Kieron Dyer

DJ_NUFC

Bowyer was the end of Solano's first spell here. We shoehorned him into a right-midfield spot. He got injured and Nobby got his place back then we sold him for peanuts and played Ambrose the rest of the season. Not Sir Bobby's best moment and one of a few factors that season which cost us top 4.

Also remember we didn't register him in the squad at the start of the UEFA Cup campaign because he had a 6-match ban, but because we didn't register him the suspension didn't in so he missed pretty much the whole campaign by the time we were allowed to register him. Think he made a cameo in Marseille and that was it. :lol:

For finishing 5th that was a shite season. Shearer, Woodgate and Bellamy when fit and Robert September to February apart.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Bowyer was the end of Solano's first spell here. We shoehorned him into a right-midfield spot. He got injured and Nobby got his place back then we sold him for peanuts and played Ambrose the rest of the season. Not Sir Bobby's best moment and one of a few factors that season which cost us top 4.

Also remember we didn't register him in the squad at the start of the UEFA Cup campaign because he had a 6-match ban, but because we didn't register him the suspension didn't in so he missed pretty much the whole campaign by the time we were allowed to register him. Think he made a cameo in Marseille and that was it. :lol:

For finishing 5th that was a shite season. Shearer, Woodgate and Bellamy when fit and Robert September to February apart.

Robert carried us for most of that season. His best football in our shirt.

Aye from his sending off at Everton up to around spring he was different class. Mentioned it before but getting overlooked for France for Bruno Cheyrou in a squad before the Euros seemed to kick the stuffing out of him. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, wormy said:

Shepherd - most definitely the wrong thread for it, but genuine question, what did he do for us of benefit as a club? I'm not trying to be a dick, either, I think I was just too young/disinterested in the board-level goings on. He became chairman in 1997.. Ironically the point we started slipping outside of finally nabbing Sir Bobby. As far as his managerial decisions I don't think a single one wasn't reactionary in that decade, was it? 

The only good appointment he made was Robson. But that was a plate for him. 

He had his fingers burnt with Gullit, don't think he even gave any consideration to appointing a continental manager after Ruud left. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Too many late equalisers we conceded that season. Blackburn and Brum away stand out in particular. Shearer missing penalties at home to Villa and Wolves on the last home game of the season.

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Pompey away with Lua Lua, not winning in our first 6 games...the points tally to get 4th that season was very low and we spent most of the season competing with the likes of Villa and Charlton.

Everton away, Duncan Ferguson 88th min.

O'Brien OG away to Spurs, 86th min.

https://www.nufc.com/html/2003-04html/2003-04fixtures.html

Some depressing results on there. 0-1 at home to Souness' Blackburn. Did Pederson punch that winner in!?

2 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Everton away, Duncan Ferguson 88th min.

O'Brien OG away to Spurs, 86th min.

https://www.nufc.com/html/2003-04html/2003-04fixtures.html

Some depressing results on there. 0-1 at home to Souness' Blackburn. Did Pederson punch that winner in!?

Aye he did. 

Arsenal away too. Looking good for 2-2 then Jenas throws his hand up and gives them a pen.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

32 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Too many late equalisers we conceded that season. Blackburn and Brum away stand out in particular. Shearer missing penalties at home to Villa and Wolves on the last home game of the season.

I remember Bobby's interview after the Villa game alluding to the fact he didn't want Shearer to always take them. 

2 hours ago, wormy said:

Shepherd - most definitely the wrong thread for it, but genuine question, what did he do for us of benefit as a club? I'm not trying to be a dick, either, I think I was just too young/disinterested in the board-level goings on. He became chairman in 1997.. Ironically the point we started slipping outside of finally nabbing Sir Bobby. As far as his managerial decisions I don't think a single one wasn't reactionary in that decade, was it? 

Reactionary pretty much sums up his time at the club. If Robson hadn't been a Geordie (from Chester Le Street, County Durham.......) we'd have probably hired someone like Brian Little in 99.

He wasn't a million miles away from Ashley in terms of not respecting the idea that low profile spending on things like backroom staff and training facilities would have any positive impact on the club, and Robson was trying and failing to fight battles with him on that for years. Shepherd was more interested in lurching around making ostentatious signings, selling sizzle rather than steak to keep people buying tickets.

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

My pet theory for a long time has been that Robson turned his guns on Solano because he wanted to reformat the team and move us away from being reliant on crosses into the box for the ageing Shearer. Bearing in mind, iirc, the previous summer was the one where Shepherd had blocked him from selling Shearer to Liverpool. So if he wasn't going to be able to evolve the team in a normal way, he was going to try and force the issue by making him surplus to requirements.

But yes, in and of itself, Solano's treatment seemed mental at the time.

Boro got Souness from Tottenham after he acted up there, bad attitude.

Big Jack was the Boro manager at the time, the story goes Souness acted up and Jack took him behind the stand and fettled him.

Souness was a real dirty player, he was well regarded and a good midfield player.

In my opinion Souness was given way to much time on the ball because players were wary of his reputation.

We played at Ayesome Pk and afore the game, the papers built up the possible clash of the opposing mid field enforcers…..Souness for Boro and for the Toon Tommy Craig, if Tommy ever sherked a tackle, well I never witnessed it………….

Tommy Craig got carried off after the first 50-50, Souness went over the top of the ball and clattered Tommy.

Souness was the dirtiest player I’ve ever seen, he’s a piece of shit !

Edited by Wild Geese

Shearer was as much to blame as Bellamy etc, if not far more. Was unhappy about being brought off late on in a friendly at 34 and made it clear. 

Never thought it was coincidence he was sacked 2 days after dropping him for Kluivert.

4 hours ago, 80 said:

Reactionary pretty much sums up his time at the club. If Robson hadn't been a Geordie (from Chester Le Street, County Durham.......) we'd have probably hired someone like Brian Little in 99.

He wasn't a million miles away from Ashley in terms of not respecting the idea that low profile spending on things like backroom staff and training facilities would have any positive impact on the club, and Robson was trying and failing to fight battles with him on that for years. Shepherd was more interested in lurching around making ostentatious signings, selling sizzle rather than steak to keep people buying tickets.

My pet theory for a long time has been that Robson turned his guns on Solano because he wanted to reformat the team and move us away from being reliant on crosses into the box for the ageing Shearer. Bearing in mind, iirc, the previous summer was the one where Shepherd had blocked him from selling Shearer to Liverpool. So if he wasn't going to be able to evolve the team in a normal way, he was going to try and force the issue by making him surplus to requirements.

But yes, in and of itself, Solano's treatment seemed mental at the time.

Where's the tinfoil....I need a hat

7 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Shearer was as much to blame as Bellamy etc, if not far more. Was unhappy about being brought off late on in a friendly at 34 and made it clear. 

Never thought it was coincidence he was sacked 2 days after dropping him for Kluivert.

Bellamy mouthed off in the press when we bid for Rooney a few weeks before

There were few exceptions in the blame game - loads of them acted like wankers, Shearer included.