Steve McClaren

Dave

I know that I'm alone in this, but I think it would be a decent appointment. He will clearly have a role in transfers, if he and Carr see eye to eye as is said. Hopefully he will have some influence with the higher echelons.

He's also got a pretty decent track record, and knows the area. My main concern is that he's unlikely to bring back flair football, as can be seen from his hot and cold relationship with Juninho, but given the utter shite we've had to put up with over the past few years I'm willing to give him a chance.

As I said in Vieira thread. Once carver fucked it up there was only one man considered. Cheap, mate of carr, won't cause much of a fuss and grateful to get a job in the PL. What a fuckin desperate club this is. New start my fuckin arse

I know that I'm alone in this, but I think it would be a decent appointment. He will clearly have a role in transfers, if he and Carr see eye to eye as is said. Hopefully he will have some influence with the higher echelons.

He's also got a pretty decent track record, and knows the area. My main concern is that he's unlikely to bring back flair football, as can be seen from his hot and cold relationship with Juninho, but given the utter shite we've had to put up with over the past few years I'm willing to give him a chance.

Unambitious appointment.

Really sad to see people on here accepting and trying to rationalise this like a battered house wife. Read the title, then his managerial history and wake up.

:thup:

The better than Carver and Pardew brigade.

Let's see who West ham appoint to give us an idea of what some ambition could have got us.

I think he's definitely a good coach and is well thought of in the game, but he hasn't succeeded as a manager anywhere other than Twente, and has had more clubs in his career already than I've had hot dinners. I suppose if you'd asked me when we still had Pardew if I'd have preferred McClaren, I'd probably have said yes. Small victories.  :crazy2:

Really sad to see people on here accepting and trying to rationalise this like a battered house wife. Read the title, then his managerial history and wake up.

:thup: I understand why people need to look after some positives, but this appointment just shows nothing has changed. Appointing Carver would probably be too much of a risk even for Ashley, so he goes for the second cheapest option. Could hardly be less inspiring. There's so many decent managers out there now, but here we are, appointing the sacked guy from fucking Derby.

Do you want us to end up with Carver again ffs!?

Apart from Redknapp, who turned us down before and is essentially retired, McClaren is the last English manager to win a trophy. The club will say this is evidence that we're now taking the cups seriously and have hired a proven winner

It is pretty uninspiring but lets not forget this is what we do.

Better than Pardew, infinitely better than Carver and I'm not particularly disappointed to be honest. Just need to see who we get in player wise. Vieira was exciting because he was unknown. Not successful or well regarded as a manager, but unknown. Don't get me wrong, I'd have preferred we'd taken a risk on him over McClaren but I'd also have preferred McClaren over Pardew, Carver, Kinnear and anyone else who realisitically could have been appointed.

McClaren was working under Alex Ferguson for two years and, despite how long ago it was, did manage to finish runners up and then league champions with an unfancied team in Holland, plus played some good stuff with Derby - he's obviously not a complete mug.

In reference to others saying his record is shit etc, what about OUR record? Not in terms of trophies but in terms of managerial appointments since Keegan in 1992:

Dalglish - Decent pedigree but shite

Gullit - Shite

Sir Bobby - Different class

Souness - Shite

Roeder - Pretty shite

Allardyce - Shite

Keegan - Shafted over

Kinnear - Shite

Shearer - Shite

Hughton - Likeable, great achivement to get us promoted but not good enough

Pardew - Shite

Carver - The absolute shittest of the shite

One good appointment in 16 years? McClaren could easily be shite but he could also be decent, just like Vieira could have been. Christ, had Pardew's ego not got the better of him and we'd stuck with that 4-3-3 when we finished fifth, he could have turned out very differently (doesn't detract from the fact he was a massive bell end mind).

If it is McClaren I wouldn't be too disappointed.