Steve McClaren

Dave

I remember him for Boro, they were very boring, but he was a huge success there and it's a sad state of affairs that he isn't recognised more. If he delivered a trophy and a European final here he would be immortalised without doubt. I think under him we would play the game in the right way at least if not always in the best way, that youngsters would be given a chance and that coaching wise we would see lots of improvement. I doubt we would finish top 6 though and for me even under this c*** of an owner, that is the place a club or our standing should be aiming for. He would be an upgrade on Pardew, but a bit meh as appointments go and I actually rate and like the man.

:thup:  Always privileged to read your comments.

McClaren is a 6/10, which is poor until you compare with Carver's 2/10.

We can and should do better but I'm so petrified of Ashley, I'd take Sccchteve. He's even fairly likeable. I'm just desperate to support my team again :(

McClaren is a 6/10, which is poor until you compare with Carver's 2/10.

We can and should do better but I'm so petrified of Ashley, I'd take Sccchteve. He's even fairly likeable. I'm just desperate to support my team again :(

Every week Schteve describes the teams performance in interviews as Magnificent whether they've won 6 nil or been humped 6 nil.

I'm all for stuff being kept behind closed doors but I'd like a bit of honesty as well.

If we were poor let's just tell it like it is and say we were poor.

Hardly the same thing given the clubs both won trophies with.

So how has Steve done at bigger positions?

Embarrassed on both occasions. I guess now we are becoming a smaller club, happy with midtable finishes we might be a better fit. But he's not the manager to get us in the top 8 consistently imo.

You have to look at our current circumstances and who we've had in charge over the last 4 years.

When Pardew went we were linked with Garde, we salivated over the prospect of Tuchel and Galtier. Listen, now we're stuck with John Carver.

I'd take McLaren without a doubt. A higher profile appointment from overseas would obviously be better, but our track record isn't great is it?

This is arguably the biggest summer we've had for years. We're down to the bare bones in terms of both bodies and quality - we need heavy investment but that will mean fuck all without a good 'head coach'.

Bring down expectations = happy with McLaren. great job Mike.

Let's be honest, our expectations are rock bottom at the moment. I can't remember the last time I watched us play and enjoyed it.

Guest Gino14

Boro indeed. The fans there wanted him sacked for years.

Wrong, by and large the vast majority thought he was doing just fine but a good chunk had ideas way above their station and wanted better. My mate says he will eventually go down as the best manager they have ever had unless they achieve a whole lot more in the coming years.

I lived there for 5 years. Very few supporters I ever came across had good things to say about him. They all knew he'd fail miserably with England.

I have quite a few Middlesbrough supporting friends who celebrated him leaving like it was a World Cup win.  I didn't know a single fan who was gutted by him leaving.  Even though he was doing a reasonable job with results and standing, the Football was regarded as utterly turgid and there was a feeling of them being on the decline with him having taken them as far as he could.  His impact had worn out and the freshness of his approach was gone, which is what tends to happen with many of the okay, but not particularly great managers.

Guest Incandenza

Embarrassed on both occasions. I guess now we are becoming a smaller club, happy with midtable finishes we might be a better fit. But he's not the manager to get us in the top 8 consistently imo.

He was at Wolfsburg for 6 months under a shithouse setup. Thats the only 'big' club job hes had. It would be churlish to draw any firm conclusions from that.

I've said it before but if McClaren is underwhelming, who exactly is overwhelming? Who do you rank higher on your imaginary short-list? Out of the candidates linked I'd rate them as:

Great appointments: Benitez, Tuchel (Both extremely unlikely and barely worth mentioning)

Good appointments: De Boer, McClaren, Garde, Galtier

Dissapointing/underwhelming appointments: Laudrup, Bilic, Warbuton, Labaddia

Ghastly appointments: Carver, Redknapp, Bruce

By my estimation McClaren is in probably the top bracket of managers we could get.

Guest Gino14

McLaren is a cut above Pardew and he's a Fillet Steak compared to the ground offal of Carver.  It's a sad indictment of how the club is under Ashley that it's the best we can hope for though.  He's a manager with arguably the best squad in the Championship and he may be on course to fail at getting them promotion for a second year in a row.

He was at Wolfsburg for 6 months under a shithouse setup. Thats the only 'big' club job hes had. It would be churlish to draw any firm conclusions from that.

I've said it before but if McClaren is underwhelming, who exactly is overwhelming? Who do you rank higher on your imaginary short-list? Out of the candidates linked I'd rate them as:

Great appointments: Benitez, Tuchel (Both extremely unlikely and barely worth mentioning)

Good appointments: De Boer, McClaren, Garde, Galtier

Dissapointing/underwhelming appointments: Laudrup, Bilic, Warbuton, Labaddia

Ghastly appointments: Carver, Redknapp, Bruce

By my estimation McClaren is in probably the top bracket of managers we could get.

I'd take Laudrup or Bilic in an instant, this is Mike Ashley ffs.

Guest Incandenza

McLaren is a cut above Pardew and he's a Fillet Steak compared to the ground offal of Carver.  It's a sad indictment of how the club is under Ashley that it's the best we can hope for though.  He's a manager with arguably the best squad in the Championship and he may be on course to fail at getting them promotion for a second year in a row.

I see no reason why Derby 'should' be finishing in the top two. I cannot fathom why so many people seem here to think they up there in spite of McClaren, rather because of him. In the five years prior to McClaren joining Derby they finished 18th, 14th, 19th, 12th and 10th. They were nowhere near promotion when he went there and are now on course for a second consecutive playoff campaign. By any metric he has done a great job.