Steve McClaren

Dave

I can't say I've noticed it a lot in other games.  But it seemed as if they were under direct orders to let Bournemouth have the ball until the final third?  I've never seen so many players backing off and refusing to close down.  The players seemed to be jogging back, away from the ball carrier.  So lazy going with runners as well. We would lose the ball, then just retreat.  It was shambolic.  If that isn't coming from the manager, then we have a load of gutless fuckers and the manager has no control over the team.  I don't think that's the case though.  It seemed like that was our tactics for the day.  Worrying. 

I'll take playing so badly and managing to win.  It was a '6 pointer' after all.  But being played off the park, by the team that are also battling relegation, scares the shit out of me.

We need to be far more positive going forward and look to the Norwich game as the blueprint.  Trying to keep it tight and nick a goal with this team.  Will lead to a lot of heavy defeats. 

I wonder what an ideal Steve McClaren team looks like.

I would consider Pardew someone a very poor man's Jose. His ideal team is close to this Palace side. Plenty of 6'2+ players, hard working, aggressive, great on the counter, players with "magic" to win the games. He needs players willing to put their body on the line and graft hard because they'll be defending a lot of the time and be happy to fight on the back foot.

With Steve I have no idea. He has a passing philosophy but it's very slow. He seems to know in the PL he needs a more physical team but I don't know to what extent. I have no idea what type of temperament he needs from a player.

SM is definitely NOT the progressing person / manager / coach some people would have us believe, clear as day that's not the case.  OK our shocking start to his reign and our season has only compounded the need to graft out wins and the expense of any style or substance.

Either way, our squad is a major reason we are not doing well, not just him.  I am under no doubt a better manager would get more from these players but the reality is there is a horrible lack of competition and we are currently replying on has been players or those that are simply not up to scratch.

Colo

Taylor

Colback

Tiote

Really have no place and they are all (bar injuries) the first names on the sheet.  I would put Anita into that bracket as well.

Then you have 3 french players that should not be anywhere the first time and Thauvin who IMO is another Cabella.

Hardly surprising that Sissoko and the others of merit dont turn up regularly enough.

We are in that Sunderland bracket of clubs now for managers.

Nah, no way.

I think with the proper set up at board level, we'd be a good option for a lot of decent managers.

The board defines what bracket the club is though.

If the Ghost of Steve Jobs rocked up as CEO of Wonga i'd believe in them too.

Being manager of NUFC means Charnley as your boss and Big Mike as the owner/leader. Kenwright would land the manager over us anyday.

Went from Keegan, Dalglish, Gullit and Robson to Allardyce, Kinnear, Pardew & McClaren

Forget how good or bad a manager those first 4 men where. They are legends of the game. Left a mark on the sport. It says a lot about a club that they want to align themselves with those people as it does the second 4. From an aspiring club to a club "getting by". From hiring winners to men that can come in and do a job.

All this talk about Pardew getting the England job is bollocks, but I can definitely see Howe getting it a few years down the line. I think he'll do well when he gets a job at a big club.

Theyre not a 'big club' but he struggled at burnley quite a bit, I agree he could be class, but he needs another job to see how he does first imo.

Went from Keegan, Dalglish, Gullit and Robson to Allardyce, Kinnear, Pardew & McClaren

Forget how good or bad a manager those first 4 men where. They are legends of the game. Left a mark on the sport. It says a lot about a club that they want to align themselves with those people as it does the second 4. From an aspiring club to a club "getting by". From hiring winners to men that can come in and do a job.

:thup:

Sure that's right but you're only as good as the owner allows you to be in terms of Newcastle.

If Ashley was a normal club owner or didn't have Lee Charnley as managing director we'd have had Garde or someone of his ilk long ago. We've taken the cheap route every single time under Ashley and that's all to do with the owner looking for the minimum requirement every time.

Sunderland could never attract what we could, ever. All things being equal.

Sure that's right but you're only as good as the owner allows you to be in terms of Newcastle.

If Ashley was a normal club owner or didn't have Lee Charnley as managing director we'd have had Garde or someone of his ilk long ago. We've taken the cheap route every single time under Ashley and that's all to do with the owner looking for the minimum requirement every time.

Sunderland could never attract what we could, ever. All things being equal.

I'm sorry but Garde has proven absolutely jack all as a manager apart from doing a relatively average job with Lille. Could he be the next Ancelotti? Absolutely, but he's nothing as a manager yet.

Exactly, Garde still sticks out listed next to those names at the moment. Wasn't a world class player and is currently a promising manager who did a solid job at Lyon.

My point is, EVERY club is only as good as it's Owner / people in charge.

Some clubs can have fairly dodgy people in charge but they'll have money and infrastructure, culture to make things work (ala Barcelona or recent Man Utd). Most are only as good as the Owner/MD.

There's not really any evidence that Garde is better than McClaren, although I would have been more excited by him.

agreed.

who was the other lyon manager who was wanted by a lot of people on here an dhe went to rangers and did nowt?

(this has nowt to do with it by the way, ex lyon manager just reminded me).