José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Joe Cole, Gerrard in a flat 4-4-2, Carragher and Glen Johnson are just a few reasons why that team is not top 4 quality.

If they sign 3 first teamers they'll be a top four outfit next year.

Do you fancy a friendly few quid on it?

I agree with alonso like, absolutely laughable Rafa was trying to replace him with Barry, there only 6 points off the top 4 now though after an absolutely appauling start and middle to the season. City do have 2 games in hand though.

The season they finished second they only lost 2 games all season. That team had perfect balance, but since then they've thrown away their 2 top class midfielders, their World class striker, their best wide player, and Gerrard and Carragher are 2 years older.

It's quite astonishing how they've managed to regress from what was a really good team back then.

Joe Cole, Gerrard in a flat 4-4-2, Carragher and Glen Johnson are just a few reasons why that team is not top 4 quality.

Depends like, I'd be willing to make a wager at the end of the next transfer window depending on who they've signed.

To sign the players you said it would take about £40 - £50 million. It's worth noting that in the last season they've made a profit on player expenditure (dem be like Ashley), this summer will test how keen the new owners are to actually invest.

They don't have much in depth compared to the likes of Man City and Spurs too. Beyond the 1st team they are dire. They will need much significant strengthening to get anywhere near top 2 especially with the competition they have now.

They don't have much in depth compared to the likes of Man City and Spurs too. Beyond the 1st team they are dire. They will need much significant strengthening to get anywhere near top 2 especially with the competition they have now.

there back up strikers and backup wingers (actualy just there wingers in general) are some of the worst in the league tbh

Depends like, I'd be willing to make a wager at the end of the next transfer window depending on who they've signed.

To sign the players you said it would take about £40 - £50 million. It's worth noting that in the last season they've made a profit on player expenditure (dem be like Ashley), this summer will test how keen the new owners are to actually invest.

Fair enough - let's review after the summer window. I just think they're closer to the top four than you reckon.

If they take Jose their back line will look a lot better, add a winger to that (I reckon they'll invest heavily in this area for sure) and they've got some serious ammunition for Carroll to use.

They can still form a decent team without having to spend much in the summer. Jose Enrique has only a year left so he might not cost much if Liverpool wants him. If they don't get him they can still go for free transfers like Taiwo and Marveaux which will be decent additions to their squad. 4th spot will be more attainable for them next season but it will be the likes of the Manchester teams and Arsenal which will be closer to the title than them.

Guest Stephen927

People forget Alonso wasn't always great for Liverpool. Though the season he did play great, Rafa tried to replace him with Barry. :facepalm:

People forget Alonso wasn't always great for Liverpool. Though the season he did play great, Rafa tried to replace him with Barry. :facepalm:

Almost every Liverpool fan will tell you Alonso was nothing short of awesome. Especially 08/09 season.

Guest BooBoo

It was so irritating that after Alonso's halfway line striker v us at Anfield, the twat tried it every other game for the rest of his Liverpool career.

It was so irritating that after Alonso's halfway line striker v us at Anfield, the twat tried it every other game for the rest of his Liverpool career.

He'd already scored from his own half against Luton before he did it against us.

If his attitude fails to improve, I'd be giving Ferguson some games when we are safe from relegation.

What you want him to do, courtsey to the crowd every now and then, maybe blow the odd kiss?

Been absolutely no change to his onfield antics other than he's arguably become a better footballer, ever since he made those comments to some Spanish paper though the phsychlogy experts have been out in full force about how his mannerisms point to him been some tormented soul, desperate to escape the prison than is Newcastle United. No doubt he will want to leave if a bigger club comes in, most players in our squad would, but this whole "he just isn't the same man" just seems like some wild fabrication people seem to have cunjured out of thin air for some reason.

:sadnod:

I haven't seen any real chance in his attitude, but going straight down the tunnel isn't on, like. Not with the adulation he's recieved over the last few years.

He was injured and went off a couple of minutes before everybody was going down the tunnel, he had every reason to go straight to the dressing room for treatment

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/03/15/alan-pardew-aims-to-improve-quality-61634-28335477/2/

Alan Pardew aims to improve quality

by Luke Edwards, The Journal

Mar 15 2011

ALAN Pardew intends to increase the quality of Newcastle United’s squad, but not its size as he revealed the search for a high-class utility player is a prominent part of his transfer plans.

Pardew does not want to jeopardise the harmony of a tightly-knit first-team group by massively increasing numbers at St James’ Park, which suggests several players will be moved on at the end of the season to make room for new ones.

Newcastle’s boss would be willing to increase the squad size by one or two, but he is worried a larger group will lead to disillusioned players kept on the fringes on a matchday.

But, at the same time, he does not believe there is the necessary competition for places which the top clubs need to bring sustained success in the Premier League.

“I think there is some truth in the criticism we have a small squad, if I’m honest,” said Pardew (below), who spent the weekend in France looking at potential transfer targets.

“Certainly next year, I don’t want to necessarily increase the size of the squad too much, but I do want to increase the competition for places. At times, we lack that.

“In terms of the starting XI, most Newcastle fans would pick the same side and that’s a worry for me as a manager. Why isn’t there more competition?

“There should be more questions for me to answer at a club this size. We should be sitting here, and we could all come up with a different formation and a different team.

“It’s too easy to pick the team and we are paying the cost of that now with the injuries. The best players have played every week.”

And, having seen Everton captain Phil Neville fill so many different roles at Goodison Park over the last few years, Pardew admitted he would love to sign a similar type of player.

Although United have privately resigned themselves to the fact José Enríque will leave at the end of the season, they will still make a contract offer in the hope he will change his mind and stay.

But, even if Enríque does unexpectedly sign a new deal, Pardew knows the left-back slot is one Newcastle are dangerously short of cover in.

It is a situation he will remedy at the first opportunity, yet he does not always want two players in every position as some other managers strive to achieve.

He explained: “I don’t necessarily want two top-level left-backs, but you need somebody who is comfortable playing there. You need somebody like Phil Neville at Everton who can play left-back, right-back and centre midfield.

“That saves you a lot of money. They call them utility players and you need someone who can play in three different positions.

“A Phil Neville in the squad the other weekend would have got us a victory. A player like that would be important to us next year.

“I don’t mean two players in every position, I mean a wide player who can play on both wings for example.

“There is a bit of work we need to do with the squad, we’ve got José out (of contract), Joey (Barton) out, Shola (Ameobi) out in a year’s time.

“We’ve got to resolve those issues, and we’ve got to start investing in the group as well.”

United supporters are already anticipating an exciting summer of transfer activity, as is Pardew given the £35m brought in by the sale of Andy Carroll to Liverpool back in January, but he will not make the same mistakes he has done previously in his career.

He added: “I don’t want to lose the focus of the group, I want to keep it tight and relatively small and easy to manage. I’ve made that mistake before, it happened to me at West Ham.

“The squad got too big and it was difficult to focus the group. We need to protect the spirit here, we don’t want to lose what we have got.”

Meanwhile, Leon Best has been named in the Republic Ireland of squad for the Euro 2012 qualifier against Macedonia and the friendly against Uruguay.