Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

Wasn't that long ago when we used to have posters describing certain players as having a touch like a rapist. No prizes for guessing which ones usually got labelled with that one.

Wasn't that long ago when we used to have posters describing certain players as having a touch like a rapist. No prizes for guessing which ones usually got labelled with that one.

Ched Evans?

Obafemi Martins was the last one I can recall, there were one or two others as well, but nah not Ched ironically.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the stuff Zaha has shared. Grim.

Fucking hell. Was prepare to not actually be that shocked given that twitter is basically a hell hole and to an extent you expect that kind of thing but yeah worse than I would have thought.

Mental the age of that kid, from Birmingham as well. Villa supporter presumably?

Online abuse, whether racist, sexual or paedos would all but stop if online anonymity wasn’t a thing. If you had to sign up for the likes of twitter or whatever with a national id, they would think twice surely.

That's just obviously not true though. This kid today wasn't anonymous for a kick off. The worst stuff you see is on Facebook where everybody has their real name proudly next to the picture of their grandkids with a poppy over the top.

Mental the age of that kid, from Birmingham as well. Villa supporter presumably?

Online abuse, whether racist, sexual or paedos would all but stop if online anonymity wasn’t a thing. If you had to sign up for the likes of twitter or whatever with a national id, they would think twice surely.

Whilst there is an element of this, as Wullie says Facebook is by far and away the biggest breeding ground for extremist groups. The worst thing they ever did was include news articles in people's personal feeds years ago. That and private/invisible groups.

It's more the lack of instant consequences. Online you're not going to get a fist to the face for what you say. In fact, since the boy is 12 all he'll get is a telling off and a slap on the wrist.

Also looking at Instagram the little prick has multiple accounts he's been using to racially abuse people. Ian Wright got abused too.

Guest neesy111

That's just obviously not true though. This kid today wasn't anonymous for a kick off. The worst stuff you see is on Facebook where everybody has their real name proudly next to the picture of their grandkids with a poppy over the top.

:thup:

12 years old ffs.

any normal 12 year old isnt aware of language like that or the KKK unless they've been brought up hearing those words.

3 of my kids are 12 yrs old or over. i'll F and blind in front of them at times, i admit, but they wouldnt/havent ever used language like that and i dont even know if the have eaver heard of a "coon" - its just such an oudated insult. i used to get it in school in the 80's and i'm of asian stock!

12 years old ffs.

any normal 12 year old isnt aware of language like that or the KKK unless they've been brought up hearing those words.

3 of my kids are 12 yrs old or over. i'll F and blind in front of them at times, i admit, but they wouldnt/havent ever used language like that and i dont even know if the have eaver heard of a "coon" - its just such an oudated insult. i used to get it in school in the 80's and i'm of asian stock!

Makes me wonder if the racist kid is of Australian heritage - it’s the #1 pejorative against Indigenous Australians and still, shamefully, is heard often.

It’s also the brand name for the #1 selling tasty cheese, and we’re such a racist country that we can’t even get that name changed in 2020.

The kid should be made to meet Zaha face to face, have a conversation with Zaha and talk about this kind of language.

Little bastard would probably have the cheek to ask him for his autograph as well.

Potentially aye as he is a 12 year old kid.  What you want from this is for the kid learning something and not just going away with a verbal clip. 

Change his attitude, leave no room for resentment and build understanding.

Guest Howaythetoon

The kid should be made to meet Zaha face to face, have a conversation with Zaha and talk about this kind of language.

Aye, education and talking face to face to try and solve these issues and break down barriers is key in many of these cases IMO.

Good idea in theory but don't see why Zaha should have to give up his time for being the victim of a crime.

Take the kid to meet Zaha, have a chat, give the kid a lesson in humanity and build bridges.  The kid then might go on and talk about his experiences to his friends and change their minds.

Hoy him off a bridge.

:lol:

The idea of them sitting down face to face is kind of nice in theory. But I also don't like how it would inevitably lead to the whole thing ending up a PR exercise and in a twisted way giving the little shit five minutes of fame out of the whole thing.

Guest chicken little

Good idea in theory but don't see why Zaha should have to give up his time for being the victim of a crime.

I'd be happy with some sort of compromise: "Take the kid to meet Zaha, have a chat, give the kid a lesson in humanity and build bridges" and then at the end Zaha gets to dig the kid as hard as he likes in the solar plexus.