José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

"minimal investment on players with potential that will either be the next tiote or the next nobody" and reselling the Tiotes found the season previously!!

I am totally aware of this scenario, but as my fixed text below points out: I am an eternal optimist!!

If we could get some money for him and buy Van Aanholt as a replacement that would be a good solution for me. Van Aanholt was fantastic against us in the Carling Cup, and was also solid in Championship. He won't be as good defensively of course, but from the few games I've seen, he's very good offensively, probably better than Enrique. It's the offensive passing and crossing that's hindered Enrique from establishing himself in the national team, I think.

:lol: @ wullie & buzza

not happening boys, minimal investment on players with potential that will either be the next tiote or the next nobody

get resigned to it

Agreed. I'm not saying the above will definately happen but my advice, for what it's worth, is for people to shelve all talk of 'pushing on' and consider the club might well be happy with standing still

I sincerely hope I'm wrong though

See, this for me is where decker and ashley fall short and seem short sighted.

They have a core of good players and some canny squad players, with a bit of investment (35 mil) it could thurst us forward into a european spot if we make the right choices inthe transfer market.

Being back in europe would be a massive boost for the clubs coffers.

But i dont think they see it like that.

Big test for our club this one. This is not the same situation as Carroll as Jose only has two years of his contract remaining so IMO we won't get daft money bids for him. At most £8-10m and that's being optimistic. In which case we should play hardball and make him see out his contract until we get an offer which suits us. That sort of money will only buy an inferior player.

Guest Brazilianbob

They have a core of good players and some canny squad players, with a bit of investment (35 mil) it could thurst us forward into a european spot if we make the right choices inthe transfer market.

On one hand if we stay out of europe we are able to keep the wages low and make a tidy profit by selling on players that want to play in europe!

If we aspire to Europe we have to pay inflated wages on top of inflated transfer fees, and that can only be financed through progress in europe.

If we get knocked out in the early rounds then that income dries up, but the inflated wages still have to be paid, which will then put the club into the red.

Ergo Dekka and Ash have decided it is more profitable to stay out of europe!

I think it's quite the opposite. They see that, but it's not certain that some players have the same patience. And we got to remember the cretins of all cretins: footballagents. They will use every bloody opportunity to unsettle a player because that will generate income through contract negotiations. And the most ideal thing for them is to unsettle the player so much that he want to change club.  For all we know, Enrique's statement could be a deliberate strategy, set in motion by himself or the agent, in an attempt to squeeze the most out of Castle in the coming contract negotiations. The world know that Castle now got some money, and Enrique and the agent might try to take advantage of that.

But Enrique's statement may actually be from an honest lad who wants a new challenge. I really hope he has patience and is willing to see how the summer's transfers pan out before he take a decision. I want Enrique to stay in the club, but only because he desires to, not because he's awarded a £70 000 a week contract. But that's not likely anyway under MA's regime anyway.

I hate how low the ambition of this club has fell.

We are in fact a selling club at the moment.

Its not that the board necessarily try to make us that, its just that the lack of ambition forces the ambitious players out.

They have a short career, they want to make the most out of it. and they want stability!

I can not imagine how it is to work for a company with as little stability as this club. How can you settle, you just wait on the next cockup!

As long as another company can pay you the same, or better, you have to consider it. (forget about the romantics of loyalty...)

I was looking forward to the January transfer window! Why, because we had a excellent start to the season, with a thin squad.

All i hoped for was to get a couple of bodies in, just to make sure we can build on the good start.

Surly the board should take the chance, and build on what we got?

Both Liverpool and us went in the January window in pretty much the same state.

It was very clear 1.feb who was the ambitious club...

We had sold Carroll and loaned out Ruthledge. And got a out of form, injured CM.

Don`t get me wrong, Irleand can be good business, but it is backup where backup might not be needed most.

Our players are like us, they want the club to be good, play with good players.

How did you react after the transfer window?

I am 100% sure the players was fed up also, lost our best striker, still paper thin squad.

We are just lucky we have some very strong individuals in the squad, who manage to keep the spirit high.

I don`t blame Enrique or his agent if he goes in the summer. Its the club who indirectly forces him out. Showing no ambition, and providing no stability.

He wants to play with the best player, its his career, and he wants to protect it.

Personally i think he loves it in Newcastle, love the fans. But he (and some other) staring to questioning where we are heading, just like the fans in fact.

Amen!

Thing is, even if we were spending a lot of money it would take years to get into the Champions League or win a cup, so if a player wants that right now, there's absolutely nothing we can do to stop them leaving.

Only Man City levels of spending can take us from relegation to Champions League contenders in a couple of seasons.

Again, it would be nice to have some context to the quotes, you only have to look at Barton's statement to see how the Mail cut them down in order to fit their agenda. I'm not naive enough to think it's impossible Enrique's head has been turned/it's a message to the board, it's more my lack of trust in the source.

I guess time will tell with the contract situation.

Seems weird that Enrique would stick around for a season in the Championship and then leave as soon as we start making some progress again.

Depends if his agent has said such and such has contacted me....

I dunno, like others have said, we dont know what the whole quotes are.

Seems weird that Enrique would stick around for a season in the Championship and then leave as soon as we start making some progress again.

Depends if his agent has said such and such has contacted me....

I dunno, like others have said, we dont know what the whole quotes are.

Yeah, obviously his stock is sky high at the moment as well, so a good time to move for maximum money.

Would break my heart to see Jose go, he was one of the big players that stuck with it through the Championship season and came out of the other end better for it.

Bigger clubs come along, take our best players, and we float along nicely in mid table.

We'll probably pay 15million for Bridge knowing us.

I wonder how many points we'll need before we are considered 'safe' enough for the proper planning of next season (including opening contract negotiations with these players) can begin.

:lol:

priceless

:-[