Chelsea sign Ben Haim on 4 year deal - SSN

Dave

Our season now hinges on whoever Allardyce signs for the full-back positions. Sign two quality ones there, and I see no reason why we shouldn't be looking at 5th next season. Add a 10-12 goal a season midfielder to that as well, and why not look at capitalising on Arsenal's uncertainty?

surely signing a whole new defense could backfire as none of them will have that much experience playing together?

That's why getting them in early and having a full pre-season (with no Intershitto rubbish to worry about) is important.

surely signing a whole new defense could backfire as none of them will have that much experience playing together?

I think that's a myth.  Chelsea bought a new team and won the league the next year.  With all the training they do and with good coaching there is no reason why 3 or 4 new defenders need a full season to learn to play as a unit, especially when several are likely to have Premiership experience.

If anything, it seems better to take a chance on something new than to continue with established losers like Carr & Babayaro for the sake of continuity. 

Taylor...Ben Haim...Rosehnal...Baines

???

Taylor ain't going to be a first choice left back ever. Fact. He's a centre half who may fill in right back. Could see him doing a job in mid-field if needed..

Guest Ridzuan

Nice to see that the deals are happening quick and fast.I hope that Barton's deal will be completed soon so we can move on to other players.I believe Ben Haim will also be coming here.I think Big Sam is going in the right direction in terms of the transfer window.I still believe that his top priority now is to find quality defenders.

Taylor...Ben Haim...Rosehnal...Baines

???

Taylor ain't going to be a first choice left back ever. Fact. He's a centre half who may fill in right back. Could see him doing a job in mid-field if needed..

Well considering Baines is a left back I think it's safe to assume that Taylor is at right back on the back four above. Fact.

I know people won't agree, but so far we've signed players a club like Newcastle should have been signing all along. What we now need, to show the rest of the country we mean business, is a real big name...a trophy signing so to speak. Go for someone like Miguel for right-back.

Guest TheOrder

I know people won't agree, but so far we've signed players a club like Newcastle should have been signing all along. What we now need, to show the rest of the country we mean business, is a real big name...a trophy signing so to speak. Go for someone like Miguel for right-back.

Baines would make my day... Miguel would be more that welcome.

I know alot about Miguel, anyone who knows me outside of N-O know that I follow Valencia, as a hobby.

Miguel is overrated.

Our problem at the moment is that we might have money available but without European football we'll struggle to attract a high calibre of footballer (I know we signed Owen before someone points it out) For that reason I'd consider a cheap, stop gap signing and if we qualify for Europe next season then to push for the better players then.

Guest TheOrder

TRABELSI

I hear you. I wanted him here when Bobby was at the helm. Would love a fit Trabelsi here.

Trabelsi looked good early on for city. I didnt see much of him after xmas though. Now all the journalists are calling him a flop, hence his release.

Was he really that bad?

Dont think he offers that much more than Solano really though.

Miguel on the other hand is being tracked by Spuds and someone else over here, cant remember who mind. Would be a decent punt.

If we are talking big money signings we should be bidding for Micah Richards, although it would more than likely go the same way the Rooney Fiasco did.

I'd much rather we get a pair of solid full-backs in, than go all out for someone like Miguel/Richards. Baines has been linked for a while and is obviously a good option. I would much rather we had 2 competent players in at both full-back positions though, as I have no confidence in Babayaro and Carr. Maybe a promising young talent, or someone who can cover a couple of positions (i.e. a Brown/Carragher type). As for RB, I think Nobby is competent back-up, so we just need one there. But to be honest, I can't think of too many obvious candidates. I'd steer clear of Trabelsi tbh.

I can see Sam making one or two big signings before the summer is out, I think that's the least that Ashley will expect (If his plans are as big as we're told). But I get the feeling that they'll be to replace another outgoing player, maybe one or two of Owen/Martins/Dyer/N'Zogbia/Emre. Personally I'd love to see Dyer go and be replaced by Sneijder...

i'd like to see big sam buying a right or left winger, a top drawer player like robben for instance, even tho he is going to madrid. or if he intends to play 4-3-3 then maybe spend big on a midfielder, Diego perhaps, or someone like De Rossi, tho he is a bit similar to Barton (in more ways than one).

agree with Op Nut tho, the kind of players he is buying now should've been at the club last season, they're the essential players we've been missing for ages. after that we have to look for "special" players and use our "new found wealth" to good use, pull off the kind of deal that Robson did when he brought Bellamy and Robert, or when Spurs signed Berbatov.

Guest nufc_geordie

I wouldn't be too disappointed with Wes Brown to be honest. Then we could start the season:

--------------------------------Given-------------------------------------

Taylor----------Ben-Haim----------Brown---------------Baines

Any injuries/Suspension in the centre and Taylor/Rozenthal will be in, would be very good cover at the back if we could wrap up Baines, Ben Haim, Brown and Rozenhal.

anyone do me a favour and cut&paste the independent article?

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2631118.ece

Shepherd supports Ashley to launch 'new Magpies era'

By Andy Hunter

Published: 08 June 2007

The billionaire retailer Mike Ashley took a significant step towards absolute control of Newcastle United yesterday when he bought out Freddy Shepherd and the chairman declared him the man to launch "a vibrant new era" on Tyneside.

St James Holdings Limited, the company created by Ashley to acquire Newcastle shares, announced to the Stock Exchange that it had agreed to pay just over £37m for the Shepherd family's 28.06 per cent stake in the club at 101p a share. That investment gives the 25th-richest man in Britain almost 70 per cent of the company, following the 41.6 per cent holding he purchased for £55m from Sir John Hall a fortnight ago.

Ashley, who made his fortune with the Sports Direct International retail chain, will assume control at St James' Park once he passes the 75 per cent threshold and can complete his ambitions for a £134.4m takeover, and to delist the club back into private ownership when he has acquired 90 per cent. Both targets now appear within Ashley's grasp, after Shepherd not only relinquished a 16-year financial interest in Newcastle but gave his support to the takeover and urged remaining shareholders to follow suit.

The colourful and controversial chairman, currently recovering from pneumonia and a collapsed lung, initially opposed Ashley's bid for control but has reconsidered following a series of face-to-face meetings with the businessman.

"As chairman of Newcastle United, I have always tried to act in the very best interests of this great football club, and stressed that should the right person emerge, then I would support them fully," Shepherd said. "I believe Mike Ashley and SJHL, along with new manager Sam Allardyce, can deliver a vibrant new era at Newcastle United and I sincerely hope that together we can all enjoy successful times."

Shepherd's change of heart came after Ashley increased his offer from 100p a share and provided assurances he would be retained as a salaried chairman, although that position will be reviewed once the sports tycoon has, as is now anticipated, gained complete control of Newcastle.

There is an unmistakable and rapid sense of change on Tyneside that applies not only to Ashley's takeover attempt. In his first week at the helm Allardyce has signed Mark Viduka on a free transfer from Middlesbrough, agreed a deal in principle to sign Joey Barton from Manchester City and last night it was confirmed that Bolton defender Tal Ben Haim should complete his move to St James' Park on Monday.

"He is a free agent and he is available," Allardyce said of his former employee. "He has got three or four years of experience in the Premiership."

Barton will finalise a £5.5m transfer once he has agreed the terms of his departure from Manchester City while the Newcastle manager met Viduka in London yesterday to secure the Australian international on a two-year contract, with the option of a third.