José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Im sure these players would want to stay if we show some ambition as has been said. Spend a bit of money (that we should now have) wisely, put a few motivational words in their ears about where we want to go & we could likely keep them. Ashleys willingness to want people to do this in the face of a lot of potential money is doubtful to me still.

No one outside of the top 5 should be able to nab our players with the performances we've put in this season. We have shown as much potential to be up there as the others around them & if not for two last minute equalisers thats exactly where we'd be.

Reckon Enrique is putting pressure on the board to go out and buy players in the summer. This seems to be something the players have discussed internally what with Barton's comments also striking a chord. but also, specifically through the Villa reference, these comments if true are to help him gain a good contract. atm comments like these are leverage to be used in negotiations.

however knowing our board it probably won't work in Enrique's favour, if anything they'll be pissed off with him and may start briefing against him in the press, sullying his name for an eventual sale and testing the market for his worth.

I wondered about that. But... well.. we'll have to see. I fear you've correctly predicted the outcome of that initiative.

If they were designed at least partly with a view to staying here, I think it was a misjudgement to make the comments quite so raw, though.

Initially thought of that too, that Barton and Enrique were laying down their cards (including not signing their contract extensions) so that Ashley will release the funds to strengthen the squad in the summer. Without selling any more 1st teamers ofc.

But the body language of Jose suggests otherwise. He looked distinctly moody in recent matches compared to being happy and settled at the start of the season. That lashing out at Lovenkrands during the Blackburn match suggests pure frustration. You just can tell that he's very much displaying his unhappiness compared to say Barton.

I would love to have him stay. But in the worst case scenario where he goes in the summer, I hope it's a case of him going to a genuinely big club (preferably overseas, back to Spain) and us getting a good fee.

Following any worst case scenario, what then? Players are already unhappy over first, the Hughton sacking and latter, the Carroll departure. If we were to lose another important member of the squad, it may just spark off players wanting out and refusing to sign new contracts. Morale in the dressing room will take another severe beating, especially with each day gone by where significant reinforcements are not brought in. Reinvesting the Carroll money wisely may just rebuild the belief of the players and get Barton and Enrique to sign their contracts. If that doesn't happen and we are still going for cheap squad fillers the likes of Perch and Best (no offence), the players may just refuse to believe in the club anymore.

Three simple steps to leaving on good terms with the fans.

1. Make sure the club you're going to is a clear step up.

2. Do not play bullshit tricks with the media.

3. Let us console ourselves with a nice fat transfer fee.

At the present time, there are clubs that are far more likely to win trophies than us, and with their extra income they can pay bigger wages. When one of those clubs come in for one of our players, the player will want to go.

It doesn't just happen to us. It happened to Villa with Barry and Milner, Spurs with Berbatov (and Campbell before that), arguably Liverpool with Torres. Players will chase money and success, and we're not in a position to offer that right now. 'Ambition' is just putting a postive spin on it.

At the present time, there are clubs that are far more likely to win trophies than us, and with their extra income they can pay bigger wages. When one of those clubs come in for one of our players, the player will want to go.

It doesn't just happen to us. It happened to Villa with Barry and Milner, Spurs with Berbatov (and Campbell before that), arguably Liverpool with Torres. Players will chase money and success, and we're not in a position to offer that right now. 'Ambition' is just putting a postive spin on it.

If anything, selling your best players for inflated prices and reinvesting that money on new talent (and repeating this for several cycles if necessary) is probably the most realistic way any smaller club has of getting up there with the big boys now.

If anything, selling your best players for inflated prices and reinvesting that money on new talent (and repeating this for several cycles if necessary) is probably the most realistic way any smaller club has of getting up there with the big boys now.

Agree..But we're not a small club. We're the biggest outside top 4. But we're "small" in the economical sense because of years of mismanagement. However, due to our economical position the buy and sell strategy could be a wise move to regain our strength. Another high-value sale and we've recovered about 70% of our debt, in two transactions!

But I honestly can't see Enrique leaving us. He's a club favorite, and if he signs a new long term, he will go down as one of the greatest defenders in the club's history. As long as we stay clear of the relegation battle, and sign promising players in the summer, he will sign..I honestly believe that.

I think the Carroll sale has knocked their confidence that the club is serious and progressing, it was lot to long ago he wanted to stay forever.

Tapped up.. of course his agent will be a cunt just like the rest of em, will be doing the rounds listening to contract offers.

Devastating if we lose him.

I also think we will see a few of our best players leave this summer. I would assume that when Pardew came he told all of them his new plan and that he wanted to build a great team around this "group of lads", then he goes and sells the "new messiah" to the bin dippin' scallies from the pool. From that point I would assume that all faith that we will progress or that this is something long term for the players where they might achieve their aims has been instantly shot down.

Our only hope is that at the start of the summer we buy a top drawer striker to rebuild some of that confidence lost... If not, just watch the Rats (unfair) jump ship!!

Guest johnson293

someone recap please, what's been said i can't find the jose quotes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1357726/Joey-Barton-urges-Newcastle-spend-summer-Jose-Enrique-says-aspires-more.html#ixzz1EARqMQ6t

Enrique is wanted at Anfield and has been the subject of interest from Manchester United and Aston Villa.

The 25-year-old said: 'It is flattering that Liverpool are interested. I’ve also heard that Manchester United and Aston Villa have asked about me. They are both big teams and I’m not closing the door on anyone. I’m ambitious and want to play in the Champions League. I want to win things. I’m OK at Newcastle but I aspire to more.’

someone recap please, what's been said i can't find the jose quotes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1357726/Joey-Barton-urges-Newcastle-spend-summer-Jose-Enrique-says-aspires-more.html#ixzz1EARqMQ6t

Enrique is wanted at Anfield and has been the subject of interest from Manchester United and Aston Villa.

The 25-year-old said: 'It is flattering that Liverpool are interested. I’ve also heard that Manchester United and Aston Villa have asked about me. They are both big teams and I’m not closing the door on anyone. I’m ambitious and want to play in the Champions League. I want to win things. I’m OK at Newcastle but I aspire to more.’

pretty honest then, fair play to him

Fuck. This is what I've said before about creating an atmosphere at a club that makes players want away, but of course it'll be Jose who's hated when he goes while our scum owner will get off lightly yet again. Yes he wants to play for a champions league club so the important thing for NUFC to do is show that that is our target, like villa and liverpool have. We're just happy to roll over and say 'wanted away, look' and act like those clubs are something special that we can never be, despite nearly 15 years of evidence to the contrary.

Guest TrueToon

The owners need to show him that thats what where we aspire to be! With good investment in the team i see that as a realistic target,No one can knock Enrique for wanting to move on,He stood by us in the championship and helped us get promotion and has been fantastic this season,What could Enrique be worth now? Must be a fair old wack now right?