Steve McClaren

Dave

I'd swap him with Howe in a heartbeat.

Neither here not there that. You'd swap mcclaren for the best young English manager around? Well I'm staggered.

We must have the only managerial headhunter in the game who doesn't watch football then.

Eh? Give over man.

Howe would want his head testing coming anywhere near us, and they know it.

well, aye, but the opportunity to manage literally one of the biggest clubs in europe might appeal eh?  he wouldn't be the first

plus we must pay better than bournemouth

I can forgive a bad performance as we've played relatively well for large chunks of the last 5 games or so, today was just a mixture of some poor individual performances and our weakness when we play this shape against 3 man mids. It just wasn't happening for a few of them today, especially going forward, and it was a good move to shore things up, IMO. Some of the tracking from out wide was absolutely abysmal, like. The subs didn't make sense to me but I thought they both helped to make us more solid.

Neither here not there that. You'd swap mcclaren for the best young English manager around? Well I'm staggered.

We must have the only managerial headhunter in the game who doesn't watch football then.

Eh? Give over man. It doesn't matter who or what they watch.

Great. We can't even attract relegation fodder managers from piddly lower division clubs now.

Just watched his interview. I like him. I still think he's the right man to take us forward.

I hope he is too as I like him. I think he's more than aware of where our problems are but is struggling to do anything about it at the moment. We need to get to Christmas without being adrift and spend some money.

Those subs were absolutely fucking bonkers today.

If they had of nicked an equaliser today, he would have been rinsed and rightly so.

I thought the Cisse sub was very poor but as others have mentioned Bournemouth did considerably less after it was made. Might have had more to do with them tiring, mind.

Not a good performance and I hated the Cisse sub, BUT...

1) They were less threatening after we made a couple changes. This may have been partially down to tired legs, but I think moving Wijnaldum inside and putting on a winger made a difference. Personally I'd like to see Perez up top and Thauvin on for Mitrovic if he wants to make that change. Cisse is finished.

2) Today's performance was bad and we lost the derby, but we've gotten 7 points from our last four games. That's something.

As w*** as Cisse is, he's more of an outball than Perez is like.

why do we need an outball?  no one who plays against us needs one :lol:

When you're playing deep and trying to defend a lead (not that I'm condoning this as a way of playing), it goes without saying that you need some sort of focal point up top. As much as I like Perez, he's too small and not strong enough in the air to lead the line by himself. Mitrovic is the ideal choice but Cisse, shit as he is, is more suited to the role than Perez.

FWIW almost all teams in the league have a striker for this purpose - Pelle/Southampton, Gomis/Swansea, Costa/Chelsea, Giroud/Arsenal, Benteke/Liverpool.

Not a good performance and I hated the Cisse sub, BUT...

1) They were less threatening after we made a couple changes. This may have been partially down to tired legs, but I think moving Wijnaldum inside and putting on a winger made a difference. Personally I'd like to see Perez up top and Thauvin on for Mitrovic if he wants to make that change. Cisse is finished.

2) Today's performance was bad and we lost the derby, but we've gotten 7 points from our last four games. That's something.

As w*** as Cisse is, he's more of an outball than Perez is like.

why do we need an outball?  no one who plays against us needs one :lol:

When you're playing deep and trying to defend a lead (not that I'm condoning this as a way of playing), it goes without saying that you need some sort of focal point up top. As much as I like Perez, he's too small and not strong enough in the air to lead the line by himself. Mitrovic is the ideal choice but Cisse, shit as he is, is more suited to the role than Perez.

FWIW almost all teams in the league have a striker for this purpose - Pelle/Southampton, Gomis/Swansea, Costa/Chelsea, Giroud/Arsenal, Benteke/Liverpool.

is this a joke?  he fucking took mitrovic off :lol:

Eh? Give over man.

well, aye, but the opportunity to manage literally one of the biggest clubs in europe might appeal eh?  he wouldn't be the first

Have you been in a coma? As a club we're spent, thanks to Ashley.

I agree with your point, but Cisse is not that. He's a poacher on his best day. He's not an outlet and his idea of good positioning is three yards offside. Perez can at least control a ball and play a smart pass.

I'm not saying Cisse is, but he's better at contesting long balls at height than Perez is. If you're going to take Mitrovic off - which was a baffling sub in the first place - Cisse is probably a better choice (although obviously a poor one in the grander scheme of things) for a target man than Perez.

Just watched his interview. I like him. I still think he's the right man to take us forward.

Yeah, I'm encouraged by him. He tells it like it is. We have played decently for the majority of games this season. I think he deserves a bit of time to get the squad how he likes it, plenty of signs that he's changing the mentality of the squad and 5 years of Pardew is going to take a lot of work to change.

Yeah, I'm encouraged by him. He tells it like it is. We have played decently for the majority of games this season. I think he deserves a bit of time to get the squad how he likes it, plenty of signs that he's changing the mentality of the squad and 5 years of Pardew is going to take a lot of work to change.

Pretty much this :thup:

We've been playing well recently and got fuck all to show for it, in a way its refreshing to play absolute shite and get a win, even if it was an insult to the eyes.

I just don't get this "I like him, he's honest" business. I'd rather have a complete cunt in charge who knows how to set up a football team. This guy seems to be another Pardew, scared of his own shadow with the two defensive midfielder nonsense.

I just don't get this "I like him, he's honest" business. I'd rather have a complete cunt in charge who knows how to set up a football team. This guy seems to be another Pardew, scared of his own shadow with the two defensive midfielder nonsense.

I'd hardly say he's another Pardew like.

Eh? Give over man.

Have you been in a coma? As a club we're spent, thanks to Ashley.

financially we're still top 20 and i'm sure stature-wise have a big pull

I think he's going with what he's got, fully aware of our limitations. I don't think it's a coincidence that he's using our more limited players to enable our better players to do their thing. For example, there's always one of Anita or Colback sat at right back for periods whilst Janmaat pushes on.

If he gets a couple more players in January I will be significantly more judgemental of him.

I'd hardly say he's another Pardew like.

He doesn't hoof it long, but he still sets up too defensively. The midfield doesn't work and he's not changing it, so he's just another fraud as far as I'm concerned.