Steve McClaren

Dave

I'd swap him with Howe in a heartbeat.

Neither here not there that. You'd swap mcclaren for the best young English manager around? Well I'm staggered.

We must have the only managerial headhunter in the game who doesn't watch football then.

Eh? Give over man.

Howe would want his head testing coming anywhere near us, and they know it.

well, aye, but the opportunity to manage literally one of the biggest clubs in europe might appeal eh?  he wouldn't be the first

plus we must pay better than bournemouth

Have you been in a coma? As a club we're spent, thanks to Ashley.

financially we're still top 20 and i'm sure stature-wise have a big pull

But ignoring some arbitrary list about money, the fact is that we don't pay big wages, actively avoid progression in cup competitions, rarely qualify for European qualifications and battle towards the bottom of the table more regularly than we do the top.. or even the middle.

I get what you're saying, yeah Newcastle may still have some pulling power because of the name, the history etc., but to say we're 'literally one of the biggest clubs in Europe' is so far off the mark. It pains me to say it, but we're a shadow of what we were. Even our stadium is an eyesore now-a-days.

Neither here not there that. You'd swap mcclaren for the best young English manager around? Well I'm staggered.

We must have the only managerial headhunter in the game who doesn't watch football then.

Eh? Give over man.

well, aye, but the opportunity to manage literally one of the biggest clubs in europe might appeal eh?  he wouldn't be the first

But ignoring some arbitrary list about money, the fact is that we don't pay big wages, actively avoid progression in cup competitions, rarely qualify for European qualifications and battle towards the bottom of the table more regularly than we do the top.. or even the middle.

I get what you're saying, yeah Newcastle may still have some pulling power because of the name, the history etc., but to say we're 'literally one of the biggest clubs in Europe' is so far off the mark. It pains me to say it, but we're a shadow of what we were. Even our stadium is an eyesore now-a-days.

wasn't the point about eddie fucking howe? :lol:

i thought it was, not jurgen klopp....if it was klopp then ok but i thought it was howe

Just watched his interview. I like him. I still think he's the right man to take us forward.

Yeah, I'm encouraged by him. He tells it like it is. We have played decently for the majority of games this season. I think he deserves a bit of time to get the squad how he likes it, plenty of signs that he's changing the mentality of the squad and 5 years of Pardew is going to take a lot of work to change.

I just don't get this "I like him, he's honest" business. I'd rather have a complete cunt in charge who knows how to set up a football team. This guy seems to be another Pardew, scared of his own shadow with the two defensive midfielder nonsense.

I think he's going with what he's got, fully aware of our limitations. I don't think it's a coincidence that he's using our more limited players to enable our better players to do their thing. For example, there's always one of Anita or Colback sat at right back for periods whilst Janmaat pushes on.

If he gets a couple more players in January I will be significantly more judgemental of him.

I can see the reasoning you are going for there, but the fact is we were getting pissed on for 60 mins and he didn't change it. Take a forward off and bring on an extra midfielder if you are getting overrun. Don't play two defensive midfielders who get in each others way. This what managers are paid for.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd like him to be the stepping stone from the s**** of the Pardew/carver time into a more promising future. Stabilize the club, install some foundations and then have someone ready for the next level to come in.

There are managers out there that can stabilize, lay foundations and still take us forward to the next level. McClaren will not do anything at this club other than perhaps relegate us.

Just watched his interview. I like him. I still think he's the right man to take us forward.

Yeah, I'm encouraged by him. He tells it like it is. We have played decently for the majority of games this season. I think he deserves a bit of time to get the squad how he likes it, plenty of signs that he's changing the mentality of the squad and 5 years of Pardew is going to take a lot of work to change.

I just don't get this "I like him, he's honest" business. I'd rather have a complete c*** in charge who knows how to set up a football team. This guy seems to be another Pardew, scared of his own shadow with the two defensive midfielder nonsense.

I'd hardly say he's another Pardew like.

He doesn't hoof it long, but he still sets up too defensively. The midfield doesn't work and he's not changing it, so he's just another fraud as far as I'm concerned.

He set us up more offensively earlier on in the season and we got battered, keeping space tight seems to be our best bet. The CM problem isn't as easy as it sounds. Our defence does need a lot of protection and we do need CMs in there that are happy to put in the dirty work, as unfashionable as that is to say, as a result. Wijnaldum and Anita as a pair seems like utter suicide, as there's no steel between them at all (not to mention Wijnaldum will never have played in a midfield 2 in his life). Tiote-Wijnaldum might be passable on paper but I think both of them need protection/ground covering by their partner (for different reasons). SMC has instead pushed full backs up more, moved the 2 wide lads inwards and got the CMs to drop back - it's not a long term solution but we've been better since we started doing it.

I just don't get this "I like him, he's honest" business. I'd rather have a complete c*** in charge who knows how to set up a football team. This guy seems to be another Pardew, scared of his own shadow with the two defensive midfielder nonsense.

He doesn't hoof it long, but he still sets up too defensively. The midfield doesn't work and he's not changing it, so he's just another fraud as far as I'm concerned.

He set us up more offensively earlier on in the season and we got battered, keeping space tight seems to be our best bet. The CM problem isn't as easy as it sounds. Our defence does need a lot of protection and we do need CMs in there that are happy to put in the dirty work, as unfashionable as that is to say, as a result. Wijnaldum and Anita as a pair seems like utter suicide, as there's no steel between them at all (not to mention Wijnaldum will never have played in a midfield 2 in his life). Tiote-Wijnaldum might be passable on paper but I think both of them need protection/ground covering by their partner (for different reasons). SMC has instead pushed full backs up more, moved the 2 wide lads inwards and got the CMs to drop back - it's not a long term solution but we've been better since we started doing it.

Like I said in the previous post, that's all very well at the start of the game, but it wasn't working and he didn't change it. We got pissed on for 80 mins and a side with premier finishers would have put 5 past us.

Like I said in the previous post, that's all very well at the start of the game, but it wasn't working and he didn't change it. We got p*ssed on for 80 mins and a side with premier finishers would have put 5 past us.

He gave it a chance for players to get themselves sorted after half time and it didn't work (we've played plenty of 3 man mids over the last few weeks and still been able to perform). He made the sub and changed to a 5 man mid after 62 mins, Bournemouth were much quieter after that.

Eh? Give over man.

wasn't the point about eddie f***ing howe? :lol:

i thought it was, not jurgen klopp....if it was klopp then ok but i thought it was howe

I didn't mention Klopp once. Infact I didn't mention Howe once, I just pointed out that your statement of us being one of the biggest clubs in Europe was bollocks. Apologies if you failed to follow this.

In terms of Howe, he's been with Bournemouth for two different spells and taken them from League 2 to the Premiership. If he was to leave the club I doubt it'd be for a team that doesn't show ambition, infact he'd probably see Newcastle as a sideways step given how restricted he'd be by the clueless fuckers in charge. And even if he was interested to the point of having sit-down talks with the club, 5 minutes in a room with Dizzy the Egg will be enough to have him on the first train back to the south coast.

Eh? Give over man.

I didn't mention Klopp once. Infact I didn't mention Howe once, I just pointed out that your statement of us being one of the biggest clubs in Europe was bollocks. Apologies if you failed to follow this.

In terms of Howe, he's been with Bournemouth for two different spells and taken them from League 2 to the Premiership. If he was to leave the club I doubt it'd be for a team that doesn't show ambition, infact he'd probably see Newcastle as a sideways step given how restricted he'd be by the clueless fuckers in charge. And even if he was interested to the point of having sit-down talks with the club, 5 minutes in a room with Dizzy the Egg will be enough to have him on the first train back to the south coast.

I think he'd love to be Newcastle manager personally, but you're right, 5 mins with Humpty Dumpty would probably put paid to that.

Uninspiring and mediocre.

We will stumble about with him and make little or no progression as a squad or team imo.

Money wasted.

Seems to have some luck though.

Until today I'd say he's had zero luck IMO

Eh? Give over man.

In terms of Howe, he's been with Bournemouth for two different spells and taken them from League 2 to the Premiership. If he was to leave the club I doubt it'd be for a team that doesn't show ambition, infact he'd probably see Newcastle as a sideways step given how restricted he'd be by the clueless f***ers in charge. And even if he was interested to the point of having sit-down talks with the club, 5 minutes in a room with Dizzy the Egg will be enough to have him on the first train back to the south coast.

I think he'd love to be Newcastle manager personally, but you're right, 5 mins with Humpty Dumpty would probably put paid to that.

To be fair to the both of you, I've obvious got such a low opinion on NUFC as a sporting entity having been subjected to it over the last 7 years or so of Ashley's reign and fumble after fumble of the ball on key decisions. Maybe our stock is still relatively high in the footballing world. I would be very surprised if it was though.

We will stumble about with him and make little or no progression as a squad or team imo.

Money wasted.

exactly, what a ridiculous comment.

Eh? Give over man.

I just mentioned Klopp as the opposite of Howe.  Whatever you may think we're still a big draw, that was the point.  If you were offered the chance to leave say Brighton and manage us would you do it?  Of course you would.

I just don't get this "I like him, he's honest" business. I'd rather have a complete cunt in charge who knows how to set up a football team. This guy seems to be another Pardew, scared of his own shadow with the two defensive midfielder nonsense.

I think he's going with what he's got, fully aware of our limitations. I don't think it's a coincidence that he's using our more limited players to enable our better players to do their thing. For example, there's always one of Anita or Colback sat at right back for periods whilst Janmaat pushes on.

If he gets a couple more players in January I will be significantly more judgemental of him.

I can see the reasoning you are going for there, but the fact is we were getting pissed on for 60 mins and he didn't change it. Take a forward off and bring on an extra midfielder if you are getting overrun. Don't play two defensive midfielders who get in each others way. This what managers are paid for.

Fair. I'm tending towards a semblance of optimism tbh, I accept that.

Eh? Give over man.

In terms of Howe, he's been with Bournemouth for two different spells and taken them from League 2 to the Premiership. If he was to leave the club I doubt it'd be for a team that doesn't show ambition, infact he'd probably see Newcastle as a sideways step given how restricted he'd be by the clueless f***ers in charge. And even if he was interested to the point of having sit-down talks with the club, 5 minutes in a room with Dizzy the Egg will be enough to have him on the first train back to the south coast.

I just mentioned Klopp as the opposite of Howe.  Whatever you may think we're still a big draw, that was the point.  If you were offered the chance to leave say Brighton and manage us would you do it?  Of course you would.

Fair enough.  :)

There is definitely a difference in being the manager of a team that has been in the championship for a number of years and being the manager of a team that you have taken from the very bottom of the football league to the main stage of English football. Hand on heart I would probably want to stick it out with the club that I've essentially built from the bottom. At least for a little while.

Eh? Give over man.

Fair enough.  :)

There is definitely a difference in being the manager of a team that has been in the championship for a number of years and being the manager of a team that you have taken from the very bottom of the football league to the main stage of English football. Hand on heart I would probably want to stick it out with the club that I've essentially built from the bottom. At least for a little while.

aye, but imagine being the next Keegan - that's the draw

obviously these days that draw is tempered by the fact that your best chance of success will be to sell some socks in SD

Money wasted.

exactly, what a ridiculous comment.

So he didn't get lucky today? that was what I meant.

Seeing as Howe and Klopp are both getting mentions in this thread, I would like to say that they play the game how I like to see it played. High pressing game and lots of running. McClaren seems to be the other type like Pardew, prefers to sit back and keep it tight. I accept he probably hasn't got the players to play a higher line, but I doubt he'd be looking to do it anyway.

The useless cunt keeps playing with two defensive midfielders even though  it is totally to the detriment of the team. He is in the same bracket as Pardew and Carver and actually today was one of the worst performances I have seen in years and Bournemouth will not believe how they have not won by 3 or 4 goals today. Progress my fucking arse!

Guest Howaythetoon

Tiote and Anita especially are nothing players. They are not very mobile, they are not quick footed enough to work in tight spaces and they can't spot a pass either. Nor can they tackle. Playing them together is essentially wasting a shirt and playing almost with 10 men. The same applies with Colback.

You can have a midfielder or two who sit and don't get forward if you have players around them who can get forward, but those two sitting need to be able to move around, have quick feet to get out of tight spaces or away from pressing opposition and they must also be able to play the ball out and about. None of this cowardly sideways and backwards passing or 10 yard forward passes that is the hallmark of Colback's game. Tackling is good, but hardly essential.

If we are to use a sitting midfielder then we need someone who is mobile, a good passer and someone who can shift his feet/body etc. when being pressed or in traffic.

Of all our players Gini can do that, however we would lose his goal threat so its a must that we sign someone who can.

Today you could argue Tiote and Anita did their defensive jobs, but they didn't. Being so deep and so inept meant the attack and attacking midfield had nothing to serve them and the defence had nothing to give to so it was constant backs to the wall stuff and inviting the opposition onto us. But for Elliott and poor finishing and it would have been a hammering, this with two DCM...