José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Disagree, especially when they said all along that he wasn't for sale at any price. You only have to look at the effect it's had on the supposed new contract talks to see that some of the players are unconvinced. From being reportedly close to announcing them, now the players want to wait and see what happens. Even Barton, who has agreed a deal in principle and says he wants to stay etc etc (personally I do believe him) has put the brakes on.

We don't know what the feeling is within the dressing room, for all we know they might have been told that we're not going to spend the money.

Did Liverpool show a lack of ambition in selling Torres?

Torres has played like a drunk for the last 18 months, and Chelsea were willing to bankroll them buying a top striker and the best young striker in England to replace him. Also, they had those moves lined up before letting Torres go, amazingly enough. So no.

Indeed. Can't emphasise the last sentence enough, they parried a blow and came back with a haymaker by spending every penny. Some might question the wisdom (I don't), but rhetorically it was a massive statement of intent which is rewarding in itself. No one was talking about Liverpool's new plight as a selling club, but they were talking about our historic 'place' in football. Players at other clubs will consider the prospect of a bright future for their careers on Merseyside, they won't here.

FWIW I don't think it's nailed on that he'll be off, before anyone accuses me of that. Also, I accept there are two or three sides to every story.

We shouldn't be selling our best players, hopefully we can convince Enrique he's one of those and that we want to build on him being here. Same with Barton. If we can't, they'll rightly up sticks and go somewhere that values them accordingly.

Disagree, especially when they said all along that he wasn't for sale at any price. You only have to look at the effect it's had on the supposed new contract talks to see that some of the players are unconvinced. From being reportedly close to announcing them, now the players want to wait and see what happens. Even Barton, who has agreed a deal in principle and says he wants to stay etc etc (personally I do believe him) has put the brakes on.

We don't know what the feeling is within the dressing room, for all we know they might have been told that we're not going to spend the money.

Torres has played like a drunk for the last 18 months, and Chelsea were willing to bankroll them buying a top striker and the best young striker in England to replace him. Also, they had those moves lined up before letting Torres go, amazingly enough. So no.

Indeed. Can't emphasise the last sentence enough, they parried a blow and came back with a haymaker by spending every penny. Some might question the wisdom (I don't), but rhetorically it was a massive statement of intent which is rewarding in itself. No one was talking about Liverpool's new plight as a selling club, but they were talking about our historic 'place' in football.

Which we still effectively could do.

I'd like to see van Aaonholt lined up as a replacement if Enrique does leave. Leaves alot to be desired defensively at present, but looked a well rounded young player with good potential when he was with us and at his age clearly has much room for improvement. Plus we'd be getting him off the back of 5 months in the Championship which is the type of loan that'll do him a bit of good.

Don't think he's good enough to be Chelsea first-team material anytime soon either.

Can't blame if does one. With a lack quality of left backs knocking around they will easily get around  £12m to 15m regardless of him having a year left on his contract. I am forecasting he leaves via a transfer request as well & the clubs PR machine kicking in once again. 

"He put a transfer request in & with only 12 months left on his contract what else could we do? He wanted to go"

"The money from Enrique sale will help us secure Tiote "

"Look since HE left we have a zillion draws & 1 win, who is Jose?"

:thup:

And a bunch of mugs people will buy it once again and turn on him, as 80 mentioned earlier.

And the club will say they were willing to offer him an improved contract but x club were going to offer him more money cue accusations of him only moving for the money and being another greedy player.

Guest Heneage

He's far from gone. Of the bunch he was good enough to stay around bring us back up and has played out of his skin, be sad to see him go but if it's to anyone other than the elite I'd be annoyed.

Indeed. Can't emphasise the last sentence enough, they parried a blow and came back with a haymaker by spending every penny. Some might question the wisdom (I don't), but rhetorically it was a massive statement of intent which is rewarding in itself. No one was talking about Liverpool's new plight as a selling club, but they were talking about our historic 'place' in football.

Considering a large proportion of fans are unsure about that, it's no real surprise that the players are too. In fact the way Barton and Enrique have stalled on new contracts and these comments from both point to a serious lack of belief even within the club itself that the ambition is there to spend the brass trying to push us onwards and upwards. Alarming stuff IMO.

Quote from: Jonny Hall on Today at 12:29:08 AM

Quote from: 80 on Today at 12:09:52 AM

Quote from: Jonny Hall on Yesterday at 11:55:22 PM

It's amazing that a player can sit there and say "I want to play Champions League football, be at a big club like Man U" and people still go "Well it must be Ashley and Pardew wanting rid, it simply has to be. There's no other explanation" Laughing

I have to say, not one person has said that. A mention of Pardew possibly trying to up our eventual price for him, but why not - doesn't mean Enrique didn't initiate the deal, just that Pardew's sensibly been wanting to up our eventual price for him.

There are plenty people hinting at it, be it about the Twitter incident or the Carroll sale or him wanting more money or whathaveyou.

When in reality, he simply wants CL football and wants to be at a bigger club. It sucks, but it's truth.

As I suspected. Well, it's me who mentioned the twitter incident, but you're seeing shadows - the issue is simply whether that was a genuine accident or a deliberate indication of an issue, regardless of what the problem was or who caused it. It could have been a dig over the sacking of his trusted mentor, it could have been him laying the foundations of a greedy betrayal of a club. Or it could have been absolutely nothing.

Aside from that, you've managed to change people - and not the usual suspects - saying Enrique's leaving for more money into people saying Ashley and Pardew are cleverly forcing him out of the club, which is impressive and suits an "everybody's stupid" agenda, but not right.

:sadnod:

We were always going to spend money if we stayed up. I doubt we will be spending that wedge + AC money only the loons would think that.

We were always going to spend money if we stayed up. I doubt we will be spending that wedge + AC money only the loons would think that.

I agree.

But until they've not spent the money, I'm not going to criticise them for not being ambitious and not spending the money.

As well as Barton's quotes about improving the team, Nolan also said similar in the Chronicle.  Maybe they can see there is no real desire from Ashley to push on.

The players did seem quite upset about Carroll going which seems quite unusual even allowing for them being an exceptionally tight-knit "group of lads".

If I was an ambitious young footballer with a few braincells I wouldn't want to stick around these gambling idiots. Enrique probably does love the club and the fans to bits but he has to think firstly about himself and his career and fair play to him whatever he chooses.

I agree.

But until they've not spent the money, I'm not going to criticise them for not being ambitious and not spending the money.

How much of it would we have to spend in the summer to convince you it influenced the intended spending plans? Not having a go, just wondering at what point you'd consider it being ambitious.

Could we change his mind if we got 7th place and into Europa?

The Spain situation could go both ways:

1) he doesn't get call-ups here and sees leaving as the only way to get one

2) he gets called up, he sees how the elite live and wants to be part of that

Timing is everything, live in the moment or you get left behind. A drunk clambering off the floor and picking up his teeth before hollering after the guy who put him there that if he 'comes back here he'll get fucking mullered' doesn't look clever to anyone. We didn't parry the blow, we got punched.

Anyway, it's patently obvious we won't even try to throw that haymaker. Even if we spent it all, we'll be getting four £5m kids (wages too, remember), not one gargantuan golden boy and a star of the last world cup.

To me it's clear all manner of negative things are stemming forth, which themselves disrupt the chances of a good Summer. Players will look at the 'newly brilliant' Enrique and see he's attracted by clubs like Villa and Liverpool - so if he's going, why would they come?

I agree.

How much of it would we have to spend in the summer to convince you it influenced the intended spending plans? Not having a go, just wondering at what point you'd consider it being ambitious.

Every penny of it. On transfer fees, like Liverpool did.

Timing is everything, live in the moment or you get left behind. A drunk clambering off the floor and picking up his teeth before hollering after the guy who put him there that if he 'comes back here he'll get f***ing mullered' doesn't look clever to anyone. We didn't parry the blow, we got punched.

Anyway, we patently clear we won't even try to throw that haymaker. Even if we spent it all, we'll be getting four £5m kids (wages too, remember), not one gargantuan golden boy and a star of the last world cup.

To me it's clear all manner of negative things are stemming forth, which themselves disrupt the chances of a good Summer. Players will look at the 'newly brilliant' Enrique and see he's attracted by clubs like Villa and Liverpool - so if he's going, why would they come?

So they could go to Liverpool eventually too? :lol:

How much is he on right now?

I think the Spain callup is weighing heavily here. Going to Villa wouldn't help, but if he goes to Liverpool he'll be on Marca's homepage every weekend.

On another forum today, someone said that it had been mentioned in the Spanish press that he was going to Liverpool and that he would be in the next Spanish squad.  They didn't say which newspaper it had been mentioned in.

The best we can hope for is Ben Arfa comes back and lights up the league.

Kind of difficult to get excited about things when you have the nagging feeling that if anyone becomes a great player we're going to sell them.

IMO I don't think Ben Arfa would go in the summer regardless of if he lights up the league in the 7-8 games he might get. He's come back from a serious injury, "big" clubs aren't feeling ready to risk money on him before they see that he can maintain his eventual form, surely?

How much is he on right now?

I think the Spain callup is weighing heavily here. Going to Villa wouldn't help, but if he goes to Liverpool he'll be on Marca's homepage every weekend.

On another forum today, someone said that it had been mentioned in the Spanish press that he was going to Liverpool and that he would be in the next Spanish squad.  They didn't say which newspaper it had been mentioned in.

I'll search the usual suspects.

EDIT: Found it. Today in Marca. They claim Del Bosque considered calling him against Colombia and might feature soon.

I agree.

Every penny of it. On transfer fees, like Liverpool did.

So £35m net? Again, just wondering, before anyone steams in and tells me that net spend is meaningless.