Cacapa! How do you think he'll do?

BONTEMPI

I've watched World Interviews with Harper and Owen, and it is clear that Cacapa has already commanded incredible respect from his team mates - they all clearly rate him, and they all clearly want him in the team.

For two players to come out after a game and without any prompting from the interviewer single the player out for real genuine praise is unprecedented for a Newcastle defender.

Waiting to see how he does against better opposition, but he looks very comfortable. Not quick at all though, hopefully he'll be playing alongside someone quicker, like Faye or Taylor.

Roz is pretty fast tbh.

I am going to try to grow a Cacapa beard in honor of the legend.

Him and Rozenhal looked decent today, they were never really tested but their ability to retain possession while remaining calm impressed me, as does Rozenhal's distribution which is very good too.

Much better than last season when the likes of Bramble or Carr would just hoof it up the field, It pisses me right off when defenders just hack at the ball even thou they aint under pressure.

Cult hero in the making, most definitely.

I've never been this confident about/happy with our central defensive options.

Same here i used to get nervous when a team was attacking us just because i wasnt confident with our defence, It used to really piss me off when the pundits or commentary would say "With this defence you know they will gift you a chance atleast once".

I know its only 5 games in but so far we look solid and with the expierence and leadership in defence im confident that when we go 1-0 up we can hold on and not buckle like we have become a custom too.

Of the eight defenders we have, nine if you include Edgar (Ramage is KO'ed for this season) I'd actually be alright seeing ANY of them in the starting eleven, which is exactly what you need/want from your squad. Of course Carr and Babayaro aren't my favourite players and aren't anywhere near top-class, but they're adequate and have been our first-choice pairing at fullback since Souness signed Babayaro in January 2005.

When you think the weakest defence out of that lot we can probably field is Carr - Taylor - Edgar - Babayaro these days, it shows how far we've come in this transfer window when you consider that last season we'd have had something like Huntington - Taylor - Ramage - Edgar from our first nine defenders (did we have that many defenders under Souness/Roeder?).

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of Caçapa with Beye and Enrique at full-back. An entirely new back-four (+1) is more than I expected from this window, personally.

I've watched World Interviews with Harper and Owen, and it is clear that Cacapa has already commanded incredible respect from his team mates - they all clearly rate him, and they all clearly want him in the team.

For two players to come out after a game and without any prompting from the interviewer single the player out for real genuine praise is unprecedented for a Newcastle defender.

What did they say?

Cult hero in the making, most definitely.

I've never been this confident about/happy with our central defensive options.

Same here i used to get nervous when a team was attacking us just because i wasnt confident with our defence, It used to really piss me off when the pundits or commentary would say "With this defence you know they will gift you a chance atleast once".

I know its only 5 games in but so far we look solid and with the expierence and leadership in defence im confident that when we go 1-0 up we can hold on and not buckle like we have become a custom too.

:laugh:

Sorry.

I am impressed with him what really surprised me is our previous mangers didn't even check him out when we scream for proper defenders for ages it is quite amazing.

Not really when you consider that the previous two were useles buggers whom we unfortunately called managers!

• 6 months later...

Aye a groin problem, he is a player worth keeping though I think, yes he did make a few mistakes but also showed some class. Deffo give him another season..

I dunno, I rate him as a player but his injury record is abysmal.  He's ten years older than Milner, but has only played about five more games in his entire career.

Aye a groin problem, he is a player worth keeping though I think, yes he did make a few mistakes but also showed some class. Deffo give him another season..

I dunno, I rate him as a player but his injury record is abysmal.  He's ten years older than Milner, but has only played about five more games in his entire career.

Milner has actually played considerably more games in his career than Cacapa.

I heard that rumour at the start of the season but thought it was innaccurate. He's probably played about the same amount of games now but I think Cacapa had played about 20 more before this season started. Still shows how injury-prone Cacapa is though.

I can imagine he'll be 4th choice, at best, next year. If he's still here at all that is.

I'd bet we'll be looking to bring in a really top-class CB, with Faye and Taylor then competing to partner him in the center of defence, with the other being first reserve.

Cacapa would be a good presence in the squad and decent in an emergency, experienced and has a cool head. He'd probably be injured when we need him though, mind you. :lol:

I heard that rumour at the start of the season but thought it was innaccurate. He's probably played about the same amount of games now but I think Cacapa had played about 20 more before this season started. Still shows how injury-prone Cacapa is though.

According to the bbc Cacapa has 170 career appearances and Milner 231.

He'll probably go i reckon.

Bugger. :(  I like(d) Caçapa. Only time he ever disgraced himself was that Portsmouth game. He hasn't had many bad games for us at all as far as i'm concerned.