it and give him some peace.

"Solano's determination to be in the squad is remarkable. I'm going to call him for the 2010 World Cup qualifiers, as I've already decided the 22-man list for the Copa America."

Guest super_shay1

Obviously I deena if any of you have already seen it but this was on nufc.com about Ben Haim :

From the Sunday Mirror:

Tal Ben Haim has signed up spoon-bending psychic Uri Geller to decide whether he joins Newcastle or Chelsea.

The out-of-contract Bolton centre-back, who will get married in Israel next weekend, is a target for United's new boss Sam Allardyce - but still wanted by Blues boss Jose Mourinho, who almost signed him in January.

Ben Haim, 25, is torn between the two - so has called in close pal Geller, who gives him positive thinking classes, to make up his mind.

Berkshire-based Geller, 60, said: "I've spoken to Tal and yes, we did talk about moving - although what we discussed is confidential.

"There are rumours about Newcastle and Chelsea and Tal is now making his final decision at his discretion.

"He is an open-minded person and ready for a new challenge and new situation. He has deep-seated determination and motivation and I've no doubt that, if he goes to Chelsea, he'll be as good as the players there."

Of course this isn't the first time that Mr Geller has dabbled in Newcastle-related matters, with the Israeli-born cutlery abuser claiming credit for our 3-1 win at Arsenal in December 2001.

Guest super_shay1

Also found this : ( from Anal tho )

Sam Allardyce has admitted that he has turned his attention to bringing some "top quality defenders" to Newcastle United.

But the word from Israel today was that United will have to improve their offer to Bolton central defender Ben Haim if they are going to pip Chelsea for his signature.

Jose Mourinho has already informed Ben Haim's man, top agent Pini Zahavi, that he is willing to pay the Israeli defender £60,000 a week in his bid to get him to Stamford Bridge.

Now the ball is very much in United's court if Ben Haim is going to be one of the three defenders - two central defenders and a left-back - which Allardyce so desperately needs.

After a weekend in which United were linked with some weird and not so wonderful strikers and midfielders, Allardyce told me today: "We are happy that we have got Mark Viduka in the bag and Joey Barton almost tied up.

"Now the next venture is to create a defensive strategy by bringing in some quality defenders to blend with the attacking flair we already have.

"We want top defenders to help us acquire the right amount of clean sheets and obviously hope the scorers will do the business which will help us win football matches and put three points on the board on a regular basis."

Ben Haim is getting married in Tel Aviv this weekend and would love his football future decided before then.

And he knows that he will walk straight into the United defence while he would probably only be cover for John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho in West London.

United confirmed to me today that they have made an offer to Ben Haim, but I believe it falls short of what Chelsea have offered.

Bolton are also keen to have the 25-year-old defender back at the Reebok Stadium but they cannot get anywhere near to matching what Chelsea have already offered and what I suspect the player hopes United will match.

But United are keeping their options open, and it looks as though you can perm any two from the quartet of Ben Haim, PSG's David Rozehnal, Liverpool's Sami Hyypia and Marseille skipper Habib Beye as far as their central defensive signings are concerned.

All four are aware of United's interest and it may be significant that Hyypia turned down a £30,000-a week two-year contract at Fulham over the weekend.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=united-face-fight-for-ben&method=full&objectid=19279060&siteid=50081-name_page.html

Anyway, does anyone know anything about Habib Beye then?

Guest exilim

Let's pip arsenal for Bakari Sagna, he looks a little like bramble with long hair.

Right Back, there you go.

Considering its a free transfer I'd have no problem at all offering a player like Ben Haim £65,000 plus, £70,000 even.

No way. Give someone like Ben Haim £70k, and when we do start going for the top stars, we'll be looking at Owen-style wages.

You clearly have no idea where football wages are going. In the next few years for a top player your going to be looking atleast 100k+ no matter what the situation. Predictions are that withing the next 2 years we'll see the first 200k-a-week player.

Wages are gonna skyrocket and simple fact is we have to pay up or lose out. We had to pay Barton 70k and even then West Ham offered 10k more. 

Hasn't Berbatov recently signed a contract extension doubling his wages to a MASSIVE £42,000 a week?

Guest SwissMagpie

According to israeli press - Ben Haim Chose Newcastle and will sign there before his wedding on Sunday!

Well i dont know hebrew but i have israeli guy that i met in South Ameirca trip and he know that im NUFC player and he send me an E mail saying that Ben Haim Said that he will sign in Newcastle soon,hopes to end it before his wedding on Sunday.Link:

http://www.sport5.co.il/articles.aspx?FolderID=252&docID=21466&lang=he

well dont know what is written there but you can press on the picture of him to play the video

According to israeli press - Ben Haim Chose Newcastle and will sign there before his wedding on Sunday!

Well i dont know hebrew but i have israeli guy that i met in South Ameirca trip and he know that im NUFC player and he send me an E mail saying that Ben Haim Said that he will sign in Newcastle soon,hopes to end it before his wedding on Sunday.Link:

well dont know what is written there but you can press on the picture of him to play the video

I hope its true,,, really want something to happen here now...

Which one are you?  :D

marc hottiger

marc hottiger

:lol: He's not really Marc Hottiger is he? Don't wind me up here  :lol:

They said the other day that Chelsea offered him 60 000 .

If we pay Barton 70 000, we should definately pay the same to Ben Haim

I don't think Barton is on £70,000 a week though.

marc hottiger

course it is,why else would a swiss have an affinity for nufc ?

marc hottiger

course it is,why else would a swiss have an affinity for nufc ?

I've never really thought about it tbh. I've always thought we might have players and ex players who log into here, but its never crossed my mind that any of them post on here.