Bolton 1 - 3 Newcastle United - 11/08/07 - Post match thoughts from page 23

BlufPurdi

Harper at fault for the goal, thought it at the time.  If he doesnt come out, he doesnt score.

if he doesn't come out anelka shoots past him from 10yds,every keeper in that situation will try to close the angle

Being on his line he wouldnt be letting it under him like that.  And if he had to come, he made the decision too late, always been his main fault, letting it through him on the move.  He was never going to save it once he made the decisions he did when he did.

do you think anelka would have tried for the exact same finish had harper stayed on his line ?

I honestly think if Harper had stayed on his line Anelka wouldnt have scored

Harper at fault for the goal, thought it at the time.  If he doesnt come out, he doesnt score.

if he doesn't come out anelka shoots past him from 10yds,every keeper in that situation will try to close the angle

Being on his line he wouldnt be letting it under him like that.  And if he had to come, he made the decision too late, always been his main fault, letting it through him on the move.  He was never going to save it once he made the decisions he did when he did.

do you think anelka would have tried for the exact same finish had harper stayed on his line ?

As Wullie said, Goalkeeping 101 is to come off your line and narrow the angle. I bet we will see hundreds of goals exactly the same this season.

As Wullie said, Goalkeeping 101 is to come off your line and narrow the angle. I bet we will see hundreds of goals exactly the same this season.

I know it is.  I didnt think the angle needed narrowing particularly as the angle was pretty narrow anyway, and as I said before, I think he made the decision to come a bit too late if that was what he decided he needed to do. 

He made Anelkas mind up for him to take it early by making his own decision too late.  Once you make the decision to stay or go, you have to stick with it.

Just thought it was a typical Harper goal to let in.  Not that I think he's a bad 2nd choice keeper mind.

Maybe we could leave a faster player back apart from Carr? Like the Zog... Carr isn't going to be the best option to defend counter-attacks.

Good point.

It was a silly goal to concede on several counts, we were 3-0 up and yet we threw everybody but two players forward for a corner. No need.

But in normal circumstances I agree with you, if we're leaving two players back then it should be players with a bit of pace because if they're needed it'll be to stop a quick breakaway. Besides, one of Carr's (few) strengths is he can hit a ball with real power, so I wouldn't mind him being one of the ones standing 30 yards out ready to leather anything that comes out of the penalty area.

Just seen an interview with Alan Smith after the match and he said at the end, " Hopefully we can push further up "

Not sure what he meant there,as we're top of the league need i have to say  :celb:

i believe that Carr overestimated his own pace after loosing 50% of his weight and decided to have a race against Anelka instead of using the offside trap ;) ...Not that easy though..

Carr's pursuit angle was awful as well, Anelka let the ball run by him, then as soon as he took a touch he rocketed past Carr.

Guest firetotheworks

As much as I dislike Phil Thompson, Ive just watched his post match analysis on ssn and he was very complimentary about how we played and about the quality in every position in the match. It was canny refreshing.

Getting some chills looking at the table and seeing Newcastle on the top line...sure it wasn't perfect but look at the buildup, most everyone was saying "I'll take a draw" and we go up 3-0 30 minutes into the match and cruise to a win. I doubt many of us were picturing this result yesterday, so let's be happy they came through for us in a big way.  :celb:

Guest sittingontheball

Their goal was a chain of errors, but Carr's was the worst. No anticipation and very slow to react. Anyroad, it didn't cost us and can be used as a reality check for the days ahead.

Its early days, so maybe it was good to take the foot of the attacking pedal second half.  Some of the lads are still not fully fit.  Viduka looks great, so lets not push him too hard.  Since its Newcastle we're watching, we can have a two goal lead and still sh!t bricks, but Bolton didn't have any clear chances.  The one chance we gave them was when we were attacking.

A great performance and a great result. Can't wait for next week!

Guest unrealterrorist

Getting some chills looking at the table and seeing Newcastle on the top line...sure it wasn't perfect but look at the buildup, most everyone was saying "I'll take a draw" and we go up 3-0 30 minutes into the match and cruise to a win. I doubt many of us were picturing this result yesterday, so let's be happy they came through for us in a big way.  :celb:

I watch the match from start to finish and our 1st half preformance was great but in the second half i can see what sam means when he says they still need a lot of fitness we ran out of steam. But i wouldnt have it any other way lets just hope we can carry the preformance over and keep it for the whole match.

Watched whole game here in Oz - much better result than I expected, although I did say before that we should get something if we scored first & kept them out for the next 20 mins.

Better side by far in 1st half, went off boil in second, although we weathered their expected charge after half-time.

Rozenhal was superb - coped  really well with the step up in pace & aggression ; looks a class defender & its a pity we never got to see him & Woodgate play together - would have been as good a Central pairing as any in the Prem, if not better.

Still problems with full-back, esp Carr ; Smith excellent, great workrate amd probably a must in midfield in away matches ; he & Butt snuffed them out, but we do need a playmaker  - urgently...

Viduka was great at holding up the ball until he tired, but looks a top acquisition - something we desperately needed - Ameobi showed his lack of pace off the mark when given  a great pass - defender simply caught him up ; not Prem class in my opinion.

Geremi was steady and involved, Milner never stopped.

We had some luck with Martins' second, but I reckon either Roz or Smith would have put N'Zogs free-kick in

even if it didn't drift across them , so all in all , a deserved win.

As Sam says, still much to be done, and we need to retain possession better when teams put us under pressure - went through a spell after their goal when we gave the ball away recklessly outside the box...

Will be interesting to see who Sam picks for first home game next week....!

Watched the match on tv, and we controlled it in the 1st half. 2nd half Bolton came at us but we managed to kill the game off. I thought Roz looked composed (though he was nearly caught out once). Overall good game played by us. Hopefully we get the 3 points next week as well off an average looking Villa side.  :thup:

Guest Hodgson09

Imagine my surprise yesterday I flick on foxsports here in australia and the football is on, i look at the top right hand corner and it says push red so i do, What do I find?

The choice of four other matches would you believe it including Newcastle v Bolton. I was over the moon need I say anymore.

Is this going to be a common occurrence?

Greatr result. We were well organised and had a bit of steel about us, not the prettiest of football, but not boring head-tennis either, which some of us feared. First half all us, second half Bolton came back a little bit, and yes they pulled a goal back, but then, we came back and shut them up again. Very very early days of course, but so far, so good. No complaints here.

I think the thing for the goal is that you shouldn't concede goals from your own corners. You always know there's a risk, so you should be able to stamp it out. Two mistakes were made, Geremi, who was lurking outside the area presumably with a brief to break up this kind of thing was too close to his man so when the ball came out he couldn't get in a decent tackle.

Then once the pass was made we ended up with Anelka vs Carr, which was about giving the job to the wrong person. Of the fullbacks we had out yesterday N'Zogbia might have been the better choice, although probably without the defensive experience for those situations. Allardyce is always going to have the centrebacks in the oppositions box for a corner though, so it's got to be one of the full backs doing the job.

So if you were to change it - at 3-0 up maybe you want to leave both fullbacks back instead of one, and Geremi to sit a little deeper so he can attack balls dropping rather than being turned by them.

Can't fault the keeper though.

Imagine my surprise yesterday I flick on foxsports here in australia and the football is on, i look at the top right hand corner and it says push red so i do, What do I find?

The choice of four other matches would you believe it including Newcastle v Bolton. I was over the moon need I say anymore.

EVERY WEEK :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

It should be, Fox is saying it will be, and should if enough people use it.

I thought i was getting it, stayed up, turned it on, and the "press red" thing aint up....

Turns out atm only foxtel people are getting it, not austar  :weep: but it should be coming to austar, just different decoders or something apparently..

Anyone else have any problems?