Alan Oliver: 'top manager' contact claim?

KaKa

Why are we so sure Harry would leave Portsmouth for us when they are doing better and he seems to be perfectly happy there?

Not all is well down there for 'Appy 'Arry... if you believe the rags, that is.

Oh, and... ££££££££.

That was a good post, but Dave is right about the Shepherd bit.

We're in for another interesting few weeks here though, I have to admit that if the next manager isn't reinforced with some "proper" money (no nonsense about the cost of sacking Allardyce, etc. or hiring whoever we get) then I'll start to worry.

For now I still have faith that Ashley will pour money into this club, especially when it's his own man in charge.

Yep, so do i. Which is why i'll worry if he gives all that precious money to an average manager like Harry Redknapp.

I wouldn't say average. The bloke has always flown under my radar, but he seems a very well-respected man in the football world.

Like Allardyce before him, I suppose I'd welcome him and hope not to be let down again.

If Mort/Ashley's mindset is "I don't want to give our £100m to Sam Allardyce, no way, that idea stinks. We must give it to Redknapp, he's the man..." i'll be pretty fucking disappointed.

We're in for another interesting few weeks here though, I have to admit that if the next manager isn't reinforced with some "proper" money (no nonsense about the cost of sacking Allardyce, etc. or hiring whoever we get) then I'll start to worry.

For now I still have faith that Ashley will pour money into this club, especially when it's his own man in charge.

Yep, so do i. Which is why i'll worry if he gives all that precious money to an average manager like Harry Redknapp.

I wouldn't say average. The bloke has always flown under my radar, but he seems a very well-respected man in the football world.

Like Allardyce before him, I suppose I'd welcome him and hope not to be let down again.

If Mort/Ashley's mindset is "I don't want to give our £100m to Sam Allardyce, no way, that idea stinks. We must give it to Redknapp, he's the man..." i'll be pretty fucking disappointed.

Not half as disappointed as I'll be if Redknapp didn't get any money, either.

Guest ObaStar

I would prefer to pay mourinho like 7 mill a year if that what it takes to have him here. Think would you prefer to have Alan Smith, Joey Barton and Enrique or have Jose for 3 years. More cash for those 3 players tbh

What happens if we appoint Harry Redknapp?

Is Oliver still right?

Depends how much Ashley and Mort rate him ?

He would be their choice.

Not yours, or mine.

What would you then say would be the reason for sacking Sam ? When replacing him with a manager who likes to wheel and deal among the 2m pound johnny average footballers ? You have to accept this, or concede that they genuinely rate Redknapp. The acid test is, how do they back him, rather than the actual choice, because we all have our opinions and they are no different to anybody else in that respect. If they see him as a reasonable manager who will hold our own in the premiership, and don't really back him, and appoint him on that basis, then I'm sorry but you are going to have to accept that their ambitions for the club are also limited, and not so much as the old board.

So - do you think Liverpool etc would appoint Harry Redknapp ? After all, we've listened to people spouting off for ages that the fat bastard was taking the club backwards, lowering standards etc and anybody else would be better ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed this has all happened yesterday, but the fact is that now they have to show their hand now, so we will see what they do.

As always, I will believe they are better when they prove it, and their ambition for the club.

I think asking what Liverpool would do is quite misleading. You're right in that the real test will come in how much they back whoever they appoint, but if you're going to ask whether Liverpool would appoint Harry Redknapp, I could easily ask whether Liverpool would hire Graeme Souness, Glenn Roeder or Sam Allardyce?

I think there is some truth in what Oliver is saying, i agree with the disbelief to the "top agent rang me" claim, i personally think someone else got hold of the information, told Oliver and he is simply trying to make himself look good, ITK as it were. Possibly because he got information in the past and hasnt this season at all, maybe he wants to tell the city that he is still ITK with Newcastle. Either way it would seem to be falling into place, i wont be rushing to give Oliver credit at all though because i firmly believe he has been told this by someone else who IS ITK, no doubt Oliver will be a gloating bastard if it happens.

We have to get the best man available for the job, that's surely the way to go.

Like NE5 says, it's not us who decides who the best man is though, it's Ashley and Mort and whoever their advisers/confidants are.

Not half as disappointed as I'll be if Redknapp didn't get any money, either.

Absolutely, i'd go with that. That'd take the situation to new realms of pointlessness. I'd also venture into the possibilities of having Mort/Ashley sectioned.

By the way, I completely agree with your post prior to my response. Very clever way of looking at it that I hadn't considered yet. Selfishly speaking though, I suppose we want the new Gaffer to be given as much support as possible. We still don't know the full extent of the reason why Allardyce had to go, whether he'd lost the players, etc. There may turn out to be a good reason why he wasn't fully backed, if the next manager is given a warchest.

They'd have to be insane to go to all this trouble of sacking Allardyce just to constrain the new guy. Utter madness.

Well obviously; that'll be the reason why Sam'll have gone most probably - they've got money to spend but they don't want him to spend it. But to get rid of him and give it to Harry would just be senseless.

They'd have to be insane to go to all this trouble of sacking Allardyce just to constrain the new guy. Utter madness.

Well obviously; that'll be the reason why Sam'll have gone most probably - they've got money to spend but they don't want him to spend it. But to get rid of him and give it to Harry would just be senseless.

Not entirely, if they didn't believe Sam would spend it correctly. For all the positives he was apparently bringing behind the scenes, on the pitch (where it counts) we were fucking turgid for the most part. A win ratio of 33% also has to be one of the worst, if not THE worst we've had, since Keegan?

Not entirely, if they didn't believe Sam would spend it correctly. For all the positives he was apparently bringing behind the scenes, on the pitch (where it counts) we were fucking turgid for the most part. A win ratio of 33% also has to be one of the worst, if not THE worst we've had, since Keegan?

3rd worst, Souness 2nd, Gullit 1st

Not entirely, if they didn't believe Sam would spend it correctly. For all the positives he was apparently bringing behind the scenes, on the pitch (where it counts) we were f****** turgid for the most part. A win ratio of 33% also has to be one of the worst, if not THE worst we've had, since Keegan?

3rd worst, Souness 2nd, Guillet 1st

souness improved us to start with and coped (maybe craeted) massive injuries....allardyce goes above guillit

What happens if we appoint Harry Redknapp?

Is Oliver still right?

Depends how much Ashley and Mort rate him ?

He would be their choice.

Not yours, or mine.

What would you then say would be the reason for sacking Sam ? When replacing him with a manager who likes to wheel and deal among the 2m pound johnny average footballers ? You have to accept this, or concede that they genuinely rate Redknapp. The acid test is, how do they back him, rather than the actual choice, because we all have our opinions and they are no different to anybody else in that respect. If they see him as a reasonable manager who will hold our own in the premiership, and don't really back him, and appoint him on that basis, then I'm sorry but you are going to have to accept that their ambitions for the club are also limited, and not so much as the old board.

So - do you think Liverpool etc would appoint Harry Redknapp ? After all, we've listened to people spouting off for ages that the fat b****** was taking the club backwards, lowering standards etc and anybody else would be better ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed this has all happened yesterday, but the fact is that now they have to show their hand now, so we will see what they do.

As always, I will believe they are better when they prove it, and their ambition for the club.

I think asking what Liverpool would do is quite misleading. You're right in that the real test will come in how much they back whoever they appoint, but if you're going to ask whether Liverpool would appoint Harry Redknapp, I could easily ask whether Liverpool would hire Graeme Souness, Glenn Roeder or Sam Allardyce?

Yes they would.

3rd worst, Souness 2nd, Gullit 1st

and Keegan the best by a country mile

1 bad season in a s**** team (with no striker to aim for) with a League 2 standard manager and Duff's a 'crap' player

pathetic tbh

You can only judge a player by what he does in his team.

Therefore - yes, he HAS been sh*t.

I would prefer to pay mourinho like 7 mill a year if that what it takes to have him here. Think would you prefer to have Alan Smith, Joey Barton and Enrique or have Jose for 3 years. More cash for those 3 players tbh

I personally believe that Barton's behaviour swing back to the bad old days (did they ever go ?) was a major contributor to Big Sams sacking. Along with all his signings being dud.

All his good work has just gone down the drain.

He has just been on SSN and basically said it will be Redknapp or Hughes.

Not exactly a manager to 'blow our socks off'.

What a twat. His face looks like a scrunched-up paper bag.

Might have blown Mort's socks off though, depending on whether he rates Hughes or Redknapp highly enough to make them our manager.

At the end of the day, Spurs got Ramos, who I personally rate as an up and coming manager.  Albeit it was La Liga, but he transformed Seville from an unfashionable club into title contenders and won 2 UEFA cups in the process.

I see ourselves and Spurs as pretty much level pegging, and if they can get someone of his quality, we, with Ashley's funding, should be able to get someone of similar standard.

Guest Guinness

Just seen that, so much for the top manager bollocks. 50/50 between Hughes and Redknapp he thinks, hopefully he's wrong as per usual.