José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

As I said after the whole fiasco, if any player wants to leave then get a move on with it.  If players don't want to be at this club then f*** them.

Jose to me has been tapped up with promise of bigger wages etc to his agent.

If you were in charge of Man Utd or City you would of said toodles to Rooney or Tevez in Jan?

SAF is the best around he fought to keep Cantona, he managed to keep Ronaldo for another year & he got Rooney to stay.

So what you're saying is that SAF is a legend because he's managed to keep hold of a s**** player, and he is s****, by offering him an absolute fortune?

I am saying nothing like that all.

He done what needed to be done to keep one his best players.

Guest Roger Kint

Fergie is manager of one of the worlds top clubs with almost limitless resources to offer as wages, he kept Rooney because he caved in and did what he wanted. 

There is a world of difference with a club like us.

Guest Chubby Jason

Fergie is a smelly arsed scrotum feeler with the personality of a monkeys sweaty dirty anus and the skills of a one legged turnip!

Guest Wearside

I wonder if Enrique fancies a move to Wearside if we qualify for Europe,he wouldn't even have to move house.

Only joking lads,chill. :fishing:

Fergie is manager of one of the worlds top clubs with almost limitless resources to offer as wages, he kept Rooney because he caved in and did what he wanted. 

Caved in bit extreme but sometimes you gotta do these things to keep your best players.

The point was regarding "if any player wants to leave then get a move on with it." I think you have to look at who the player is & circs. AC & £35 million any club is going to have to think about that, likewise a left back with 12 months on there contract. But if Jose signs a new deal after we are safe I would not expect him to be sold for £12 million in the summer. 

Guest Roger Kint

I would say it was very much caving in tbh, Rooney went from transfer request to huge wage rise pretty quickly.

As for us and any player who wants out, we know there is a limit to our wagebill so if he can get a better deal elsewhere we really have little power aside from scraping as much as possible for a fee. Totally different kettle of fish from the Man Utd link. It goes without saying that mad bids like with Carroll cant be ignored and that we wouldnt be interested in bids should he sign a new deal either, the reality is though he probably wont sign a new one as we cant offer what the CL clubs can in terms of money or CL games.

It's not a world of difference, it's just a matter of scale.

We wouldn't be able to hold onto one of the best players in the world in their position, of course we wouldn't. However Enrique is not one of the best players in the world in his position. He's good, and he's better than average in this league, but he's not in the top 10 left backs in the world.

If it's really about the ambition to win things for Enrique, then we can't begrudge him leaving for a club in England, Spain, Italy or Germany who are in the CL, and I wouldn't blame the club for selling him in the Summer either. However if he goes to a club who are only realistically going for a Europa League place like Liverpool or Villa, then it's partly about the money for the player, and completely about the money for the club. I know there are some who would hate him for that, but personally I don't begrudge any player moving for money, 99.9% of us in the same position would do exactly the same and you're kidding yourself if you think differently. In that situation, a club with our resources in one of the best leagues in the world shouldn't really be struggling to keep hold of him if we think he's worth it. Enrique as a player is about at the same level as we should be as a minimum as a club.

We wouldn't be able to hold onto one of the best players in the world in their position, of course we wouldn't. However Enrique is not one of the best players in the world in his position. He's good, and he's better than average in this league, but he's not in the top 10 left backs in the world.

If it's really about the ambition to win things for Enrique, then we can't begrudge him leaving for a club in England, Spain, Italy or Germany who are in the CL, and I wouldn't blame the club for selling him in the Summer either. However if he goes to a club who are only realistically going for a Europa League place like Liverpool or Villa, then it's partly about the money for the player, and completely about the money for the club. I know there are some who would hate him for that, but personally I don't begrudge any player moving for money, 99.9% of us in the same position would do exactly the same and you're kidding yourself if you think differently. In that situation, a club with our resources in one of the best leagues in the world shouldn't really be struggling to keep hold of him if we think he's worth it. Enrique as a player is about at the same level as we should be as a minimum as a club.

good post.

not surprised in the slightest he wants to go. and he will, been saying it for months. him and carroll were always gonna be peddled once ashley brought his patsy in.

Yup very good post.

Very true. We as a club now seem to have set ourselves a wage limit where only other clubs cast offs like Nolan, Butt and Smith will be happy to ply their trade. Any player of significant quality will leave for a club with more ambition. It was understandable to have some wage restrictions but it seems we now class ourselves alongside the likes of Bolton and Wigan when it comes to how much we are willing to pay players.

I can imagine Ben Arfa being paid 40-50k/week (At the lowest)

But he's the exception that proves the rule. HBA is probably the best individual player we have signed in modern times. He's potential is beyond massive, and the only reason why were able to sign him was because of his bad boy reputation. If he stabilizes his head, the world will be at his feet.

Guest Roger Kint

We arent a top 6 team, why are people thinking we can match them financially? As for comparing our wage bill to Bolton and Wigan? Fucking hell man :facepalm:

We have Colo, Taylor, Barton, Nolan, Jonas, Enrique, HBA all on bigger wages than either of those can afford never mind shite like Smith to carry. By all means bitch about ambition but come on we have to be realistic.

I can imagine Ben Arfa being paid 40-50k/week (At the lowest)

But he's the exception that proves the rule. HBA is probably the best individual player we have signed in modern times. He's potential is beyond massive, and the only reason why were able to sign him was because of his bad boy reputation. If he stabilizes his head, the world will be at his feet.

Yep. I can imagine there's some kind of wage cap as a guidance line to go after, but i doubt it's black or white. The right type of player we can offer more than decent wages, higher than the likes of Wigan and Bolton. I doubt we'll offer any player something like 100k though.

Guest Roger Kint

Is saying you want CL football a cop out for saying you want more dosh?

Who said that?

Me as I am asking the question.

Oh right, thought you had read it into somebodies post. Guess its a hard question to answer as the two very much go hand in hand by default. If the player is good enough then its only natural he would want to test himself at a higher level but i can imagine there are some who would view money as their number one aim. In this case i think the CL trumps the payrise though.

I would argue that Enrique has the potential to be as good in his position as Ben Arfa does in his own.

There's only Cole and Evra i'd place above Enrique in the Prem at the moment. Yet i still wouldn't swap him for anyone even if it was possible.  :smitten:

I wouldn't hold it against him if he did move to a bigger club, i would be very dissapointed and angry if he just side stepped to another team such as Aston Villa though.

I'm still all for putting a cap on wages though and restricting massive wages being dished out, i think highest earner should be on no more the 70k a week tops.