Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

The blazers at the FA always chose the most influential/safest individual to hold the role of captain of the English football team. They're about as risk-adverse a group of dinosaurs as you're likely to get. Proper establishment figures and the qualities you'd look for in a captain weren't particularly relevant when choosing who'd do the job. Safe pair of hands, uncontroversial, clean and unlikely to cause any waves at all.

They've always been the same.

Went to court for assault.

Shagged his team mates wife. Made a racist remark.

Cheated on his wife.

Being black.

I'm not talking about being THE captain either.

I meant the decision to choose Owen over Campbell when I posted it really but that's a good point. :thup:

Is there bollocks. Better players, better people or better leaders. Nowt to do with skin colour.

Martin Keown, Michael Owen and David Seaman?

Nothing wrong with Keown or Seaman.

Owen was obviously an abysmal choice of captain but it wasn't just the international manager who made that horrific appointment.

Campbell was ahead of Keown in the pecking order at international level when he was given the captaincy over him. Campbell had already amassed 2 of his 3 caps by that point. I'm sure someone will think of an excuse though. 

Is the fact that Campbell was injured & not in the squad when Keown got his solitary England captaincy a good enough excuse not to captain him for that game?

The blazers at the FA always chose the most influential/safest individual to hold the role of captain of the English football team. They're about as risk-adverse a group of dinosaurs as you're likely to get. Proper establishment figures and the qualities you'd look for in a captain weren't particularly relevant when choosing who'd do the job. Safe pair of hands, uncontroversial, clean and unlikely to cause any waves at all.

They've always been the same.

Went to court for assault.

Shagged his team mates wife. Made a racist remark.

Cheated on his wife.

Being black.

I'm not talking about being THE captain either.

Who shagged a team mate's wife?

I see Nasri has joined into this by claiming Yaya is underrated because he's African.

As f*cking if man :lol: for starters everyone and their mother wanked over Drogba and last time i checked he's African.

And besides he's not underrated anyway, he's rated just fine.

I see Nasri has joined into this by claiming Yaya is underrated because he's African.

As f*cking if man :lol: for starters everyone and their mother wanked over Drogba and last time i checked he's African.

And besides he's not underrated anyway, he's rated just fine.

You'd argue overrated if it had to be one or the other :lol:

But like you say, he's rated just fine really. Some of the shit that gets pulled through racism is unbelievable, like.

The best African players technique is slightly under-rated. He's not directly African but Benteke scored an overhead kick the other day and all I heard was about his power, this was after his goal.

Same thing Yaya gets. Talk all day about his power and athleticism but truthfully his footballing skills are under-rated. This year he's scoring and assisting like a prime Gerrard/Lampard with quality finishes/final balls but you'll sooner hear about his athleticism.

I wouldn't call it racism. Just lazy.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...