Steve McClaren

Dave

"Before McClaren, we were the Championship equivalent of Sunderland, the last 2 seasons we have been equivalent of Southampton.

That may not be an achievement for you, I don't know your experiences as a Derby fan, I don't even know if you ARE a Derby fan ffs!

But as I say, the 2 best seasons in the last 8 were last season and this just gone!"

Enjoyed this post off the Derby forum :lol:

McClaren was the only real contender for the job after Newcastle decided not to pursue their interest in Patrick Viera.

'The only real contender for the job', the guy just recently sacked from a second-division side that he failed to even take into the promotion playoffs. What a pathetic fucking club this is.

He did so fantastically well with Derby that they sacked him.

It usually transpires that a lot of the managers who come up from the Championship aren't good enough for the Premier League. Our fans are busy trying to convince themselves that one who couldn't even manage the play-offs is good enough for Newcastle United. Christ.

You liked Chris Hughton didn't you? He failed to get Birmingham promoted (before they went to shit), Rodgers failed to get Reading promoted....pretty sure there'll be other examples.

I'm sure there's enough reasons to oppose his appointment but I think this is a poor reason.

He's not impressed right now, but if he does get the gig, he will soon be hanging out of both his and the clubs hoop as per usual. I cannot understand why anybody would get into journalism to be nothing more than a brown nose.

He did so fantastically well with Derby that they sacked him.

It usually transpires that a lot of the managers who come up from the Championship aren't good enough for the Premier League. Our fans are busy trying to convince themselves that one who couldn't even manage the play-offs is good enough for Newcastle United. Christ.

You liked Chris Hughton didn't you? He failed to get Birmingham promoted (before they went to shit), Rodgers failed to get Reading promoted....pretty sure there'll be other examples.

I'm sure there's enough reasons to oppose his appointment but I think this is a poor reason.

Why don't all Premier League clubs do their managerial shopping amongst the Championship mid-table then?

You can't hire a manager just sacked by a Championship side and claim it's anything other than outrageous negligence, again. Would Everton, Spurs, Southampton hire this mug? Why aren't West Ham absolutely battering his door down?

Like Pardew, he is seriously damaged goods, with good reason.

McClaren is no Pardew. I wouldn't personally appoint him but I think he'd pick his best players available, a formation & system suited to the players he has available, and actually have his own game plan, unlike Pardew.

Yep, said it all along, he's Ashley's wet dream, damaged goods from a lower league so will be grateful for chance.

He's exactly what Pardew was in terms of an appointment.

Everyone Ashley appoints is out of their depth. Look at Charnley, Llambias, Carver, Pardew etc etc etc.

He appoints yes men who are always going to be in his debt so will do whatever he wants.

It's no coincidence that a guy with bollocks (PV) had a conversation that lasted less than two seconds. He probably dared to question our fucked up approach/model.

This is the fundamental issue with Ashley. Yes he might throw a few quid at this summer on some signings, but deep down he's always appoint nobodies.

If he had any sort of vision, he'd make a 'Keegan-esque' appoint as a game-changer.

McClaren is no Pardew. I wouldn't personally appoint him but I think he'd pick his best players available, a formation & system suited to the players he has available, and actually have his own game plan, unlike Pardew.

He was criticised in the local Derby press for picking unrecognisable systems and putting square pegs in round holes towards the end of the season.

He's in now way going to entertain a fanbase who want to see sustained attractive football. If we 'can't compete' with the 'big boys' then the very least we should demand is an entertaining side.

You must feel that Derby have made a catastrophic mistake in sacking a manager way above their current station then?

I don't. I'd rather roll the dice with someone like Clement ten times out of ten instead of a proven loser like McClaren.

If we were actually going to give a chance to a sacked Championship manager, the bloke at Brentford is the one to go for, given their standing compared to a big club like Derby. McClaren is a soiled mattress.

I've openly said I'd rather roll the dice on someone like Vieira, Karanka, Clement, even a Ketsbaia.

I don't think McClaren will do bad with the tools he gets given anyway. Underawed by it? Definitely. But I don't think he's the end of the world.

I've openly said I'd rather roll the dice on someone like Vieira, Karanka, Clement, even a Ketsbaia.

I don't think McClaren will do bad with the tools he gets given anyway. Underawed by it? Definitely. But I don't think he's the end of the world.

:thup:

How reliable is beanbagsports?  :lol:

Never heard of it but Bob Cass has been around for ages, used to write for the Daily Mail.

He used to co-commentate on us for Metro Radio with Charles Harrison in the very early 80's as well.

Well known and respected old school NE Journalist.

Depends how you define the end of the world. He'll probably ensure Premier League safety by playing an incredibly dour brand of football. To me, that's worst case scenario and means more years in the wilderness for me as a Newcastle fan. That's what we had. Ashley has found his new Pardew to do the same job.

Depends how you define the end of the world. He'll probably ensure Premier League safety by playing an incredibly dour brand of football. To me, that's worst case scenario and means more years in the wilderness for me as a Newcastle fan. That's what we had. Ashley has found his new Pardew to do the same job.

Totally agree. Dour bloke, dour football, dour ideas, dour NUFC.

Awful appointment for this reason.

Totally agree. Dour bloke, dour football, dour ideas, dour NUFC.

Awful appointment for this reason.

Ad infinitum.

This. Just more years with feelings of nothingness/hate watching us. I'm tired of wanting us to lose spectacularily, but don't see McClaren as the person who'd change that.

I personally think he'll turn it down. We'll end up with carver.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if this happens. He has turned us down twice before in the past six months, so clearly he doesn't think we're all that. This club man, whoring ourselves to a sacked Championship manager who has failed at his last four jobs with the most likely alternative being the worst (?) Premier League caretaker manager the competition has ever seen. :lol:

You really should be hoping that Carver gets the job, it's the best bet for motivating enough fans to continue with the protests against Ashley. Sadly though I think he's not that stupid and he's going to placate St James regulars by unveiling McClaren, former England manager as the next boss.

There will be one difference, Pardew was totally ignored on transfer policy in favour of Carr. McClaren might not have much say either but supposedly he's good mates with Carr so at least there might be some compatibility in football philosophy. If nothing else that means we might get better prices when we sell players on.

I personally think he'll turn it down. We'll end up with carver.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if this happens. He has turned us down twice before in the past six months, so clearly he doesn't think we're all that. This club man, whoring ourselves to a sacked Championship manager who has failed at his last four jobs with the most likely alternative being the worst (?) Premier League caretaker manager the competition has ever seen. :lol:

You really should be hoping that Carver gets the job, it's the best bet for motivating enough fans to continue with the protests against Ashley. Sadly though I think he's not that stupid and he's going to placate St James regulars by unveiling McClaren, former England manager as the next boss.

:thup:

I've got this idea that Sunderland or West Ham sign him up, to leave Ashley grasping at thin air. But then I remember that sovereign nations like those will have bigger fish to fry...