José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

van Aanholt in please.

For me he should be the back up to the first choice atm

Disagree. From what I've seen of him, he's first team material. His ticket to Chelsea's first team is exceptional expensive since they got Cole.  The  only way we're able to sign him is if he knows he's replacing Enrique. Besides,  if we're as patient with Van Aanolt as we've been with Enrique, he could develop into one hell of a lb. Remember that Enrique was mediocre for two seasons.. I think  Van Aanholt is not interested in  changing club just to be backup, again.

I'd hate to see Jose leave, especially to another Premiership team but the most pressing matter at the minute is getting him a new, improved (and deserved) contract.

I'd hate to see Jose leave, especially to another Premiership team but the most pressing matter at the minute is getting him a new, improved (and deserved) contract.

Everything is relative. If he'd been on a lousy contract such as Tiote's original deal, he's in his rights to claim a new and improved contract. But  the man signed under the previous regime, so he's already well paid. Some reports believe he's on  60 000 a week. He's not worth more. Although he  had to stuck with a club in turmoil, we must not forget that he wasn't an instant success. He should remember that one of the reasons for his current development should be ascribed to the fact that the club has continued to play with him, despite some weak displays. The first two seasons he was an unstable performer, with some great displays but also some horrific. This is the first season that he's delivered consistently on the highest level. I want Enrique to stay, but not for all cost. I honestly believe that we're able to find an replacement that could be just as good if given time. We should not offer him ludicrous money. If he wants to quit, it's not because of the money, since he's already well paid. He wants new challenges.

Everything is relative. If he'd been on a lousy contract such as Tiote's original deal, he's in his rights to claim a new and improved contract. But  the man signed under the previous regime, so he's already well paid. Some reports believe he's on  60 000 a week. He's not worth more. Although he  had to stuck with a club in turmoil, we must not forget that he wasn't an instant success. He should remember that one of the reasons for his current development should be ascribed to the fact that the club has continued to play with him, despite some weak displays. The first two seasons he was an unstable performer, with some great displays but also some horrific. This is the first season that he's delivered consistently on the highest level. I want Enrique to stay, but not for all cost. I honestly believe that we're able to find an replacement that could be just as good if given time. We should not offer him ludicrous money. If he wants to quit, it's not because of the money, since he's already well paid. He wants new challenges.

Interesting. Sorry, I didn't realise he was on that kind of money to be honest. I thought he had signed just after Ashley's takeover?

I couldn't give a fuck what money he's on. He's one of our best players and we should be paying him what is necessary to keep him.

'He's not worth more' than £x ffs. As long as he's doing the business, who gives a shit? Honestly, some people seem more interested in the balance sheet than the team sheet.

I couldn't give a fuck what money he's on. He's one of our best players and we should be paying him what is necessary to keep him.

No, we should be offering him a competitive salary but making him understand that there's more to life and football than $$$, especially in NE1.

'He's not worth more' than £x ffs. As long as he's doing the business, who gives a shit? Honestly, some people seem more interested in the balance sheet than the team sheet.

I know what you mean Dave, but surely you can't want the club to be held to ransom by every player?

I agree that it's impossible to say "he's worth £Xk a week" though, as all footballer's salaries are insane anyway.

No, we should be offering him a competitive salary but making him understand that there's more to life and football than $$$, especially in NE1.

I think the problem we have is that we can't really offer him any of the other things (European football, trophies etc) - money used to be our main weapon in attracting players. They were the wrong players, but still.

I couldn't give a f*** what money he's on. He's one of our best players and we should be paying him what is necessary to keep him.

'He's not worth more' than £x ffs. As long as he's doing the business, who gives a s***? Honestly, some people seem more interested in the balance sheet than the team sheet.

I agree but does Jose believe the owners ambition matches his i.e winning trophys and pushing for Europe etc and his decisiion will be based on this imho and not money .

I couldn't give a f*** what money he's on. He's one of our best players and we should be paying him what is necessary to keep him.

'He's not worth more' than £x ffs. As long as he's doing the business, who gives a s***? Honestly, some people seem more interested in the balance sheet than the team sheet.

It's a dangerous path to take. If he's given let us say £80 000 a week, that's not suddenly going to improve his play further. If his heart is not in the right place, his performances will suffer, like the ones he's given us lately.  There's no direct connection between pay and performance, like you obviously think. We cannot buy motivation. We've experienced that earlier through the likes of Owen and Luqe.  The most important thing for us now is to improve our overall squad depth. If Enrique doesn't sign, we're able to bring in van aanholt and an two three good talents for the money we save on Enrique's salary and his sales price. That might hurt us in the short run, but Van Anholt might improve, and if he's injured or suspended we have better players to replace him than Perch.

the attitude from the top has filtered down successfully it seems

I know what you mean Dave, but surely you can't want the club to be held to ransom by every player?

I agree that it's impossible to say "he's worth £Xk a week" though, as all footballer's salaries are insane anyway.

Of course I'd rather the club wasn't held to ransom by every player, but not every player can justify their wages. Some of the players on our books can't even justify League Two wages and yet we don't seem to have a problem paying them.

Enrique can, quite clearly. Sure, we can't offer European football etc and I have doubts over the club's ambition at present so it's understandable if the players do too, but I just find the concept of prioritising the finances over the team fucking ridiculous. We're meant to be football fans. It's as if some would rather we turned a profit than finish higher up the league.