Aldo Duscher arrives on trial - and promptly leaves?

Nicky

he is giving a trial to Duscher to see if he's up to it!

If Sam feels he needs to give him a trial = Sam doesn't think he's good enough

If Duscher is prepared to come on trial = Duscher doesn't think he's good enough

As you say he is giving him trial to see if he is up to the job.

If Sam feels he needs to give him a trial = Sam wants a close look at him before offering him a deal in a no risk situation

If Duscher is prepared to come on trial = Duscher  thinks he is good enough & will do the trial to prove it.

Just because he's free does not mean we should sign him on. FFS Sam has millions & he is giving a trial to Duscher to see if he's up to it!

If Duscher is prepared to come on trial = Duscher doesn't think he's good enough

He may do ok, but we need & should only looking at better than ok.

Thats a bit simplistic in fairness. Maybe Sam hasn't seen enough of him to cement his opinion. Maybe Duscher wants to see what he's joining, the area, facilities etc - perhaps its a mutual thing.

Who knows?

One thing is for sure, we've got a thin squad and if he's got a bit of quality that Sam feels can be teased out then he'll add to the numbers to keep us going when some of the squad go off to the ANC in the winter.

I was always a fan of Acuna and he was that kind of squad player (for me, a bit underused but there you go) if Duscher can come in and do a job then I'm all for it.

Butt hasn't got long left playing at the top level in my opinion so, perhaps, Duscher is his natural replacement?

Guest Verlaine

If Sam feels he needs to give him a trial = Sam wants a close look at him before offering him a deal in a no risk situation

If Duscher is prepared to come on trial = Duscher  thinks he is good enough & will do the trial to prove it.

yes.

More bodies the better.

I haven't been that impressed with him so far, but for free am willing to see what he can do.

Might mean Butt is out of the door, or it might mean SA really wants to beef up the squad on the cheap to save the big layouts for top quality which can make a difference.

It also might help Luque settle, a friend from old (am presuming they played together at Depo) but for some reason Emre and Duscher sounds a little alarm for some reason. Was their an incident at NT or in the CL at some point?

God knows, probably tripping.

I'd be happier to have him here than nobody at all. It'd be good to have a squad covered in all areas for once.

However, it's not that simple. Once you buy a player you're stuck with him, for however many years paying his wages and having him around the place. If he isn't good enough, is a cock, or both then it becomes a problem. Just having him around restricts your ability to sign other players who become available, because you have a wage structure which is there for a reason. You try to sell him but you can't because other clubs don't want your problem, and those who do won't meet his wages.

So while Duscher is better than nothing, you have to consider the opportunity cost. If we sign Duscher we're missing out on other players, not only this summer but perhaps in transfer windows to come. Therefore, even though he's on a free, it's never simply a case of 'better than nothing'.

Now I don't know enough about Duscher to pass judgement, but from reading the comments of those who do - the Depor fans - and looking at his age, his recent poor form over the last year or two and his probable wages, I'd rather we went for someone else.

If I were the manager with millions to spend (yes millions) I wouldn't be giving a trial to anyone. Sam knows his onions & should already know in his mind whether he is good enough or not.

If I were Duscher & I thought I was good enough I would be prepared to come on trial.

Guest Verlaine

A trial during pre-season is slightly different, though. I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a player in for a week of pre-season, and mutually sensible.

I'd be happier to have him here than nobody at all. It'd be good to have a squad covered in all areas for once.

However, it's not that simple. Once you buy a player you're stuck with him, for however many years paying his wages and having him around the place. If he isn't good enough, is a cock, or both then it becomes a problem. Just having him around restricts your ability to sign other players who become available, because you have a wage structure which is there for a reason. You try to sell him but you can't because other clubs don't want your problem, and those who do won't meet his wages.

So while Duscher is better than nothing, you have to consider the opportunity cost. If we sign Duscher we're missing out on other players, not only this summer but perhaps in transfer windows to come. Therefore, even though he's on a free, it's never simply a case of 'better than nothing'.

Now I don't know enough about Duscher to pass judgement, but from reading the comments of those who do - the Depor fans - and looking at his age, his recent poor form over the last year or two and his probable wages, I'd rather we went for someone else.

That's not true, the majority of fans didn't want him to go, he didn't play because they couldn't agree on a contract.

Nothing to suggest Allardyce has a budget to work from Ashley to as yet. It wouldn't surprise me if we don't splash the cash until Ashley's team has gone through the books and got the full picture. If Allardyce can get us into Europe without spending loads why bother?

As i've said from day one with Allardyce and Ashley, I want us to build from a solid base, on and off the pitch. If that means starting off slowly then so be it.

Guest Morph

Good stuff.  Better to thoroughly check if a player is up to the job, rather than offer him a contract and hope for the best.

Nothing to suggest Allardyce has a budget to work from Ashley to as yet. It wouldn't surprise me if we don't splash the cash until Ashley's team has gone through the books and got the full picture. If Allardyce can get us into Europe without spending loads why bother?

As i've said from day one with Allardyce and Ashley, I want us to build from a solid base, on and off the pitch. If that means starting off slowly then so be it.

My thoughts exactly on this. Still willing to trust Allardyce's judgement for now, he hasn't really put a foot wrong yet from what we know.

If we sign the new Clarence Acuna, it can only be good. Acuna was one of our most under rated players since I've been following the club.

Acuna was the man.

He made pirates cool before Johnny Depp did, so ahead of his time was our little Chilean. (looked like Danny Trejo as well, the man oozed talent and style)

:D

If Duscher is prepared to come on trial = Duscher  thinks he is good enough & will do the trial to prove it.

yes.

Ditto.

Guest Verlaine

Am I the only person who doesn't look at Acuna like this:

http://www.toontastic.net/board/style_emoticons/default/rosetintspecs.gif

I blame the Narnia revival, personally.

That's not true, the majority of fans didn't want him to go, he didn't play because they couldn't agree on a contract.

There's a few people feel they missed an opportunity to cash in on him when Man Utd and us were interested a few years back. Some genuinely don't seem to like the guy, others feel he could have become a very good player but lacks the motivation, some wish him all the best because he spent years as a rotation player and never made a fuss.

It's clear to see this guy has ability, it's just quite a while since he's shown it. It would be a typical Big Sam signing, and wouldn't be the worst move in the world, but I feel we could do better.

I'll be well happy if we sign him and he can add to the squad building process.

Even if he is just 'ok', every club has players that aren't world beaters but can step in and do a job when the first team regulars are injured/suspended/rested - even Chelsea/Man Utd.

Good news this and the trial makes 100% sense. Both parties get to check each other out.

Also, the trial would indicate that his club are happy to sell, the fee probably won't be big and, with any luck, he won't be on huge wages.

Guest shaun11177

Its clear we need another defensive midfielder and that no agreement was reached with Edmilson. Sam is certainly carrying on as if he was still at Bolton,strange because one of the reasons he left Bolton was the lack of spending power.

Does Sam feel he cant attract top players in our present situation?

Is there any money actually available or does the club have to repay its debts first?