Steve McClaren

Dave

Next week will show whether the last two really have been a turning point but I think he deserves a lot of credit for those two wins.

The players have been better against the top teams, are they self motivated?

Mitro and Perez did drop their levels a bit, he mixed up the one area he could and that's no bad thing to do.

Having the SDJ/Cisse and Perez/Mitro combos to play is very useful. Very different set of dynamics and to switch between them in a game must unsettle sides. I'm sort of happy with the idea of the former getting the starts as long as the latter always come on second half.

The former seem to be Keyser Soze's convincing people they have actually been effective without existing at all. The other way around for me, please: Mitro/Ayoze to start every game and to be replaced at the half or 60min if they're not doing the job. They're young and hungry and skillful and overall better, we need to let them finally form a partnership and get used to playing in the side. And this can only happen by them starting games.

Pretty hard stat to find and I'm 99% sure the answer is no, but I'd love to know if Pardew ever won us a game from behind at HT with the sub(s) scoring the goals

Same fixture last year?

Pretty sure that was the only time we ever came back from being behind at half time when he was here. One of the scorers was sub in that game (Sammy).

Pretty hard stat to find and I'm 99% sure the answer is no, but I'd love to know if Pardew ever won us a game from behind at HT with the sub(s) scoring the goals

Same fixture last year?

Nearly, Ayoze started. Sammy came on though

Guest Howaythetoon

I admit I don't like the way we are playing at the moment but it has produced two surprising results. Do we lack the players to play possession/passing football or is it a case of having zero confidence to play such football? Hopefully with these two results we will see more football being played and continue to pick up points.

My own personal opinion, however, is that we lack the right kind of players and that if McClaren is to succeed, he needs players better suited to how he wants us to play. If this isn't a fluke, it does bode well that he can set the team up to play a different game to how he sees things long-term, to grind out short-term results. It is the kind of stuff that can keep a team up.

Again I dont think he is the right man for us and ideally a relegation would be good to help with the AO movement, but I cannot dislike McClaren and I'm happy for him.

His pre and post match interview was totally different to Pardew. He's an honest, thoughtful guy who doesn't get carried away or becomes too despondent. Hard work, spirit etc. has been his mantra for a few weeks now and as cliched as it is, hard work and commitment can go a long way in any form of business, sport or otherwise.

We obviously improved when Mitorvic and Perez came on, but I'd stick with the same starting 11 against Villa at home.

I admit I don't like the way we are playing at the moment but it has produced two surprising results. Do we lack the players to play possession/passing football or is it a case of having zero confidence to play such football? Hopefully with these two results we will see more football being played and continue to pick up points.

My own personal opinion, however, is that we lack the right kind of players and that if McClaren is to succeed, he needs players better suited to how he wants us to play. If this isn't a fluke, it does bode well that he can set the team up to play a different game to how he sees things long-term, to grind out short-term results. It is the kind of stuff that can keep a team up.

Again I dont think he is the right man for us and ideally a relegation would be good to help with the AO movement, but I cannot dislike McClaren and I'm happy for him.

His pre and post match interview was totally different to Pardew. He's an honest, thoughtful guy who doesn't get carried away or becomes too despondent. Hard work, spirit etc. has been his mantra for a few weeks now and as cliched as it is, hard work and commitment can go a long way in any form of business, sport or otherwise.

We obviously improved when Mitorvic and Perez came on, but I'd stick with the same starting 11 against Villa at home.

The current style is far away from how we started the season and he seems to have just gone for something more short-term, not that we were playing any different when we last looked competent 6 weeks back or so. I'm not that bothered about a philosophy, for now, our players are too mish-mash and any longevity in style is going to take some smart recruiting (HA).

massive result for him today, as big as last weeks in many ways because he had to show last weeks wasnt a fluke.

I like him and want him to do well but still think the next two will show as much as the last two.

here's hoping we do the business against villa and everton.

Massive two results for him. After this there should be enough confidence for this lot to go on and pick up points regularly.

I wouldn't say that, like. We're still massively short at CB and CM and we won't get much consistency until that's rectified, IMO.

But we've got goals in us so the confidence boost should at least help us on that score. At least now if we go behind our heads shouldn't drop and that's been a big issue for us all year.

Massive two results for him. After this there should be enough confidence for this lot to go on and pick up points regularly.

I wouldn't say that, like. We're still massively short at CB and CM and we won't get much consistency until that's rectified, IMO.

But we've got goals in us so the confidence boost should at least help us on that score. At least now if we go behind our heads shouldn't drop and that's been a big issue for us all year.

Next week is a huge test. We're usually absolutely awful when we open up our shape a bit due to our lack of athleticism and I'm not expecting much from the winnable fixtures we've got coming up.

Happy for him. Somehow he's also managed to create a little bit of competition between Cisse/de Jong and Mitro/Perez which is nice as there hasn't been a real competition for a place in the team for years.