Newcastle win race to sign Alan Smith - Mirror gossip

Guest sicko2ndbest

Here's their league game results. All in the Premier, Smith with Leeds and Man Utd, Ameobi with us

Shola 93 starts, 69 sub, 28 goals

Smith 191 starts, 42 sub, 45 goals

I think Ameobi is edging that one, although you have Smith spending some of his time in midfield at Man Utd, but then you also have Shola spending some of his time in bloody awful sides.

Didnt' Smith also play left wing for Leeds in their relegation season?

He played on the right wing against us the season before they got relegated when Venables was in charge. Then some mugs took Fowler and Kewell off them and it was him and Viduka leading them all the way to the chumpionship the season after.

Btw, Alan Smith is absolutely fucking abysmal. Wouldn't have him for nowt. Nothing to do with him being a rag either...he was absolutely shocking for Leeds too. Speaks volumes that so many different managers have tried to convert him....they like his huff and puff for some reason...but he has no real footballing ability whatsoever. I mean, watching him against Brazil the other week. I was genuinely embarrased that this muppet was representing my country. Absolutely fucking abysmal. :huff:

Following his injury, I've got my doubts about the guy, but he's a lot better than you're saying here. He can pass the ball well, he's a good reader of the game, and quite creative. He's not just a thug.

A problem that I saw when he was a striker against both Southend and Brazil last season was that the opposing centre backs were either getting to the ball before him or going right through him. I think he now needs that bit of extra time and space that you can get as a midfield anchor man. Not all strikers have the stamina and work rate to play in that position, so that's the question mark for me. 

I suppose I also worry about that spiteful streak in him. Being hard is one thing, but he can actually get a bit mean. If he loses the ball - even when legitimately - you often see him chase after his opponent to chop him down. He's got to cut that out.

Is the fact that you seemingly weren't impressed with him when he played against Southend setting off alarm bells? That was probably right at the start of his comeback from injury but still, a player who would apparently cost £3.5m should show something against the worst team in the championship? ???

And this midfielder talk...he played in central midfield for a couple of months a couple of years ago, and was embarrasingly poor apart from one game, I think against Arsenal or Chelsea, where he won a few brownie points cos they were getting absolutely pissed on and he managed to throw himself into million and one tackles. But he's been a forward thruout his career and therefore has absolutely no knowledge of the position - I think that counts for a lot in midfield (See Makelele, C). Smith may be able to run round a bit and pass the ball 10 yards, but he's no a midfielder in my book.  :nope:

Beyond me why anyone would want to pay cash money for a technichally woeful forward who played in midfield once upon a time. Just get a proper midfielder. Or if you're looking at the other way, get a forward who can recieve a pass without the ball bouncing 6 feet off his first touch.

Guest kingdawson

Here's their league game results. All in the Premier, Smith with Leeds and Man Utd, Ameobi with us

Shola 93 starts, 69 sub, 28 goals

Smith 191 starts, 42 sub, 45 goals

I think Ameobi is edging that one, although you have Smith spending some of his time in midfield at Man Utd, but then you also have Shola spending some of his time in bloody awful sides.

Didnt' Smith also play left wing for Leeds in their relegation season?

He played on the right wing against us the season before they got relegated when Venables was in charge. Then some mugs took Fowler and Kewell off them and it was him and Viduka leading them all the way to the chumpionship the season after.

Btw, Alan Smith is absolutely f****** abysmal. Wouldn't have him for nowt. Nothing to do with him being a rag either...he was absolutely shocking for Leeds too. Speaks volumes that so many different managers have tried to convert him....they like his huff and puff for some reason...but he has no real footballing ability whatsoever. I mean, watching him against Brazil the other week. I was genuinely embarrased that this muppet was representing my country. Absolutely f****** abysmal. :huff:

Agreed. Smith is rubbish at absolutly everything except the one thing the media in this country seem to cream themselves over which is 'commitment'. As ive said many times before, Alan smith would never have made it as a proffesional footballer in any other top European country.

Guest kingdawson

goal.com also says this story O.O

and that Bent is set to sign for Spurs for 16million :uglystupid2:

Not to bad a deal imo.

Could it be you have a jaundiced eye for anyone that plays for the other half of Manchester?

No. Scholes, Ferdinand, and Ronaldo are all absolutely fucking top drawer.

I have a jaundiced eye for woeful footballers who forge a career on effort.

Could it be you have a jaundiced eye for anyone that plays for the other half of Manchester?

No. Scholes, Ferdinand, and Ronaldo are all absolutely f****** top drawer.

I have a jaundiced eye for woeful footballers who forge a career on effort.

Bigger problem is with talented players who couldn't be bothered.

If we were looking for a striker, Smith wouldn't be particularly high on the list. If we were looking for a midfielder, he wouldn't even be on the list.

Ferguson letting him go for just £3.5m tells it's own story imo...

Guest kingdawson

Smith is rubbish and Bent for 16m is a decent deal.

How would it have been if Smith was going to Spurs and Bent to Newcastle?

Bent is rubbish and Smith is good value?

Well considering that i have mentioned how awful i think Smith is as a player before you lot were even linked and how gutted i was that Bent was joining West Ham when it appeared the deal was close to completion, i somehow doubt im being biased.

If Smith ever joined Spurs i would be absolutly gutted and you can quote me on this.

Guest Geordiesned

goal.com also says this story O.O

and that Bent is set to sign for Spurs for 16million :uglystupid2:

Not to bad a deal imo.

Well if you call paying more than twice the value of a player a good deal then I suppose it is.

Is the fact that you seemingly weren't impressed with him when he played against Southend setting off alarm bells? That was probably right at the start of his comeback from injury but still, a player who would apparently cost £3.5m should show something against the worst team in the championship? ???

What did you think of his performance against Roma?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

He's fucking sick on Pro Evo, gets world class in a few years, you know what they say, every cloud

If we were looking for a striker, Smith wouldn't be particularly high on the list. If we were looking for a midfielder, he wouldn't even be on the list.

What did they pay for him again?  It was double digits, right?  12 mil?

Around £7m i believe

£7 millionish.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

i think we have to assess him on how sam is going to play, if heis playing 4-4-2. this is a bad buy, but if its 4-3-3, i think its a solid move, he gives us options with his work rate and the fact that he can finish despite what people say. viduka or martins leading the line, with smith luque milner duff zoggy in the wings, to me, is good.

i think we have to assess him on how sam is going to play, if heis playing 4-4-2. this is a bad buy, but if its 4-3-3, i think its a solid move, he gives us options with his work rate and the fact that he can finish despite what people say. viduka or martins leading the line, with smith luque milner duff zoggy in the wings, to me, is good.

Agreed