Edmilson agrees move to NUFC. Or not? - SSN

magorific

Big gamble. I guess this is being seen as a January signing. I just hope Sam knows what he's doing because this is apparently his third knee operation in as many years!

On Edmilson, he's a good player, he was once very good, but I think he's a bit overrated now and his best days are gone (that doesn't mean "past it" before anyone misquotes me). I see him as one of those players who's still rated so highly because he's in and out of a world class team. There's no doubt he's better than what we've got and if it wasn't for this injury I'd say sign him up immediately. Sam has shown he's no mug when buying these types of players and Edmilson is a lot younger than the likes of Hierro and Campo when he bought them.

The reservations I have about Edmilson are that he's slowly on the decline in my view, he's often the first Barca player to be subbed off for a rest and this knee injury could take a lot out of him. It's quite a big ask to expect a player of 31 to recover from a major knee operation, switch teams and lead a defence in a league he's never played in before. I'm also not all that sure he will adapt to the English game. But these are areas where Sam knows what he's doing, fitness and adapting foreigners to the Premier League, so maybe he fancies the challenge once again. If he can pull it off we're onto a winner because although I don't see Edmilson as world class he's a good defender with bags of experience at the top level with Barcelona and Brazil, and someone Taylor could learn a great deal from.

Still think it's Motta.

Until I see Edmilson being wheeled throught he door at St. James on a wheelchair I'm not buying it.

It's gotta be Motta in my eyes. Maybe even both along with Eidur.

:lol:

You think these sources have the completely wrong player? :lol:

I'm hanging on for dear life here buddy!

Out of interest when does Saviola's deal with Barca run out? Is it end of June as well? I know Sam tried to get him on loan at Bolton last season and so he rates him.

If one of our littl'uns is leaving he may well be an option too. Gudjohnsen and Saviola would be a tidy bit of business.

[/quote

I'm with you K - hope you're right

Sport, one of the main two Barcelona-based sports journals in Spain, have it on their site now.

Says what we already know, that we've flown out to Barcelona to assess his condition and sound out the player. No mention of terms being agreed but it confirms he's out for 5 to 6 months.

Guest teepee

it was him with the overhead kick - nice detail, but seriously poor keeping too!

as for edmilson, he is a good footballer from what i've seen, but with his age and injuries i am not jumping up and down at this prospect.

secondly, i fear that he may get some problems stepping up to the pace of the epl.

but again, good player - and i'd welcome him, though not as any sort of saviour...

Guest SwissMagpie

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=420042&idseccio_PK=803&h=

Emissaries of the Newcastle could move in the next hours to Barcelona to know their intentions and their physical state in case its incorporation for the next season is possible. The player was taken part the week last of an injury in the knee and will remain between five and six months of loss. In spite of it, in Newcastle they think that the Brazilian can be a very valuable element when recovers and will drill the predisposition of the player to leave.

Guest nufc 4 life

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/article2004706.ece

Injured Barcelona defender Edmilson has indicated he is interested in a move to Newcastle United. A delegation from Newcastle including manager Sam Allardyce, chairman Freddy Shepherd's son Kenneth and European scout Paul Montgomery flew to Catalonia yesterday afternoon after Barcelona president Joan Laporte gave them permission to talk to the player.

The 30-year-old Brazilian World Cup winner, who can also play a midfield holding role, is currently sidelined after knee surgery and is likely to be out for between four and six months. However, Allardyce is still keen on the player and the Magpies believe he could play in October or November. Edmilson has a year left on his existing contract but Newcastle are confident they can land him for a nominal fee.

The club have inquired too, about striker Eidur Gudjohnsen's situation with Thierry Henry's arrival from Arsenal sparking fresh speculation his days at the Nou Camp could be numbered.

The Iceland international, who has also been linked with derby rivals Sunderland and Manchester United this summer, worked briefly under Allardyce at Bolton Wanderers.

Related Links

Allardyce hands are tied over Owen contract

Allardyce hopes Martins will stay on Tyneside

Newcastle currently have five senior forwards on the books - Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins, Mark Viduka, Shola Ameobi and Andy Carroll - but uncertainty over Owen and Martins, who both have get-out clauses in their contracts, has left the manager uncertain about their plans.

I am now becoming a bit concerned that it's another free though.

Sam certainly is using this money (if its there) sparingly atm...

All the signs are that the budget has been seriously exaggerated and I think a lot of people are getting their hopes up. I think Ashley will make quite a bit available and money isn't a problem, but Edmilson's the 4th free transfer (nominal fee apparently) we've targetted, 5th if you include Sidwell. People seem to be expecting a massive squad with established backup everywhere, yet the signs look very different. It's all well and good telling ourselves we're getting cheap squad players, but look at them. Viduka, Barton, Edmilson, Geremi - these are not squad players!

Guest nufc 4 life

i want to know who paul montgomery is and how he is linked with us, is this the guy Roeder brought in?

Guest DavB93

All the signs are that the budget has been seriously exaggerated and I think a lot of people are getting their hopes up. I think Ashley will make quite a bit available and money isn't a problem, but Edmilson's the 4th free transfer (nominal fee apparently) we've targetted, 5th if you include Sidwell. People seem to be expecting a massive squad with established backup everywhere, yet the signs look very different. It's all well and good telling ourselves we're getting cheap squad players, but look at them. Viduka, Barton, Edmilson, Geremi - these are not squad players!

Thought Ashley said he wouldn't release funds until the club was de-listed. Saying that I'd prefer signings like Viduka, Barton, Edmilson, Geremi  for not much money than Luque (9.5) Marcelino (6.5) and so on.

Thought Ashley said he wouldn't release funds until the club was de-listed. Saying that I'd prefer signings like Viduka, Barton, Edmilson, Geremi  for not much money than Luque (9.5) Marcelino (6.5) and so on.

Aye, it'd be great if we gather a squad for next to nowt before Ashleys money comes in to play, then we can spend on some high-profile players.

Guest elbee909

I'm not worried in the slightest, it's just taking calculated risks on certain players, much like Bolton did under Sam.  I'm sure the contract he's offered will reflect this.  Bloody hell, people worried that we're not wasting money for a change.

Free first team players!

Even better!

Guest optimistic nit

Is he the bloke who scored an overhead kick in the 2002 World Cup?

Aye, we were linked with him then as well iirc. starts for brazil i think now (when not injured.).

Guest optimistic nit

likes been said already our squad needs a lot of work before it is fit to be called a top 10 squad never mind a challenging european team. I see us waiting till we have 2keepers, 4 fullbacks, 4 centrebacks, 4wingers, 4 cm's and 4 strikers before we see any major buys.

I don't remember Ashley saying that but he might have. It would explain why we're almost exclusively targetting cheap players or free transfers.

I agree with you in part but it's easy to point at our most expensive flops to justify any signings. I could point at the signings of Bellamy and Robert which transformed us into a Champions League team therefore instantly repaying their pricetags.

Edmilson comes across as a bit of a desperate signing to me. He might come back in January and walk into the first team with a series of commanding performances, on the back of a major knee injury and in a new league, but it seems a bit unlikely doesn't it.