Premierships Best Attack?

toontownman

so better than bent, henry even luca toni cost less than that. all those players are much superior to him. 10million seems too much for him at the moment. never done much to suggest otherwise

van Persie would fetch more on the market than all of those players.

And yes he's better than two of them.

no one in their right minds would pay upwards of 17 million for him. all three are better than him. van persie has no pace, not a natural finisher and not good in the air. whats goods technique if there is nothing else with it.

Guest sicko2ndbest

so better than bent, henry even luca toni cost less than that. all those players are much superior to him. 10million seems too much for him at the moment. never done much to suggest otherwise

van Persie would fetch more on the market than all of those players.

And yes he's better than two of them.

no one in their right minds would pay upwards of 17 million for him. all three are better than him. van persie has no pace, not a natural finisher and not good in the air. whats goods technique if there is nothing else with it.

I disagree wholeheartedly. One of the best finishers in the league

Keane, Defoe and Bent are average, or at best above average, forwards. Theyre proven in the Premiership, theyre upper mid table level when on form, but theyll never attract a top 4 or CL club imo as they simply dont have the ability - they arent that good.

Berbatov is good, and when hes allowed to be, very good, but even with him I can see the hype dying down once he starts to get heavily man marked and defenders are aware of his link up play, which has only really developed in recent months.

Not too excited by Spurs' attack. Its more strength in depth than it is real quality, and the quality that it does have is entirely that of Berbatov's.

Man U's is far and away the most frightening, in terms of genuine world class players, and potential. Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez(?) and Nani/Anderson - Phew. I don't count Saha and Smith in that, as they will be out soon.

Newcastle's is very impressive to be honest, a bit of everything - Owen, finisher / Viduka - big strong target man / Martins - Pace, power, something out of nothing / Ameobi - unpredictablilty, geordie passion. With Gudjohnsen's guile and creativity - that will be a most impressive forward line. I thought Shearer, Bellamy, Kluivert, Ameobi was strong - that would be next level.

Spurs - not bad - Berbatov is the only world class out of that bunch. Martins is better than the rest of Spurs' strikers - is explosive, young enough to improve too.

Shevchenko will be back on top form this season - still world class. I don't rate Liverpool's that highly for some reason - Torres is good - Kuyt, hard worker, Voronin - -unknown quantity, Crouch 'good touch for a big man' - prefer our selection of strikers to theirs.

Berbatov is closer to Viduka than Shearer FFS! :lol:

Reminds me of an argument I had with a spurs fan in a kebab shop a few years back, that time it was Iversen (sp?) who was better than Shearer  mackems.gif Good to see spurs are still producing this quality of fans  bluelaugh.gif

With all these big changes, I can't fucking wait to see how each team does this year, looks very exciting for many fans of different teams.

If we keep our strikerforce in tact I think it will be something a bit special like O0

Ameobi - unpredictablilty, geordie passion

:nope:

I think unpredictability is a fair comment, I never know where the ball is going to go when it bounces off him.

I don't rate Liverpool's that highly for some reason - Torres is good - Kuyt, hard worker, Voronin - -unknown quantity, Crouch 'good touch for a big man' - prefer our selection of strikers to theirs.

Torres is world class imo. Kuyt isn't only a hard worker - he is an excellent finisher as his goal tally from Feyenoord shows. Those two would complement each other perfect I would imagine. Don't know much about Voronin, but with him, Crouch and Bellamy, they certainly look to have the best group of strikers in the league.

As for best attack in the league, Man Utd is definatley a good shout, and im sure Chelsea's would be a strong 2nd if they were allowed more freedom when attacking.

Torres is as much an unkown quantity than any other forward shipped into the prem the amount of forwards with world class reps that have failed to adapt to the prem is notable think Fernando M, Shevchenko i could go on saying that he does have a bit of pace about him but afterall thats what we all said about luque....

I cant believe what im reading KINGDAWSON, bt hopeflly youll never come back on this board again if youre going to show your absolutely crappish knowledge. How can yo say that when  Berbatov aint the best striker in the league, has never been near the top of the world best strikers? Better player then Shearer; Big Al set up many goals in his life many more then Berbatov ever will. Bellamy scored at least a third of them thanks to Shearer. Shearer was one of the greatest strikers in the world, he was 2nd on the list for France Footballs best player in the world. Berbatov what i know will never be there, ive never even rated him, because from what ive seen hes pretty good, but not top10 in the world, im sorry my son but Barcelona has 4 better players in there attack.

Shearer at his best was better than Berbatov in all departments. It was only later in his career after injuries and ageing took their toll that Shearer became more reliant on his strength. In the mid-90s he was very mobile and his link up play was superb. He was far more than just a finisher, he was a brilliant footballer. He didn't have the quick feet or the stepovers but he didn't really need them, his touch, passing, even his crossing was excellent. You don't score 121 goals in 148 games (his peak) by having a poorer touch, poorer control, poorer creativity, poorer passing and poorer link-up play than Berbatov! You're crazy if you believe that. Many of the goals Shearer scored were moves started by him, one-twos or balls fed out wide before getting himself into the box. You seem to be basing your opinion of Shearer on his last few seasons as a player.

Ask any neutral and they'll tell you you're talking bollocks. There are great Premiership forwards like Cantona, Bergkamp, Henry. Shearer can be placed in that category. Mention Berbatov's name anywhere near that category and people will snigger.

Guest firetotheworks

I think on paper Man U's is the best, but its worth remembering last year when Chelsea bought Shevchenko it seemed like there would be no way that they wouldnt win the title with the talent that their midfield and attack had, but Man U won it with Rooney Ronaldo and Scholes, I know it wasnt just them but you get the idea. Im not convinced Tevez is the player that man u need. I dont see what the difference between him and Rooney is in terms of their role within the team. I thought Fergie would have went for more of a Berbatov type player. Maybe the talent of tevez and Rooney will shine through and the roles wont matter, but I think the ones to watch would be ours and spurs. If Viduka and Owen stay fit I think a trio of Viduka, Owen and Martins would be terrifying because of the dynamic between the three. Skill, pace and finishing. Spurs like wise with Berbatov and Bent. Overpriced or not I think Bent will bang them in for spurs because Berbatov has shown himself to be class with any of his strike partners, and tends to bring the best out in them. I've never liked Defoe, I think he's up there with Arjen Robben and Keiron Richardson for being ball greedy, but my mate whos a spurs fan agrees but says that if theres a chance he very rarely misses. So aye, after all that Rabbling I reckon Man U will still have the best attack, but you never know how players will interact.

Guest gggg

last season Berbatov was probably as good as Shearer in any given season he played for us

not for Blackburn though, in those days he was one of the top 3 strikers in the world

He only scored 1 goal against a team in the top half ffs

Berbatov is overrated by the media. Good striker, but not a great striker. He went through a purple patch in the second half of the season and scored some excellent goals and the media hype around him was huge. But the same happened with Martins. A barren spell and suddenly everyone looks at it differently. That's to be expected with players in their first season in England.

Berbatov didn't perform wonders last season, he was just decent and showed potential to be better than decent. Kevin Doyle outscored him playing for Reading, yet the way some people talk about Berbatov you'd think he was the next big thing.

And to think Spurs fans say they have a better strike force than Arsenal!

Van Persie - 11 goals and 7 assists in 21 games.

Berbatov - 12 goals and 9 assists in 32 games.

And I predict he'll outscore Berbatov next season.

Guest gggg

Amazing against these clubs.

2 goals against Charlton, league position 19th.

1 home against Sheff Utd, 18th

1 home against Wigan, 17th

1 home against Boro, 12th

1 home against Newcastle, 13th

1 away against Everton, 6th

1 away West Ham, 15th

1 away Wigan, 17th

1 away Boro, 12th

1 away Charlton, 19th

1 home City, 14th

When he starts doing it regularly against the top clubs then i'll start saying he's amazing, until then he's very overrated.

Berbatov is overrated by the media. Good striker, but not a great striker. He went through a purple patch in the second half of the season and scored some excellent goals and the media hype around him was huge. But the same happened with Martins. A barren spell and suddenly everyone looks at it differently. That's to be expected with players in their first season in England.

Berbatov didn't perform wonders last season, he was just decent and showed potential to be better than decent. Kevin Doyle outscored him playing for Reading, yet the way some people talk about Berbatov you'd think he was the next big thing. And to think Spurs fans say their strike force is better than Arsenal's when Van Persie scored 1 less goal than Berbatov and got more assists than him and he only played 21 games compared to Berbatov's 32! If Van Persie hadn't missed so much of the season he'd have got far more goals and assists. And I predict he'll outscore Berbatov next season.

O0

Van Persie was having a far better season than Berbatov before he got injured, it was after his his injury that Berbatov went on an excellent run and the hype started from then, it seemed to start around the Fulham game where he came on as sub and scored 2.

Berbatov didn't perform wonders last season, he was just decent and showed potential to be better than decent. Kevin Doyle outscored him playing for Reading, yet the way some people talk about Berbatov you'd think he was the next big thing. And to think Spurs fans say their strike force is better than Arsenal's when Van Persie scored 1 less goal than Berbatov and got more assists than him and he only played 21 games compared to Berbatov's 32! If Van Persie hadn't missed so much of the season he'd have got far more goals and assists. And I predict he'll outscore Berbatov next season.

Stop quoting facts and telling the truth!

I know 1 poster who's now in tears after having read that. You, you, you........heartless beast.

O0

Torres is as much an unkown quantity than any other forward shipped into the prem the amount of forwards with world class reps that have failed to adapt to the prem is notable think Fernando M, Shevchenko i could go on saying that he does have a bit of pace about him but afterall thats what we all said about luque....

Morientes has never been so called world class. He didn't make the Real M. squad, and was loaned out to Monaco for christs sake. He was never a regular in his long spell with the Madrid outfit. You have a point with Sheva, but i think that is much down to the fact that he wasn't used right. He is a class player, maybe on his way down, but still an amazing player.

Torres has many years left in him, and has played in one of the biggest leagues in the world for many years already. He is proven on the international stage with spain as well.

Given time to adopt, and used right, he will be one of PL's main attractions for years to come.

his general play compensates for any deficency in goalscoring

True, and that makes him one of the Premiership's decent strikers. A top 6 striker.

I actually think he 's a pretty good forward who does chip in with a lot of assists, but he's overrated because he's considered one of the top strikers in the league. This is the same league where Benni McCarthy (another 'decent' striker) notched up 18 league goals. McCarthy and Berbatov are decent strikers who I rate but there are many I consider equal or better in this league alone. To talk about him as one of the top strikers in the league is wrong, he hasn't earned that status yet.

Berbatov and Bent will form a 'decent' partnership and get quite a lot of goals because Spurs are a 'decent' team. But if you believed half the media hype you'd think he was a one of the league's top strikers on the verge of signing for Man Utd (McCarthy, Martins etc have been linked with the top 4 too, it doesn't mean they're going).

ManU: if they sign Tevez than they've got the best forward line imo.

Arse: van Persie can be as good as Henry but he needs to add consistency to his repertoire. but i'd rate him at 15m already even now. brilliant technique, loads of pace. i don't rate Adebayour at all. a poor man's Viduka. jury out on whether the new guy can do the business in the prem.

Liverpool: the way Rafa has them playing, none of their strikers will score more than 10-15 league goals

Chelsea: Drogba had a sensational season, surely no way he can repeat such a year. the success of their forward line depends on whether Shevchenko finds his feet or remains like a lost person on the pitch as he was last season. Pizzarro seems a clever buy but i don't think he'll get much chance to cement a place.

Spurs: stupid to compare Berbatov after one season with Shearer in his prime. ignoring KD's comments though and looking at him objectively, the Bulgarian is something special. he's come on leaps and bounds since struggling in the beginning. he was bullied in the early season against Bolton, but when the return game came, it was him who physically and technically made the Bolton bruiser defenders look toothless. this is one guy i really hope we go for when Spurs miss out on the CL next summer and he's looking at his options. he's being paid 25k/week, we can offer him Owen's wages surely and he's always said he'd love to wear Shearer's no 9 shirt. with Bent/Keane and Defoe if they keep him, Spurs will have the luxury of alternating strikers when one is not firing. the success of these 4 will depend on how wily Jol is to keep everyone happy and performing without a regular starting spot which is usually important for a striker to maintain his momentum. Keane's dealt very well with it, so has Defoe to a lesser extent, but with Bent now in the mix the balance will be even harder to maintain.

now us.

on paper we look great but my main worry is injuries. Viduka has had more than his fair share of them throughout his career (if my impression is correct), will Owen ever have an injury free season? Oba on his day is as deadly as they come but there are times i thought he looked lost. to give him the benefit of the doubt it probably had to do with Roeder not having any clear system to bring the best out of the strikers, i think he'll do even better under Big Sam. assuming everyone is fit, i think we have a very good trio u front, but we will be relying a bit too heavily on Viduka as i think we'll lose out too much physically playing Owen and Oba together, especially at set pieces such as defending corners. Shola, imo, will never be more than a half-decent back up for a club aspiring to grand ambitions.

to summarize, if Big Sam is going to play with 2 up front, we need someone to come in and challenge Viduka for his spot, otherwise we will be too vulnerable to an injury or loss of form to him. all 3 strikers can score, no doubt, but Viduka has been very streaky (good for 5 matches then suddenly sh*te for a period) in his career and he's hardly a spring chicken.

Guest gggg

I think this would be the best forward line in Premiership history tbh

---------VDS--------

Neville--Ferdinand--Vidic--Evra

----Carrick--Hargreaves-----

--------Scholes-------

-Ronaldo-------Rooney-

--------Tevez--------