José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Can't leave this one until the summer like. If we manage to win our next two home matches then that is really the time to go up to him when we know we will be safe, and give ourselves time to persuade him to stay. We should really push the boat out to keep him, he is one hell of a left back.

Even if we reach the magical 40 points or higher mark, I doubt both Jose and Barton will begin contract negotiations right after. Surely they will just leave it til the summer to see who the club will bring in before putting pen to paper.

Mike Ashley would have learnt to conduct contract negotiations in December rather than January in future.

Depends where we finish, and what we do in the transfer market. I reckon we can keep him if we really want to, but it's up to Mike Ashley and how he plans to run the club. Do we kick on, invest in the squad, show ambition and convince the stars they're at a club that can quickly rise towards the Europa league. Or do we cash in on our star players, replace them with cheaper ones and gamble on survival all over again.

Enrique is probably our best player, he's been top class this season and there will definitely be interest in him from clubs as big or bigger than us in the summer. To keep him we'll have to show ambition, bring in some quality with the Andy Carroll money and resist bids that come in. I'm not convinced this is the model Ashley has in mind but all we can do is hope.

To reiterate with what others have said, I'm not sure if those quotes have been fabricated, been translated unfavourably, taken out of context or represent the truth of what Enrique meant...

...but if they do mean he wants out in the near future, in an optimistic world where I was chairman, my plan of action would be to make him play out the remaining 18 months of his contract, even if that does mean he leaves on a free.

In that world, we would get a full season out of him, we would invest heavily in the summer (35m + a bit extra), and the return of Ben Arfa would signal a strong push for European football (added to the impressing side we've already got). We'd also get a decent back-up left back.

In those 18 months, we should still treat him well and try to encourage him to stay/commit contractually. If he became overly-mardy.. or disinterested in the game (angling for a move, basically)... make him play week-in, week-out for the reserves until his attitude improved. :)  It's true we'd lose out on a transfer fee, but player power has to be addressed and confronted at some point IMO.

Suddenly you are doing well and it's time to fuck of, then fuck of tbh

Sell him in the summer, £20m and then invest the money in a hungry loyal 20 year old instead.

then wait for 3 years for him to develop into a great player and sell him for 20m? Fun game this one.

Guest Roger Kint

Theres no way on earth he will let Jose see out his contract, to be honest i would be pretty disappointed if he did as a fee of about £10m cant be thrown away by a club like us. If he wants to test himself at a higher level then so be it, to do so here would take years if at all(even with an owner who splashed the cash) and now is the perfect time for him in terms of form and low contract. Sad to see him go but thats life outside the big 4, nothing to do with ambition or Ashley this time.

To reiterate with what others have said, I'm not sure if those quotes have been fabricated, been translated unfavourably, taken out of context or represent the truth of what Enrique meant...

...but if they do mean he wants out in the near future, in an optimistic world where I was chairman, my plan of action would be to make him play out the remaining 18 months of his contract, even if that does mean he leaves on a free.

:)

In that world, we would get a full season out of him, we would invest heavily in the summer (35m + a bit extra), and the return of Ben Arfa would signal a strong push for European football (added to the impressing side we've already got). We'd also get a decent back-up left back.

In those 18 months, we should still treat him well and try to encourage him to stay/commit contractually. If he became overly-mardy.. or disinterested in the game (angling for a move, basically)... make him play week-in, week-out for the reserves until his attitude improved. :)  It's true we'd lose out on a transfer fee, but player power has to be addressed and confronted at some point IMO.

I've got no issue with him having ambition.  He's got talent and could play for a CL team.  For the time being though I'd like us to convince him we're on the up, however I can't see it happening and selling Carroll was hardly a great example to the rest of the squad.  Its seeing him playing for another PL team that will hurt, if he went back to Spain it wouldn't be half as bad.

What would be a real kick in the knackers is if as those quotes suggest, he'd have his head turned by a move to Aston fucking Villa.

:)

I would do this too, if we qualify for the Europa League or generally look like a better team in that time, he might decide to stay.

Not that it will ever happen in real life, the club will be too concerned with getting maximum value for him if he wants out.

Guest Roger Kint

IIRC Keegan started that season with N'Zogbia at LB, not sure if it was choice or Jose injury though. Madness there wasnt a proper backup brought in then.

Disappointing if he goes in the summer, but to me it points to some of the players realizing that there is a lack of ambition from Ashley and if that's the case, then why should they stick around under the current regime? Jose has done his bit for us - stuck around when we got relegated and has been great since we came back up. I wouldn't blame him for leaving if there is no desire to push on. Back to the days of Westwood and McKeag, IMO.

IIRC Keegan started that season with N'Zogbia at LB, not sure if it was choice or Jose injury though. Madness there wasnt a proper backup brought in then.

Aye, I might be wrong in saying 'cover for Enrique'. He definitely went on about cover at left back though, I can remember it clearly from an interview after one of the games. Might have been Doncaster.

I wonder how many points we'll need before we are considered 'safe' enough for the proper planning of next season (including opening contract negotiations with these players) can begin.

:lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/08/chris-hughton-newcastle-premier-league

Chris Hughton is confident that Newcastle United will reap the rewards of an early promotion back to the Premier League in the transfer market, with the manager believing he has gained a crucial advantage in planning for next season.

Newcastle have been promoted with five games to spare in the Championship and, despite Hughton's attempts to keep the focus on securing the Championship title, he has already begun to look at what needs to be done to ensure the club have the best chance of surviving in the top flight.

8/4/10 to 16/8/10 = 3 players signed before the season started, 2 frees and one for £2m? None of them signed as starters, one of whom was unfit for a month and one who would be injured for the majority of the season.

:doh:

Guest Roger Kint

Aye, I might be wrong in saying 'cover for Enrique'. He definitely went on about cover at left back though, I can remember it clearly from an interview after one of the games. Might have been Doncaster.

I agree i remember it too, might have been an interview at the end of the 07/08 season but 'we only have one LB here' certainly rings a bell like you say.

I wonder how many points we'll need before we are considered 'safe' enough for the proper planning of next season (including opening contract negotiations with these players) can begin.

:lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/08/chris-hughton-newcastle-premier-league

Chris Hughton is confident that Newcastle United will reap the rewards of an early promotion back to the Premier League in the transfer market, with the manager believing he has gained a crucial advantage in planning for next season.

Newcastle have been promoted with five games to spare in the Championship and, despite Hughton's attempts to keep the focus on securing the Championship title, he has already begun to look at what needs to be done to ensure the club have the best chance of surviving in the top flight.

8/4/10 to 16/8/10 = 3 players signed before the season started, 2 frees and one for £2m? None of them signed as starters, one of whom was unfit for a month and one who would be injured for the majority of the season.

:doh:

Touché. :(