Chelsea sign Ben Haim on 4 year deal - SSN

Dave

Guest exilim

Fact that we will never match them for they are in the champions league and we are a fringe club now. I wish we are not but we are lol. Even with the first team football crap with us, i would choose to go chelsea and try fight my place with carvalho. Well, chelsea = trophies anyways.

Are Chelsea really in for him?

Are they not getting Alex for a bin lid anyway?

Its not like they'd need both, Ben Haim would have to accept he'd be 4th choice, possibly 5th, he's be crazy to choose the money over that.

We should be offering him £40kpw, and if that isn't good enough we should certainly look elsewhere, but i hope we do get him and SA is the deciding factor.

Considering its a free transfer I'd have no problem at all offering a player like Ben Haim £65,000 plus, £70,000 even.

That's a dangerous precedent to set though imo.  :undecided:

Considering its a free transfer I'd have no problem at all offering a player like Ben Haim £65,000 plus, £70,000 even.

baring in mind bramble and boumsong both came with heft price tags and picked up a decent wage offering a free signing that knows SA so well and seems to be better than anything we have offering him 60-65pw seems fair, but we have to be careful not to clear out players and then wack the wage bill back up on little to no signings we cant buy players all on 60.000+ pw as the wage bill would be extreme

Are Chelsea really in for him?

Are they not getting Alex for a bin lid anyway?

Its not like they'd need both, Ben Haim would have to accept he'd be 4th choice, possibly 5th, he's be crazy to choose the money over that.

We should be offering him £40kpw, and if that isn't good enough we should certainly look elsewhere, but i hope we do get him and SA is the deciding factor.

Chelsea will be competing on 4 fronts next season. Haim might reckon he'll play more than enough games to make a fatter pay cheque for a top side quite an attractive option.

No way. Give someone like Ben Haim £70k, and when we do start going for the top stars, we'll be looking at Owen-style wages.

No way. Give someone like Ben Haim £70k, and when we do start going for the top stars, we'll be looking at Owen-style wages.

if they are top stars we'll be looking at owen style wages anyway

I hope we never have to pay a player £100,000 a week or over again once we get rid of s*** face. We should forget about Hollywood signings because they never work out for us. If Ben Haim has any desire to play football then he will come here rather than Chelsea.

I hope we never have to pay a player £100,000 a week or over again once we get rid of s*** face. We should forget about Hollywood signings because they never work out for us. If Ben Haim has any desire to play football then he will come here rather than Chelsea.

We will never ever win a thing if we don't get top players in eventually.

You clearly have no idea where football wages are going. In the next few years for a top player your going to be looking atleast 100k+ no matter what the situation. Predictions are that withing the next 2 years we'll see the first 200k-a-week player.

Wages are gonna skyrocket and simple fact is we have to pay up or lose out. We had to pay Barton 70k and even then West Ham offered 10k more. 

We will never ever win a thing if we don't get top players in eventually.

I'd like to think we could bring players in who could become top players here though, rather than going down the Chelsea route.

You clearly have no idea where football wages are going. In the next few years for a top player your going to be looking atleast 100k+ no matter what the situation. Predictions are that withing the next 2 years we'll see the first 200k-a-week player.

Wages are gonna skyrocket and simple fact is we have to pay up or lose out. We had to pay Barton 70k and even then West Ham offered 10k more. 

The same people reckoned due to the ITV digital collapse over half of league football clubs would go out of business and cease trading, about 10 did IIRC.

Wages are on the up, but their forecasts are just that. IMPO we'll be waiting a lot longer for a £200kpw footballer to hit the shores, no one here is worth it, and i cant see anyone in Europe being worth it either.

Messi has the potential, but will Chelsea spend over £100m to capture him, or anyone else worth £200kpw?

To buy a player like him (quality, young and proven in the Premiership) would normally cost at least £5 million and even £45,000 a week for three years would then take the total outlay to £11.5 million.  But you think we should pass up on the player for a total outlay of £10 million?...  The simple fact is you have to pay players what they're worth in the market and that changes depending on the transfer fee.  If another player coming in to the club can't understand that then tell him to take a hike..  Or we could simply pay Ben Haim £50,000 a week and make up the difference in signing on fee's and or bonuses (loyalty bonus ect).

My main point was that IMO he's worth spending that kind of money on.

Guest exilim

If you are offering Barton 70k per week, why offer ben haim 40k? Remember owen is on 100+k wage which is absolutely crazy as well.

I think that the difference in wages will unsettle the players in the club. BenHaim does have the quality but he's not even half of owen's wage.

If you are offering Barton 70k per week, why offer ben haim 40k? Remember owen is on 100+k wage which is absolutely crazy as well.

I think that the difference in wages will unsettle the players in the club. BenHaim does have the quality but he's not even half of owen's wage.

Also don't forget that Barton is also costing us £5.5 million for the transfer fee, and Owen cost £17 million!  That's £15.5 million total for Barton (if the rumoured wage is correct, which I hope it isn't since he's not close to being worth that IMO) and £31.4 million total for Owen (assuming 3 year contracts).  Ben Haim for a total outlay of £10 million is a massive bargain in comparison IMO.

To buy a player like him (quality, young and proven in the Premiership) would normally cost at least £5 million and even £45,000 a week for three years would then take the total outlay to £11.5 million.  But you think we should pass up on the player for a total outlay of £10 million?...  The simple fact is you have to pay players what they're worth in the market and that changes depending on the transfer fee.  If another player coming in to the club can't understand that then tell him to take a hike..  Or we could simply pay Ben Haim £50,000 a week and make up the difference in signing on fee's and or bonuses (loyalty bonus ect).

My main point was that IMO he's worth spending that kind of money on.

This is the dilemma in which any ambitious football club finds itself in today - if you are to obtain the best players, you either have to pay over the odds to get them(including wages),or they will go to one of tne so-called Top 4 - we are now paying the price for 3 years of under-achievement and unporfessionalism.

No top player will want to choose us over the top 4 unless they DEFINITELY need first-team football or we

pay them more than the Top 4 would - in Chelsea's case, they can out-bid anyone if they want the player.

They probably even have the resources to sign a player simply to stop any other club getting him..

As I said on another thread, Allardyce and Ashley face a really tough job to get this club to where it was in 2002 - the Top 4 will not surrender their little cartel easily, and that is why Ashley's emphasis on Academies is important as only players with a real attachement to the club will give their all in future....

Unfortunately, its a long-term project, and Sam has to produce results like now......